• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trans Pennine Class 170 Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

Not to sure why but tonights 19:08 York-Manchester Airport service had a Class 170 allocated to it in place of the normal Class 185, not to sure why though unless anyone has got any ideas

What lines are these cleared for, the only reason why I ask is that a Class 170 made an appearance in York today and I was wondering whether they are actually cleared for anywhere North of York i.e. Scarborough & Newcastle

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I didn't think they had fixed diagrams either. Are they not often used on late night services to keep the costs down?

sprinterguy

Established Member
170s in general are cleared to run up the East Coast from York through Newcastle and on to Edinburgh, SPTEs' first two have made that trip for starters, but in the case of Transpennines' 170/3s then I don't know whether their range is restricted by the route knowledge of the drivers who are trained on them.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
but in the case of Transpennines' 170/3s then I don't know whether their range is restricted by the route knowledge of the drivers who are trained on them.

I'm pretty sure they can't go further north than York with TPE due to traction knowledge/route knowledge.

They stay fixed mainly to the Hull-Manchester Piccadilly route and the Cleepthorpes-Manchester Airport.

Though think a couple of sunday diagrams serve York too.

TheBigD

Established Member
Back in MML days their 170/1's worked to Scarborough on summer Saturdays.

Crossover

Established Member
There is an FO York - Manchester worked by 170's I believe (I have caught it before part way on the route) - that is what I know of anyway, there may be others

I think they may also occasionally venture down to the airport but nothing regular from what I have seen.

If on a Newcastle/Middlesbrough/Scarborough service, I think it would be a safe bet to reckon on getting a 185.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If on a Newcastle/Middlesbrough/Scarborough service, I think it would be a safe bet to reckon on getting a 185.

And if a 170 did turn up on one of those services it be a fairly safe bet that you'd be kicked out at York (assuming it was heading north)!

David

Established Member
I think they may also occasionally venture down to the airport but nothing regular from what I have seen.

4 a day from Cleethorpes (M-S). These are the 0926, 1126, 1626 and 1826 from Cleethorpes. Not sure about the Sunday diagrams though.

The worst part of the 170 diagrams on the South TPE route however, as Monday to Friday, they are only diagrammed for a single 170, and the 0926 ex Cleethorpes (1008 from Scunthorpe) is the first train that you can use to get to a lot of destinations with an off peak ticket ....

Boothby97

Established Member
Not sure about the Sunday diagrams though.

I'm not sure about timings but I think they work Manchester-Doncaster and back then to Cleethorpes and back.
Two normally work it on a Sunday in the Summer, while those in Winter are sometimes single. There is also a diagram for Saturday aswell which is 2 units.
Thanks, Sam

blackfive460

Not to sure why but tonights 19:08 York-Manchester Airport service had a Class 170 allocated to it in place of the normal Class 185, not to sure why though unless anyone has got any ideas.
Almost certainly due to the requirement to strengthen some Liverpool - Scarborough workings up to 6 cars yesterday.

calc7

Established Member
I've been on quite a few 170s on Sundays, often doing the limited stop core expresses (MAN-HUD-LDS[-YRK]).

Status
Not open for further replies.