Tram surfing featured in the Manchester evening news

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Paul’s, 26 Jun 2019.

1. Paul’s

Paul’s Member

Hi
    Just found this article in the Manchester evening news. About the youth tram surfing in the Manchester area.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ser_Image_Story&utm_campaign=daily_newsletterHi

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Jun 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. robert7111a

robert7111a Established Member

PTSO or platform depending on the weather
    Used to happen a lot on the Networkers in S.E London when they had handrails on the cabs...

4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Whatever happened to the more innocent form of tram/Tube surfing - trying to stand up without holding on inside the vehicle?

5. robert7111a

robert7111a Established Member

PTSO or platform depending on the weather
    Clearly not as exciting as doing it on the outside...

6. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I do that a lot...

7. AndyB28

AndyB28 Member

A double to Rochdale? Deserves a medal for finding one!!!

8. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

He needed both for haulage but only had time to go one stop.

9. Jozhua

Jozhua Member

Don't really see any upside in doing this, still at the same risk of being caught fare dodging by ticket inspectors as they check everyone at the station when it stops...probably didn't get the memo.

Also imagine they wouldn't be too pleased to find him standing there! I would say he was doing it for entertainment, but he's calling on his phone so clearly not finding it that fun.

10. Flying Snail

Flying Snail Member

Come to Dublin to do it, there is a massive upside here. A girl who injured herself after falling off a tram got over half a million euro compensation. Apparently it was all the tram operator's fault for not having a tram that is not 100% smooth and the driver's fault for not checking every surface of the tram for a leech on departure from every stop.

11. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

The law is an ass sometimes. She should have been prosecuted and received £0.

12. Peter C

Peter C Member

This "tram-surfing" is stupid. Idiotic. If people feel as though they must risk their lives to have fun, something's gone seriously wrong with their lives already. If they fall off, they will probably be killed (if they are riding on the couplings). People surf on Metro trains sometimes as well; there's a thing on BBC 3's YouTube page about a group of young lads who lost a mate through train surfing on the Paris Metro.

I like trying that. But trying on a packed Central Line train isn't the best place to do it - managed to stand on someone's foot when the train started off! Also, doing it on a Class 800 trundling along the Cotswold Line looks a bit weird, so... :) (But doing it on a 166, stood up in the area by the driver's cab with the bike racks, is fun!:))

These people that do this "tram surfing" are idiots. There's no nice way of describing them.

-Peter

13. 507 001

507 001 Established Member

At least four double sets out every day except Sundays.

14. AndyB28

AndyB28 Member

Not at any useful time though. On the days I use the trams I never see one and I work normal office hours. Even though it's a six-minute service past Shaw it's still usually crammed after Oldham/Freehold (sorry, wandering OT).

15. Clip

Clip On Moderation

Whilst i am not condoning their actions by doing this but they do it for the same thrill you'd get from throwing yourself out of a plane or even a roller coaster - you dont have to have had something gone wrong in your life to take part in things that give you a thrill

16. Peter C

Peter C Member

What I meant was that something has already gone wrong in their lives for them to think that it is a good idea to do this sort of thing. If they start risking their lives jumping out of planes under professional supervision, that's alright. But risking their lives standing on small couplings between trams? Nope! Death could easily happen in both cases, yes, but one is professionally monitored and one is just stupid.

-Peter

17. Arctic Troll

Arctic Troll Established Member

You get thrill seekers everywhere. The fact it is dangerous is why they do it. Look at free climbers.

18. Peter C

Peter C Member

I know that, but they need to be taught that if they do tram surfing they may not come home at the end of the day. Assuming these people are locals who do this surfing, I would hope that the local police would tell them to stop with consequences if they don't.

-Peter