• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tramway signalling systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

507 001

Established Member
Hi,
Basically I was wondering what the UK's other tramways use for there signalling and control systems? I'm familiar with metrolinks TMS and VRS systems and I have spotted what looks to be a TMS control box in the cab of a Croydon tram found on t'interweb. However I can find no reference to similar systems being used on other tramways.

Cheers
Rob

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notadriver

Established Member
It seems to be a mixture of two aspect green or red signalling on segregated lines with the horizontal or vertical stop/go on street sections if that's what you mean ?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Only Metrolink has the two aspect red and green signalling and that will go when TMS is finished. Tyne and Wear is similar but that's not a tramway.

All other tramways only have signals conveyed by bars of white lights, and points position indicators which are similar but sometimes orange. These are similar to road traffic lights in that they don't convey absolute permission to proceed, more an indication that a junction is correctly set but drivers still have to look out for other trams and other obstacles.

507 001

Established Member
It seems to be a mixture of two aspect green or red signalling on segregated lines with the horizontal or vertical stop/go on street sections if that's what you mean ?

Sort of.
What I meant was, on metrolink the red/green block signals are operated using VRS to ensure a correct route is set. The street running/line of sight areas use TMS for the same reason. What do other tramways use for this purpose?

The reason I ask is I want to find out how many other tramways use TMS

edwin_m

Veteran Member
TMS is really an integration of a number of things, including a system to identify the vehicles, logic controllers for the signals and points, control room systems, passenger information systems/interfaces etc etc. I believe TMS uses a proprietary system to identify which tram is where and what route it is taking, and since I haven't seem duplicate equipment in the cabs I wonder if it is just the same system as already used in the city centre.

507 001

Established Member
TMS is really an integration of a number of things, including a system to identify the vehicles, logic controllers for the signals and points, control room systems, passenger information systems/interfaces etc etc. I believe TMS uses a proprietary system to identify which tram is where and what route it is taking, and since I haven't seem duplicate equipment in the cabs I wonder if it is just the same system as already used in the city centre.

It is used in the city centre, however only in the last couple of years.
Before that the city centre was controlled using VRS

Manchester77

Established Member
The ex-BR lines also had ATS (Automatic Tram Stop) with VRS only operating on the Eccles line and City Centre

Waikikibaby

My understanding of TMS is Tram Management System. Croydon Tramlink use it to see where the trams are, it updates the Passenger Information Displays (PIDs), it shows any faults on the system and sounds audible alarms for things such as point failures, signal failures and other things such as faulty PIDs, Ticket machines etc etc

Each tram has a transponder under the cab which receives and sends information via the black 'loops' located on the ground. These can sometimes be seen at the end of each tramstop unless it's been buried under the road tarmac. Drivers have the ability to press a button in the cab (RTS = ready to start) to request the signal to change but most are automatic as the driver approaches. We also have point dependant signals and Point Position indicators (PPIs) that alert the driver as to which way the points are set.

I'm sure there's a few things I've probably missed but feel free to ask and I'll find out for you.

507 001

Established Member
My understanding of TMS is Tram Management System. Croydon Tramlink use it to see where the trams are, it updates the Passenger Information Displays (PIDs), it shows any faults on the system and sounds audible alarms for things such as point failures, signal failures and other things such as faulty PIDs, Ticket machines etc etc

Each tram has a transponder under the cab which receives and sends information via the black 'loops' located on the ground. These can sometimes be seen at the end of each tramstop unless it's been buried under the road tarmac. Drivers have the ability to press a button in the cab (RTS = ready to start) to request the signal to change but most are automatic as the driver approaches. We also have point dependant signals and Point Position indicators (PPIs) that alert the driver as to which way the points are set.

I'm sure there's a few things I've probably missed but feel free to ask and I'll find out for you.

Sounds pretty much the same as the Manchester system. Cheers

Established Member
Tyne and Wear Metro (although not a tram system) has Positive Train Identification, which again is linked to an Automatic Route Setting system, and also shows the destinations on the platform boards. Signalling is 3 aspect on the Metro system itself then 4 aspect on the Sunderland line.

Established Member
The Trainstop mechanism is probably the best thing about the system. Very safe.

BestWestern

Established Member
What are Blackpool using nowadys; presumably the new europlastics are far too swish to operate without some sort of complicated signalling/management gubbins? When they had proper trams I'm pretty sure the most technical bits were the odd few 'stop/procede' white light bar indications at track/road junctions. I don't recall there being apparent any points indicators, the serious smash at Pleasure Beach years ago just resulted in stricter instructions regarding drivers observing points and conductors being responsible for resetting them I think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.