• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tram Driver/Controller job advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartazb

hi guys! i hope someone can help me to prepare for a tram test for driver/controller. im all new to the tram and rail. wasn't sure if that's a right forum but there isn't one for trams only. i just got a job offer from Edinburgh tram which i applied for 4 years ago and luckily got a answer 2 weeks ago. i already passed stage 1 which included sift, scaat, raat and safepq tests. next stage includes:

1) The Control Room Test - a work orientated computer based exercise designed to measure characteristics identified as being essential for control room work.
2) The Railway Communication Exercises - a work orientated exercise designed to measure the competency of receiving verbal information in order to create a
written communication.
3) Face to face interview

Does anyone could give me any advice what to expect from these tests and how they will look like. i have been advised that there are not any practice materials and all information needed will be provided during the test. I just want to do anything to be best prepared for them.

The test is this Thursday, All your help would be much appreciated.

also following that there will be a medical test (drug an alcohol). Does it mean i should not be drinking at all!? Sorry for all those questions but like i said im totally new.

thanks Bartek

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hi guys! i hope someone can help me to prepare for a tram test for driver/controller. im all new to the tram and rail. wasn't sure if that's a right forum but there isn't one for trams only. i just got a job offer from Edinburgh tram which i applied for 4 years ago and luckily got a answer 2 weeks ago. i already passed stage 1 which included sift, scaat, raat and safepq tests. next stage includes:

1) The Control Room Test - a work orientated computer based exercise designed to measure characteristics identified as being essential for control room work.
2) The Railway Communication Exercises - a work orientated exercise designed to measure the competency of receiving verbal information in order to create a
written communication.
3) Face to face interview

Does anyone could give me any advice what to expect from these tests and how they will look like. i have been advised that there are not any practice materials and all information needed will be provided during the test. I just want to do anything to be best prepared for them.

The test is this Thursday, All your help would be much appreciated.

also following that there will be a medical test (drug an alcohol). Does it mean i should not be drinking at all!? Sorry for all those questions but like i said im totally new.

thanks Bartek

Not sure about these specific tests, but a company called OPC in Watford took over the phycometric tests from British Rail in 1996 and as such nearly all Train operatating companies use their tests.

However, as a tram doesen't use Network Rail owned infrustructure, so not sure about if they are "legally" required to use OPC approved tests.

TRAMGM

Hi mate, I would be interested to know how this went, as I am also going through the Edinburgh trams recruitment process at the moment. I hope you got the job, as it would be good to get in touch with someone already 'on the inside' as it were.

I doubt the drug and alcohol tests would mean you couldn't have anything to drink outside work, just that you aren't off your head at the actual interview. Although with Edinburgh Trams, that might actually be an advantage! LOL!

Anyway, hope you got the job, after your 4 year wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.