• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
I can't see that there much more PRM - y than the EMR home sets, to be honest, and certainly less so than the LNER sets. Sorry I haven't got any Standard photos but, to avoid any debate, I never take interior photos where an identifiable person would be included.

The short sets have 32 points of non-compliance that they've been granted derogation for, the other current sets have 36. By comparison, the ex-LNER sets have 23/24 depending on the ROSCO! The details are available here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rob F

I can't see that there much more PRM - y than the EMR home sets, to be honest, and certainly less so than the LNER sets. Sorry I haven't got any Standard photos but, to avoid any debate, I never take interior photos where an identifiable person would be included.
Do you never take photos in any public place then?

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Do you never take photos in any public place then?

I have experienced aggression from people who think that they will be in my photograph, and seen it happen to others.
An extreme example was this. I was watching an engine attachment for a 'drag' (on a booked diversion due to engineering work); I was interested in how the adapter coupling worked. Someone with a big SLR camera walked up to me and told me that I was in his way, and move! (as some photographers do) because he wanted to photograph. I did so, and he started taking pictures. The loco attachment involved the shunter, who was of stocky and very muscular build, using a 3' long pair of Stlisons on the adapter. When the shunter noticed the photographer, he walked aggressively towards the photographer, threatened him with the Stilsons, and shouted 'I don't photograph you at work, so (expletives).' (must admit, did feel karma...).
Another serious issue is if it looks like children will be in your photo - for instance, there was an incident when a headmaster called the police after noticing someone, just interested in buses, taking photos. of the old buses used on the schools contracts outside his school. Similar circumstances to the latter could inadvertently apply if there was a school trip by rail.
And there's the 'invasion of privacy' claim, and railway 'security' staff taking offence at a miniature camera in my jacket pocket (Wigan NW).
Be wary!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Can I still be puzzled? ('The more I find out, the less I know' - not just a pop song but philosophy!)
With the low cost of digital photos, I now take a lot - perhaps making up for steam days, when I regret taking so few because of cost.
Anyway, here's some interiors of the ex GC sets.

First, a TRFB. It's ex Great Western, and undoubtedly has lift up armrests but of course no lavatory.

View attachment 73866

Next, the TFO, re-trimmed but otherwise in GC condition (they were converted from loco-hauled). I can't be certain, but those armrests don't look like they lift up - looks like they would jam in the seat side if they did.

View attachment 73867

And here's the lavatory in the TFO.

View attachment 73868

Yes the TFO armrests don't lift up - look carefully and you can see it's a new padded top section on the old fixed armrest Mk3 seat.

On Moderation
Yes the TFO armrests don't lift up - look carefully and you can see it's a new padded top section on the old fixed armrest Mk3 seat.
It’s TF on an HST, not TFO, and FO is the loco hauled equivalent.

WesternLancer

Established Member
It’s TF on an HST, not TFO, and FO is the loco hauled equivalent.
Yes, thanks, good point - of course I simply quoted Merle H's post with the useful pics for ease of ref.

But the ex GC sest are more specious in standard - both as coach D is a former 1st class class re-upholstered in EMT stand class red fabric, and I think the other std class coaches had their seats spaced out to improve window alignment etc - IIRC this was one of Grand Central's USPs when they 1st launched their services with HSTs - that they had in Std more tables for 4, better window alignment and more leg room.

The Joker

Have the EMR HST sets with the original layout been replaced by the LNER ones yet? If not has a date been set for this to happen? Also I have noticed that due to engineering work tomorrow there are no trains running south of Leicester - so are there HST sets running between Nottingham and Leicester? Is the engineering work on next weekend as well?
Thanks to anyone who can provide any information

_toommm_

Established Member
Have the EMR HST sets with the original layout been replaced by the LNER ones yet? If not has a date been set for this to happen? Also I have noticed that due to engineering work tomorrow there are no trains running south of Leicester - so are there HST sets running between Nottingham and Leicester? Is the engineering work on next weekend as well?

End of the month IIRC for the red sets to be introduced; not sure if an end date for the EMT sets has been decided/made public yet.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've booked my first ticket on one of the "red" sets. A HST is still better than not a HST.

WesternLancer

Established Member
often just use meridians in this scenario but not sure re this w/end

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
End of the month IIRC for the red sets to be introduced; not sure if an end date for the EMT sets has been decided/made public yet.
The 9 x EMT sets are end dated 28 July 20 according to DfT’s table of dispensations, as reported in Modern Railways Feb issue.

Established Member
Nothing has been replaced yet but there is talk about the replacement being before the end of the month. No HSTs are out tomorrow but 2 are planned on Sunday this week.

raetiamann

I'm hearing it may be the first week of March before the 'red Inter City' sets are in service.

WesternLancer

Established Member
the 10.12 Nottm to Leicester (approx timing) today sat, is an HST as Ms Lancer reports she is on it.

Suggests some HST diagrammes today

DannyMich2018

the 10.12 Nottm to Leicester (approx timing) today sat, is an HST as Ms Lancer reports she is on it.

Suggests some HST diagrammes today
The line is open next weekend as King's Cross is closed for the weekend I believe so they can't have two routes closed at the same time. According to National Rail services will run to and from St Pancras but will be amended/different presumably to allow for more passengers than usual using the route so may see more HST's?

Overtime cut at work yesterday - positive is a chance to get out on Friday and have (maybe?) a final ride on an EMT VP185...

66Yorks

Plenty of EMR HST's stored at Gascoigne Wood the other day. Ready and waiting for action.

cactustwirly

Established Member
As a (slight) aside I was at Chesterfield yesterday at 11:30 and saw a pair of the buffered power cars run through (light engine, if that's still what you still call it with two power cars back-to-back).
Must have been this: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/94769/2020-02-22/detailed
Don't know if this is routine or for some special purpose.

It's routine ish, the powercars are allocated to Derby Etches park where they receive most of their maintenance, but the heavier stuff gets done at Leeds Neville Hill, this was a routine transfer between the two depots.

Spirit555

Two barrier vehicles moved from Long Marston to Gascoigne Wood, vehicles 6393 & 6394 on Monday 24th February. Supposedly in preparation of moving EMR HST's I believe.

Mark

heedfan

Two barrier vehicles moved from Long Marston to Gascoigne Wood, vehicles 6393 & 6394 on Monday 24th February. Supposedly in preparation of moving EMR HST's I believe.

Mark

Why would these moves need a barrier vehicle?

heedfan

Because a locomotive cannot connect direct to HST coaching stock without modifications.
So far no Power Cars have been sent for recycling only Coaching Stock.

Ah ok, thank you. I was under the impression that some power cars were left with those sets. Thanks for clearing that up.

D365

Veteran Member
What's happening to the EMR Class 43s? Are they being split up from the coaching stock?

On Moderation
Because a locomotive cannot connect direct to HST coaching stock without modifications.
So far no Power Cars have been sent for recycling only Coaching Stock.
The sets at Gascoigne Wood have power cars. The only exception is some spare trailers, so maybe to move those to Neville Hill?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What's happening to the EMR Class 43s? Are they being split up from the coaching stock?
There seems to be an explanation in post #43. It’s about keeping power car and coach comms systems consistent with each other.

Swimbar

The sets at Gascoigne Wood have power cars. The only exception is some spare trailers, so maybe to move those to Neville Hill?

I wondered if the HST trailers from the current EMR sets would be moved to Gascoigne Wood for storage albeit possibly short term?

D365

Veteran Member
There seems to be an explanation in post #43. It’s about keeping power car and coach comms systems consistent with each other.

Right, I'm not clear if this discussion is concerning the outgoing ex-EMT HSTs, or the incoming ex-LNER HSTs. Because I would have assumed that the existing EMT Class 43s are capable of moving the existing Mk3 rakes, once they have been withdrawn, like what the "red" Class 43s are doing with the ex-LNER fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.