• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer at Southampton Central with combined ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinz

Hello,

I am planning a trip from Southampton Central to York this Sunday and I've already purchased a 09:15-14:27 XC only advance ticket for SOU-YRK.

I am planning to buy another off peak day single ticket from Swaythling to Southampton Central. The first train on Sunday for this journey will arrive SOU at 09:09, so I only have 6 minutes for connection.

The staff at the SOU counter told me today that, if the SWG-SOU train were to be delayed and I miss the 09:15 XC train, I would have to buy a new ticket for SOU-YRK and there would be no refund on the previous advance ticket.

However, from the forum I found that, given that 6 minutes is enough for connection at SOU, those two tickets could be combined and I should be allowed to board with the next XC train.

My question is, if I were to be asked to buy a new ticket due to the delay of SWG-SOU, can I claim a refund? And if so, should I claim it from SWT or XC?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum, you're in the right place here :)

They appear to be wrong; 5 mins is the minimum interchange time.

So you may use the next train without incurring any charge and you will also be eligible for delay compensation if the delay is long enough to qualify.

There is no requirement to bring any additional money with you. I wouldn't part with any money if I was asked to buy a new ticket under such circumstances.

colinz

Thanks for your reply.

My question is, since I've already been told by the ticket counter staff today that I have to buy a new one, same thing is likely to happen again on the day of travel.

If I just ignore the ticket counter at SOU and explain this to the XC guard to board the train, would it be more difficult to explain the whole situation again to another XC guard when changing trains at Birmingham New Street?

colinz

Thanks for your reply.

The thing I am worry about is that, the staff at SOU already told me today to buy a new ticket if the SWG-SOU were to be delayed, so they will be likely to do the same thing on the day of travel.

If I just ignore them and explain this to the XC guard to board the next train (one hour later at 10:15), I am afraid I would experience some problem at Birmingham New Street when changing to another XC train and explain the whole situation to another guard.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
The thing I am worry about is that, the staff at SOU already told me today to buy a new ticket if the SWG-SOU were to be delayed, so they will be likely to do the same thing on the day of travel.
Why would they be involved, or indeed even know what you were doing?
If I just ignore them and explain this to the XC guard to board the next train (one hour later at 10:15), I am afraid I would experience some problem at Birmingham New Street when changing to another XC train and explain the whole situation to another guard.
If you show all your tickets and explain they should be able to look up the delay themselves if necessary.

The good news is the 0901 Swaythling to Southampton Central on Sundays seems to be very reliable; indeed it is usually early: http://recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/...&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=35&MnScCt=&MxArCl=5

colinz

Why would they be involved, or indeed even know what you were doing?
Sorry to confuse you. I am a foreigner and the railway industry in my home country operates a slightly different system when dealing with delays and missed connections. I just naively thought I have to take similar actions in UK:oops:

If you show all your tickets and explain they should be able to look up the delay themselves if necessary.
The good news is the 0901 Swaythling to Southampton Central on Sundays seems to be very reliable; indeed it is usually early: http://recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/...&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=35&MnScCt=&MxArCl=5
Thank you very much for your help and the website provided!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Sorry to confuse you. I am a foreigner and the railway industry in my home country operates a slightly different system when dealing with delays and missed connections. I just naively thought I have to take similar actions in UK:oops:
Well actually you're right - if you were not aware of the lack of knowledge of the ticket office staff at Southampton, it could be worth the peace of mind of going to them and having them endorse your tickets to confirm the delay and that you may travel on a later train. But there is no requirement to do that, and given you previously received incorrect information, it's probably easiest to stay clear of them and just go straight to the guard on the next CrossCountry train and explain to him/her.

Status
Not open for further replies.