• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tramlink derailment Monday 2018-04-09

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebmcr

Established Member
Sparse details on TfL's status page (screenshotted for posterity):
Tramlink.PNG

Upon some digging I found this Croydon Advertiser article with a quote from TfL that it was just a depot movement:

TfL (via Croydon Advertiser) said:
We are investigating a slow speed partial derailment at Therapia Lane tram depot this morning. The tram involved was not in passenger service and there were no injuries. There is currently no service between Mitcham Junction and Reeves Corner while this is fixed by our engineers. I apologise to customers for the delays to their journeys.

I would have thought that 2016's derailment means a less-vague message on the status page would be a PR priority!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Whats vague about it? It clearly states the areas of disruption and the reason why. Don't see why the 2016 incident should factor into it.

rebmcr

Established Member
Particularly, I would have expected them to emphasise the fact that it was not on a passenger section of line.

The organisation that concerns itself with passengers worrying "Oh no, we're stopped in a tunnel for more than 30 seconds" seems like the organisation that would also concern itself with someone worrying "OMG I could have travelled on that bit!".

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Info they dished out seems good. You don't want to overload passengers with information; they only need the key points that will impact their service. Extra information is just for those who are interested in whats going on.

Jona26

Trams are now running again between over the whole network with some residual delays.

Praise must go to TfL for the updates - 1 email this morning to inform of the disruption and one at 5.00pm to say the service had resumed.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Don't understand why the tram derailment stopped service at the Beckenham Junction end though: that must have been a separate problem.

rebmcr

Established Member
Don't understand why the tram derailment stopped service at the Beckenham Junction end though: that must have been a separate problem.

Perhaps few units were able to be taken off depot, and they chose to concentrate the service where it was not paralleled by National Rail?

Clip

Established Member
Perhaps few units were able to be taken off depot, and they chose to concentrate the service where it was not paralleled by National Rail?

Probably but doing it on the single track section keeps everyone on one platform and one direction only to ease confusion. Must have been a fair few out as thats coming to the end of the peak

Status
Not open for further replies.