• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tram start time from Beckenham Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

CScale

I don't understand why the Beckenham Junction tram does start at 5am like most of the other starting tram stops. Addington, Elmers End and Wimbledon all start at 5am or before but BJ starts at 5.25 can someone explain why that is and why it can't start earlier. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does it depend on how long it takes to get a tram to get there from the Therapia Lane depot, in order to start the morning's service?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Looking at the London Trams timetable, the 0110 service from Beckenham Junction back towards East Croydon/Therapia Lane, seems decent enough for a last tram time. Could easily run back to the depot out of service.

MCR247

Established Member
I don't understand why the Beckenham Junction tram does start at 5am like most of the other starting tram stops. Addington, Elmers End and Wimbledon all start at 5am or before but BJ starts at 5.25 can someone explain why that is and why it can't start earlier. Thanks
Isn’t beckenham the furthest destination from the depot? So it takes the tram longest to get out from the depot to form the first service the other way

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Isn’t beckenham the furthest destination from the depot? So it takes the tram longest to get out from the depot to form the first service the other way
Think New Addington (and King Henry's Drive) are actually slightly further distant from the depot, but what possibly doesn't help is that there's first an 0414 departure from Therapia Lane to New Addington (arrives 0449), the next departure from Therapia Lane at 0421 is for Elmers End, arriving 0450, and there are two more services for these two terminii at 0429 (New Addington) and 0436 (Elmers End) until the 0442 tram from Therapia Lane finally sets off for Beckenham Junction, arriving 0518.

First inbound trams of the morning are from Elmers End at 0455 and 0510, from New Addington departing 0456 and 0511, and then from Beckenham Junction at 0525.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I would think this has a lot more to do with the number of passengers wanting to get from Beckenham to Croydon around that time in the morning. Over many years, from the 1950s onwards, the first bus on the 130 from New Addington to Croydon was at 04.52, whereas the earliest bus on the 54 from Beckenham Junction to Croydon was at 05.42 for most of the 1950s and 60s, and as late as 06.17 in the 1970s, though later on at 05.58. I suspect there are not many regular passengers aboard that 05.25 tram.

Veteran Member
I would think this has a lot more to do with the number of passengers wanting to get from Beckenham to Croydon around that time in the morning. Over many years, from the 1950s onwards, the first bus on the 130 from New Addington to Croydon was at 04.52, whereas the earliest bus on the 54 from Beckenham Junction to Croydon was at 05.42 for most of the 1950s and 60s, and as late as 06.17 in the 1970s, though later on at 05.58. I suspect there are not many regular passengers aboard that 05.25 tram.
Quite. New Addington has only the one significant public transport route out - Beckenham has a wider choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.