• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Transatlantic Tunnel"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
We can be sure that such a project won't be undertaken even well beyond our lifetimes.

There are too many engineering challenges without viable solutions.
I'm concerned about the great depths (over 4000 metres) either side of the mountainous mid Atlantic ridge; these will introduce phenomenal pressures and geologic movement. Any structure which is to be resilient and maintainable in the face of such forces and with a lifespan of say 100 years will be quite unlike anything we've put undersea or into space - it could never be viable to have a programme of rolling maintenance, renewals and a regime of controlled failures all of which operate concurrently with a public service.

The Arctic route via Greenland doesn't involve quite the same challenges, but would still present huge difficulties.

Actually, I'm struggling to anticipate what sort of demand there might be for that journey 100 years after its inauguration. And what the announcements for delay might say!

NightStar

I personally don't think it will ever happen for atleast 150 years, if ever? However linking the US to Europe Via Russia is a serious possibility, When you consider a tunnel from Siberia to Alaska would be considerably shorter than going via the Atlantic.

Robert

NY Yankee

Since my country would rather spend money on wars than infrastructure, this will never happen. Republicans in America hate anything that runs on rails.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Indeed, I'm sure you exist in number. TBF it's not the first false allegation NY Yankee has made against the Right, I'm still waiting for his evidence that all Republicans are racist too (bear in mind that would include Alice Cooper, Robert Duvall and Chuck Norris, can't say I've ever seen them be openly racist...).

Flamingo

Established Member
More chance of a bridge, in my opinion. Probably less of an engineering challenge as well!

Heinz57

Whilst it is possible to bridge the strait. The problem we've got is the conditions. They can get horrendously bad up there, not only would it be difficult for the construction workers, but that the bridge and connecting highway would only be able to open for about half the year. Plus out there you are miles from the nearest hospital, so should something go wrong then it will be difficult.

It was discussed in depth in this very interesting episode of Extreme Engineering...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WardPoUe4ag

The transatlantic tunnel was also discussed in another episode...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuy7WGD1z0&feature=related

Its very interesting, it discusses the design and construction constraints, as well as how to get the passengers to cope with the extreme Gs that they would encounter at the speeds the trains would need to travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.