• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tram driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

john71

hi all,

I’ve been lucky enough to be offered a drivers job for tramlink in Croydon. I have a start date in Jan.

Does anyone on here have knowledge of shift patterns/ rest day patterns? More out of curiosity than anything because I’ve landed my dream job really so am happy to do whatever. Is there much opportunity for overtime?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barry K

From what the unions are saying, make sure you pack your headache pills, as the driver alertness monitoring system allegedly causes headaches.....

Coylie

Hi guys,

New member here, my first post, so apologies if it’s in the wrong place.

I have also recently applied for the trainee tram drivers role, passed my telephone interview last week. I was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me with what the assessments involve etc

Any guidance anyone could offer would be of great help.

Thanks in advance

Steve

john71

There is a timetable test and the scaat test on one day. If successful then you have a driving assessment and interview straight after.

Coylie

Hi John,

Thanks for that, what is a time table assessment, can’t seem to find any details on the web anywhere?

Steve

john71

Don’t know official title of the test but it’s basically finding out how long to get from point a to b or what time departing/arriving etc. 25 questions which get progressively harder

Coylie

Thanks John

I’ll start swotting up on the time tables!!

Thanks again.

Tram17

hi all,

I’ve been lucky enough to be offered a drivers job for tramlink in Croydon. I have a start date in Jan.

Does anyone on here have knowledge of shift patterns/ rest day patterns? More out of curiosity than anything because I’ve landed my dream job really so am happy to do whatever. Is there much opportunity for overtime?

Many thanks in advance

Hi John,

This is my first post on the rail forum... I have been through the rigmarole of completing test ect to be offered a conditional 20/550 offer of employment.. my finals was in December 2017 (dream job , and had waitied over 3 years for the opportunity) any chance you could private message me? As I have tried to call and email the HE Dept for an update.. btw congrats on you starting and any tips or advice would be much appreciated. T (most gracious )

john71

Hi mate. I’m not sure how to private message but if you send me a message I’ll respond

Bromley boy

Established Member
Hi John,

This is my first post on the rail forum... I have been through the rigmarole of completing test ect to be offered a conditional 20/550 offer of employment.. my finals was in December 2017 (dream job , and had waitied over 3 years for the opportunity) any chance you could private message me? As I have tried to call and email the HE Dept for an update.. btw congrats on you starting and any tips or advice would be much appreciated. T (most gracious )

Pretty sure you need to have made 5 posts before you can PM people.

mb88

A 'timetable test' is rather curious. What's the purpose of that?

It's not to test that you've memorised the actual real timetable. You are given a made-up timetable with made-up station names and are asked questions like 'you are at station B at 09:00 when is the next train to station D' or 'how long does the train take from station A to station C'.

I have my assessment centre for Tramlink tomorrow. Anyone know if parking is available on-site or nearby? I have emailed them but received no response.

Bourlea

There is parking on the streets around the depot but if you get a space is another thing.
Have you thought about parking near a tram stop and getting the tram in?

mb88

Possibly, I'm coming from Orpington way so what would be best do you think? I know there's nowhere to park at Addington Village.

joystick

There is enough parking outside .won't be a problem .You can park in Ikea if you are worried.

mb88

Brilliant thank you. I intend to leave in plenty time anyway in case I can’t get parked straight away and might have to walk a bit.

BestWestern

Established Member
It's not to test that you've memorised the actual real timetable. You are given a made-up timetable with made-up station names and are asked questions like 'you are at station B at 09:00 when is the next train to station D' or 'how long does the train take from station A to station C'.

Indeed, but I'm still perplexed as to what relevance that has to driving a tram? Do drivers routinely field complex timetable enquiries from passengers? One presumes drivers have a schedule card and a set route to follow and don't tend to need to plan their own journeys!

mb88

Indeed, but I'm still perplexed as to what relevance that has to driving a tram? Do drivers routinely field complex timetable enquiries from passengers? One presumes drivers have a schedule card and a set route to follow!

I think it’s just to demonstrate you can read a timetable as you will be having to work to one all day every day. I had to do a similar test when I first applied to be a bus driver.

Bourlea

Parking in Ikea is good, people disappear in there for hours, don’t think there is a time limit.

mb88

Brilliant to know, thank you! It’s not far from Ikea to the depot is it?

mb88

Ok that’s even better. No issues with visitors parking there though?

john71

I think as long as you have an interview/assessment you’d be ok. If not, do what I did and park out on street right outside depot

Marc1

Hi guys,

New member here, my first post, so apologies if it’s in the wrong place.

I have also recently applied for the trainee tram drivers role, passed my telephone interview last week. I was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me with what the assessments involve etc

Any guidance anyone could offer would be of great help.

Thanks in advance

Steve

How did you get on with it in the end ?

Coylie

Hi Marc,

Actually got my interview and driving assessment next Wednesday.

Was supposed to be last month but called off due to the snow. Assessments were fine heard back within a few days.

Steve

Marc1

Hi Marc,

Actually got my interview and driving assessment next Wednesday.

Was supposed to be last month but called off due to the snow. Assessments were fine heard back within a few days.

Steve
Great news , best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.