• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

aswilliamsuk

I wonder if there was some clause in the sale that the “Rosso” name had to be kept, as it’s slightly odd it’s been kept even with the same logo (although of course many of the key services now have their own brand) when everything else including now Yorkshire Tiger has been renamed or rebranded over the years.
As I recall there was indeed a clause in the sale that ensured the Rosso name remained. How long for I'm not sure, but it clearly works, so why change when not needed?

As for Yorkshire Tiger, it's perhaps unsurprising that the name is going. It was always a low-cost unit, and probably has been even more low-cost with the ongoing cost-cutting and starving of investment at Arriva in the past few years.

A fresh start is absolutely needed, and as someone who grew up in Yorkshire Traction territory south-east of Huddersfield, perhaps Transdev can finally give this unloved corner of the bus world some attention and, crucially, some investment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dusty_Bin

Yeah, when I first read it I thought the company was just called "Pennine" (which is a decent enough traditional style name) and "Team Pennine" was what they'd call the staff collectively, e.g. "meet Team Pennine, we drive your buses for you" with some pics and bios etc, as is Hornby's style.

No doubt it's a Stenning job, but as happens occasionally (the frankly rubbish VTEC livery, for example) he does get it wrong from time to time, and I think he has with this one.
Neither Best Impression or Ray would decide on Team Pennine, that’s a business decision by the board of directors.

RustySpoons

Neither Best Impression or Ray would decide on Team Pennine, that’s a business decision by the board of directors.
I think Ray will have had some input, but I do agree that the names will mostly be decided by the company, then Ray will pick his two favourite colours of the moment to colour them in.

Also worth noting that if it's anything like the rest of the network nearly every route will be relaunched with it's own brand, so as with Rosso very little could actually be branded with the 'local' company name, ie '[brand name], by Transdev'

peterblue

I think the name of the company is irrelevant to most customers. What matters is whether it'll be any good!

It is an unusual name but I don't dislike it.

HarryL

Also worth noting that if it's anything like the rest of the network nearly every route will be relaunched with it's own brand, so as with Rosso very little could actually be branded with the 'local' company name, ie '[brand name], by Transdev'
I feel as though that only really happened at Rosso because they couldn't change it's name, so they changed everything else instead and barely used Rosso. Had they been able to change it, I'd say a lot of those line brands probably wouldn't have happened to the extent they did.

Ashly_Jethro

I feel as though that only really happened at Rosso because they couldn't change it's name, so they changed everything else instead and barely used Rosso. Had they been able to change it, I'd say a lot of those line brands probably wouldn't have happened to the extent they did.
I hear this a lot about Rosso but don’t forget all the other brands just say “by Transdev” too with the exception on the brand being a route number. WitchWay, HotLine, DalesWay, even the 36 don’t showcase their Local Brand, of course you have their media details on the interior but that’s it.

RustySpoons

Whats LJ51DKL moved to Transdev for?
York Sightseeing at a guess.

As to why they've gone for a single 20 year old open top DAF when the rest of the fleet are Tridents and Enviros is anyones guess.

There's also an ex-Lothian B9TL operating for Rosso in PoTN/Transdev Go colours, SN57GNJ fleet number 2450.

No idea if they've got more yet.

I think Ray will have had some input, but I do agree that the names will mostly be decided by the company, then Ray will pick his two favourite colours of the moment to colour them in.

I don't personally feel that the current Yorkshire Tiger network lends itself to that much route branding as there are a lot of hourly tendered routes, of which some interwork with each other. I see more of a 'Keighley Jets' scenario for local routes; with branding only being applied to key routes/ corridors such as the Pellon/ Rye Lane area routes. Maybe if Transdev were to decide to compete with First/ take over some routes then we could see some route branding there, as I can see that as the only way to expand the network around that area, apart from taking on new tenders (though tiger might already pretty much have them all already).

I could see Transdev acquiring TLC around Hebden Bridge/ Todmorden and would be interesting to see them take on the 590/ 592 as this would fit perfectly into their existing network, though I'm sure First would be extremely reluctant to ever give these up.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I don't personally feel that the current Yorkshire Tiger network lends itself to that much route branding as there are a lot of hourly tendered routes, of which some interwork with each other. I see more of a 'Keighley Jets' scenario for local routes; with branding only being applied to key routes/ corridors such as the Pellon/ Rye Lane area routes. Maybe if Transdev were to decide to compete with First/ take over some routes then we could see some route branding there, as I can see that as the only way to expand the network around that area, apart from taking on new tenders (though tiger might already pretty much have them all already).

I could see Transdev acquiring TLC around Hebden Bridge/ Todmorden and would be interesting to see them take on the 590/ 592 as this would fit perfectly into their existing network, though I'm sure First would be extremely reluctant to ever give these up.
I agree that the Halifax or Huddersfield tendered routes aren't going to be individually route branded, though isn't that what Calder Cubs is/was. You might have a network branding more in line with the Ribble Country network just launched, though alternatively it might be Team Pennine is used as it is generalistic. However, you could see the 83/84 and the 435/6/7 getting some type of individual route branding.

However, I don't see Transdev buying TLC; they didn't need to buy anyone to the Ribble Country routes. They may well have their eye on those Calder Valley locals but waiting for them to come to tender is more their modus operandii. Similarly, I have no expectation that they will mix it with First on the 590/592, though I concede that First need to up their game on those routes.

CBlue

Given the state Yorkshire Tiger appears to be in, I think Transdev have far higher priorities than getting into a petty spat with First. Hopefully the sparkle they put on other operations will work here too.

RustySpoons

That's a good point. I'm not too clued up on the YT network on routes they're inheriting but that makes sense.

However, I don't see Transdev buying TLC; they didn't need to buy anyone to the Ribble Country routes. They may well have their eye on those Calder Valley locals but waiting for them to come to tender is more their modus operandii. Similarly, I have no expectation that they will mix it with First on the 590/592, though I concede that First need to up their game on those routes.

I wonder if First will put up a bit of a fight for the Calder Valley routes when they come up to tender considering they're still the dominant operator in the area and they'll feed in to their own network? On the other hand they could leave them to go to another operator, knowing that passengers that use them to connect with First services will still buy First day/week tickets to continue their journey regardless.

Transdev did compete on the Burnley - Todmorden corridor for a while in the past, on the 92 service that was inherited from Northern Blue - it was later renumbered and tied in with one of the Burnley local services, the 1 I think. If the Tod/Hebden services were won by Transdev I wonder if they'd compete similarly again to connect the network up slightly better?

Ashly_Jethro

Transdev did compete on the Burnley - Todmorden corridor for a while in the past, on the 92 service that was inherited from Northern Blue - it was later renumbered and tied in with one of the Burnley local services, the 1 I think. If the Tod/Hebden services were won by Transdev I wonder if they'd compete similarly again to connect the network up slightly better?
I think given Blazefield’s current standards, first wouldn’t stand a chance. All they use now is clapped out eclipse 1s. I thinks they’d rather concede than invest in a new high spec fleet to compete

cnjb8

Established Member
I think given Blazefield’s current standards, first wouldn’t stand a chance. All they use now is clapped out eclipse 1s. I thinks they’d rather concede than invest in a new high spec fleet to compete
I disagree. Look at Scotland East and Lothian! First don’t seem to be that company that gives up anymore

Andyh82

Established Member
That's a good point. I'm not too clued up on the YT network on routes they're inheriting but that makes sense.

I wonder if First will put up a bit of a fight for the Calder Valley routes when they come up to tender considering they're still the dominant operator in the area and they'll feed in to their own network? On the other hand they could leave them to go to another operator, knowing that passengers that use them to connect with First services will still buy First day/week tickets to continue their journey regardless.

People said that when Transdev bought Rosso, but there is still a small gap between Todmorden (Rosso) and Hebden Bridge (Keighley Bus) that hasn’t been filled and they see no interest in filling just to join the dots on a map

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I disagree. Look at Scotland East and Lothian! First don’t seem to be that company that gives up anymore
Exactly. The same was said in Scotland but the First business in 2021 is much different from that in 2011. Rather ignores the fairly cordial approach that Transdev have with First as well.

Ashly_Jethro

Exactly. The same was said in Scotland but the First business in 2021 is much different from that in 2011. Rather ignores the fairly cordial approach that Transdev have with First as well.
I know some subsidiaries are doing better and even managed better than other areas. They only recently gave up on their 589 service. Perhaps something that could have been saved with the right investment as it ran buses in the same sort of condition as the current Burnley - Todmorden route. I agree that some areas of First are changing for the better but not all. Anyway

I know some subsidiaries are doing better and even managed better than other areas. They only recently gave up on their 589 service. Perhaps something that could have been saved with the right investment as it ran buses in the same sort of condition as the current Burnley - Todmorden route. I agree that some areas of First are changing for the better but not all. Anyway
Last time I went to Burnley; 592s were leaving towards Todmorden / Halifax totally full, and that was even before restrictions had been 'fully' eased (to this current point anyway). I had to wait 2 hours to get on one.

I think it is ridiculous that they cut it to an hourly service.

Last edited by a moderator:

RustySpoons

Last time I went to Burnley; 592s were leaving towards Tod/ Halifax totally full, and that was even before restrictions had been 'fully' eased (to this current point anyway). I had to wait 2 hours to get on one.

I think it is ridiculous that they cut it to an hourly service.
It's a well used service. Transdev don't serve anywhere past Pike Hill so even before it crosses the border into Yorkshire there's huge amount of custom to be had.

Does seem odd they've cut it back to hourly.

cnjb8

Established Member
West Yorkshire seems to be a well invested corner of the First empire. Yes, Halifax and Huddersfield do seem to average low on fleet age but IF Transdev decide to compete, I don’t see First sitting idly by.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

It did become part of the 1.

For those remaining within West Yorkshire, they'll but MCard tickets rather than First and another operator's.

First showed no enthusiasm for running the Hebden Bridge and Todmorden local services when they did. They seem to lose more of the Calderdale tendered network every time a new batch of routes come up (which then means more people can't use single operator tickets on all the routes they might use).

RustySpoons

Today marks the 20th anniversary of continuous service from the Y-HRN batch of B10BLEs out of Queensgate. A fantastic achievement. They may not look as good as they did when they were new and they're starting to feel quite tired inside but they're still as comfortable and refined now as they were 20 years ago and could still be used as a benchmark for quality that a lot of modern stuff can't reach.

Redmike

They must have a couple more years left in them. Some of the 02 examples at Blackburn have only just been repainted. For smooth and rattle free journeys they can’t be beaten.

RustySpoons

The Mercedes Mellor combo looks to be the Transdev minibus of chouce as it looks like there's another batch on order for the Yorkshire Tiger/Team Pennine operation.

@TeamPennine Twitter
1 in 5 buses will be replaced within the next three months of our arrival in Kirklees and Calderdale, including the first new buses in Halifax for over 6 years. Better buses and better times lie ahead http://TeamPennine.co.uk
Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 09.30.21.png

After a few teething issues the Mellors over in Lancashire have quickly settled in and appear to be generally well received by passengers.

The Mercedes Mellor combo looks to be the Transdev minibus of chouce as it looks like there's another batch on order for the Yorkshire Tiger/Team Pennine operation.

@TeamPennine Twitter

View attachment 98555

After a few teething issues the Mellors over in Lancashire have quickly settled in and appear to be generally well received by passengers.
I've used them on the 153 between Preston and Leyland. They certainly give you a shake when they hit a speed bump!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

@TeamPennine Twitter

View attachment 98555

Fair enough - it's a statement of intent and probably reassuring for the workforce that there's an investment. They probably want to get shot of the older members of the fleet as well as some of those non-standard types

peterblue

They're smart buses but there isn't much suspension so you'll feel every 'bump' especially towards the back of the bus

I was seated at the very rear sampling on Ribble Country 67 route and it felt like I was on a rollercoaster!

Last edited: