• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm travelling Saturday I wanna catch one of the remaining journeys done by a valenta 125 or ex virgin set and not a bone shaker 222
As 43302 said the Gen thread on the UK HST enthusiast group (Facebook) shows the allocated workings each day. I don't think Saturdays are a good day at the moment as a few recently have had no sets out. Most likely due to engineering works along with the reduced timetable I would imagine.

On Moderation
I'm travelling Saturday I wanna catch one of the remaining journeys done by a valenta 125 or ex virgin set and not a bone shaker 222
You’re about 10 years too late if you want a Valenta.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Oh good - for us HST enthusiasts but not for Corby to London passengers :).

I'm not sure that Corby (and Kettering and Wellingboro') passengers will necessarily be bereft to learn that the 360s (3+2 seats, maybe a trolley in one of the 3, non-gangwayed, sets) won't be coming soon and they will have to continue with 222s (2+2 seating, gangwayed throughout, refreshments) or the couple of HSTs workings (one short set, one 2+8) each way a day (ditto but quieter).
Electrification historically has provided a jump in passenger numbers (the 'sparks effect') but usually the new electric service starts after several years of poor service (due to the work itself) and new, better trains, so there's a clear improvement. Am I alone in wondering what increase in revenue will arise as a result of the EMR Corby electrics, bearing in mind neither condition applies in this case, and the fares are currently Inter-City rates per mile rather than NSE/suburban and presumably will be reduced?

On Moderation
43290, set NL53 and 43308 have gone back to Gascoigne Wood today, 5Z43 0950 from Neville Hill.

Mugby

Established Member
I was in Nottingham yesterday and all the London HST services I observed were operated by former EMT sets.

The ex-LNER sets don't seem to be materialising at the moment, does anyone know why?

Ladder23

Established Member
I was in Nottingham yesterday and all the London HST services I observed were operated by former EMT sets.

The ex-LNER sets don't seem to be materialising at the moment, does anyone know why?

They’re out mate! I’ve been photographing them pass by around Flitwick

Scott1

There is only 1 ex-LNER set out this week, and it hasn't been out everyday. Apprantly they are in worse state than was expected so it's taking considerably longer than hoped for.

nat67

Established Member
There is only 1 ex-LNER set out this week, and it hasn't been out everyday. Apprantly they are in worse state than was expected so it's taking considerably longer than hoped for.
You are not wrong about that as 43320+43238 expired on 1D28 1134 St Pancras-Nottingham today and a VP185 set was put out to finish its diagram for the day.

Mugby

Established Member

Thanks, that explains it. I did see one set with ex-EMT carriages and ex-LNER power cars.

hst43102

Slightly off topic...but are the buffered HSTs still in use, or have they been replaced by the LNER 43s?

Ladder23

Established Member
I'm looking for a complete list of the buffer EMR HST's please chaps,

also a list of the ex lner, including ones due over (if possible).

Established Member
Slightly off topic...but are the buffered HSTs still in use, or have they been replaced by the LNER 43s?
Still in use. Just one weekday diagram instead of two at the moment.
I'm looking for a complete list of the buffer EMR HST's please chaps,

also a list of the ex lner, including ones due over (if possible).
See the bottom of the page on here is the most up to date list I have done. https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ay-livery-and-station-branding.187931/page-18

The first blue red combo today 43045 is with 43257 which is also the only red power car out.

D365

Veteran Member

IIRC those will be replaced by the ex-Hull Class 180s. Once they're operational again.

superalbs

Established Member
RUMOUR: Think I read on Twitter than the old power cars have just a few days left in service, is this true? If so, possible withdrawal on Friday?

EDIT: I misread the post, it's just giving the date for a specific power car (43064), which will end on the 27th June.

Last edited:

43 302

Established Member
RUMOUR: Think I read on Twitter than the old power cars have just a few days left in service, is this true? If so, possible withdrawal on Friday?

EDIT: I misread the post, it's just giving the date for a specific power car (43064), which will end on the 27th June.
Yep 064 is the next one to go, has likely worked it's last passenger service under EMR already. By my account, the only VP185s left in service are 43043, 045, 048, 049, 050, 058, 059, 060, 064, 073, 076, 081, 089.

D.A.T.S: 052, 054, 066
LSL: 046, 055, 083
Long Marston: 061, 075
NL Non-runners: 044, 047, 082

Last edited:

Mugby

Established Member
Went past Gascoigne Wood yesterday and saw the two EMR labelled power cars.

Why are they laid up there, have they been considered not good enough for further service?

43 302

Established Member
Went past Gascoigne Wood yesterday and saw the two EMR labelled power cars.

Why are they laid up there, have they been considered not good enough for further service?
They are waiting to enter service with EMR

Bikeman78

Established Member
Not the case. They have some legacy sets that are partway through being withdrawn or scrapped, some new sets that aren't ready and the 6 car Angel sets which are the only things that are somewhat underutilised but only a tiny number of conductors can operate.

All fleets are being used where possible to provide long train lengths.
What work needs doing on the LNER sets? They seemed okay when I travelled on them last year. Seems like a lot of hassle moving them to the MML for a few months in service. It seems to me they would have been in big trouble if the virus had not led to a reduced service.

D365

Veteran Member
What work needs doing on the LNER sets? They seemed okay when I travelled on them last year.

It's been discussed that the LNER sets are in a worse condition (mechanically) than expected.

Skymonster

Established Member
It's been discussed that the LNER sets are in a worse condition (mechanically) than expected.
Chuck away acceptable stock that happens to dump crap onto the lines with stock that is more knackered. It seems so long since EMR started trumpeting its "red HSTs are coming" and yet only once coach set has made it into service so far. All for the sake of six months, because they are all meant to be gone by year end. Its a farce. I bet EMR are praising the coronavirus - without it the intercity operation would be in a complete mess now.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Chuck away acceptable stock that happens to dump crap onto the lines with stock that is more knackered. It seems so long since EMR started trumpeting its "red HSTs are coming" and yet only once coach set has made it into service so far. All for the sake of six months, because they are all meant to be gone by year end. Its a farce. I bet EMR are praising the coronavirus - without it the intercity operation would be in a complete mess now.
I was on the set yesterday with 2 ex LNER liveried power cars. Paint work on the power cars was pretty tired I thought, less tidy than EMR liveried power car set I saw being shunted at Derby on my arrival there. Obv this is no guide to the condition under the paint and body work.
The EMR 'original' HST interior was I thought pretty tidy and clean, apart from 1 table in coach A had been removed for some reason and the fixing location points on wall and carpet made good with gaffer tape, which was unimpressive.

Domh245

Established Member

It wasn't the retention toilets (I don't think the ex-LNER sets are even fitted with them!) but the PRM mods, or rather - marginally more accessible. CV has also meant that the start of the electrics service to Corby has also been delayed by 6 months, meaning that we'll almost certainly be seeing EMR intercity services in the hands of HSTs into 2021

I was on the set yesterday with 2 ex LNER liveried power cars. Paint work on the power cars was pretty tired I thought, less tidy than EMR liveried power car set I saw being shunted at Derby on my arrival there. Obv this is no guide to the condition under the paint and body work.
The EMR 'original' HST interior was I thought pretty tidy and clean, apart from 1 table in coach A had been removed for some reason and the fixing location points on wall and carpet made good with gaffer tape, which was unimpressive.

It's impressive, as the last few times I've seen the VP185 powercars they've looked particularly run down, with plenty of grime over the sides

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'll admit I didn't wade through 12 pages before posting. In what way are the LNER sets more compliant than the EMR sets? I couldn't see much difference other than different seats and colours.

How is it possible that the mechanical state of the LNER was not known? Someone must have known. Was this not considered before the plan to move hem to EMR was formed?

Status
Not open for further replies.