• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The EMR HSTs had a load of work done including an interior retrim, C4 bottom end overhaul and new windows fitting in anticipation of them being modified for continued short term operation. The Government decided late on that the ECML HSTs, which had been run down in anticipation of being scrapped, would be used instead, thus fairly recently overhauled carriages are being scrapped in favour of ones that require significant investment to make them fit for traffic.

Class 222 refurbishment wasn't in the EMT direct awards or the EMR franchise so here we are with them looking very tired - they've been in traffic for over 15 years and the flat cloth coverings look tired quickly anyway.
Very much agree with that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Best thing to do would probably be to review the DDA deadline, do the work on the ex LNER HSTs to standard, keep them longer on the MML than to this December, as new stock will be delayed (as new stock always is and covid work regs will make new / cascaded stock slower to get ready causing a problem later in 2020 / early 2021).

Probably no one will admit this is a good compromise now, but it will probably be what happens when we get to December and ministers can then blame ROSCOS / TOCs and Contractors for not delivering on time....

Merle Haggard

Established Member
They were initially due to end service on the EC and accordingly maintenance was run down on them. Now that the service life is being extended they need to be brought back to an acceptable standard for that...having seen both the old EMT and the 'new' EMR HST sets I can assure you there is a significant difference between the condition of them.

Thank you for that. It's certainly the case that the 'old' EMT sets were in good condition - I posted, on the 'Off lease HSTs' thread interior pictures of NL07 taken in service very shortly before it went for scrap, and it was faultless, but I do know the reason for their replacement.

However, it does seem a bit odd about the LNER ones; their last run on the LNER may well have been on an up Scottish express, non-stop from York at a steady 125 (ish) and suddenly they're unfit for use without major work. I'm sure that they weren't all stopped when they hit exactly 10,000 hours (or whatever the parameter is nowadays).

I also hope that the LNER sets, like the old EMT ones, have the nice new (laminated) windows that you can see out of and not scratched by 40 years of washing-plants!! But I don't know I'll ever get the chance to travel on one, with leisure travel being discouraged.

heedfan

Thank you for that. It's certainly the case that the 'old' EMT sets were in good condition - I posted, on the 'Off lease HSTs' thread interior pictures of NL07 taken in service very shortly before it went for scrap, and it was faultless, but I do know the reason for their replacement.

However, it does seem a bit odd about the LNER ones; their last run on the LNER may well have been on an up Scottish express, non-stop from York at a steady 125 (ish) and suddenly they're unfit for use without major work. I'm sure that they weren't all stopped when they hit exactly 10,000 hours (or whatever the parameter is nowadays).

They may not be unfit for immediate use, perhaps they could be pressed into service as a one off. But there is a difference to running a set tomorrow and then running a set for the next seven months. The repair works on the coaching stock are substantial and include replacing large sections of the brake equipment, and dealing with significant patches corrosion.

They wouldn't pass an MOT, put it that way!

mic505

The current reduced timetable. If EMR started preparing the ex-LNER sets for traffic five months ago most of the them would be in traffic now.

Last edited:

On Moderation
The current reduced timetable. If EMR started preparing the ex-LNER sets for traffic five months ago most of the them would be in traffic now.
How are you working that out?

43 302

Established Member
43083 + 43054 with TGS 44044 have moved to Long Marston for storage on 5Z56. I count six VP185s now in storage, 052, 054, 061, 066, 075, 083.

tnxrail

Unless I've missed something, I'm guessing the two going to 125 group are going to be some of if not the last power cars to be transferred.

43 302

Established Member
Unless I've missed something, I'm guessing the two going to 125 group are going to be some of if not the last power cars to be transferred.
They have both been out recently thats for sure. Interestingly 43048 has been paired with 43049; they were the two PCs in 253024.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Are they still set to be withdrawn in December? It seems a bit of a waste of work, time and money that has gone on these trains if they’re not even going to see six months use.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Are they still set to be withdrawn in December? It seems a bit of a waste of work, time and money that has gone on these trains if they’re not even going to see six months use.

I was thinking that - spending money and time introducing trains that will see less than a years work does seem a bit pointless. Different with the TfW Class 37 stock but this is about a dozen larger HST's with a bit better disabled features.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I was thinking that - spending money and time introducing trains that will see less than a years work does seem a bit pointless. Different with the TfW Class 37 stock but this is about a dozen larger HST's with a bit better disabled features.

They're staying longer than that, most likely until May 21, because the introduction of 360s are delayed because of coronavirus

fgwrich

Established Member
They're staying longer than that, most likely until May 21, because the introduction of 360s are delayed because of coronavirus

Indeed, I hinted at this a while ago. It'll all come down to if the DfT will allow the derogation to be extended into 2021 for the ex EC HST fleet. It's not great news for the DfT who did want to champion the Corby Electrics as being a project delivered on time, but with both the (surprise surprise) late introduction of the 720s from Bombardier and the impact of Covid19, the infrastructure will at least be ready before the stock is.

Impey0711

On Moderation
Are all the xx34 Nottingham departures from St Pancras all HST operated still?

Established Member
Are all the xx34 Nottingham departures from St Pancras all HST operated still?
In the normal timetable yes. Currently with the reduced timetable not all the xx34 departures are HSTs due to the reduced number of HSTs in use.

Impey0711

On Moderation
I'm travelling Saturday I wanna catch one of the remaining journeys done by a valenta 125 or ex virgin set and not a bone shaker 222

Status
Not open for further replies.