• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought the ex LNER Power Cars were going to Barrow Hill for attention before being used in service?
Dunno, I thought the question was asking why existing EMR power cars couldn't be used with ex LNER coaches. Separating power cars and coaches during maintenance seems par for the course anyway...

Swimbar

Dunno, I thought the question was asking why existing EMR power cars couldn't be used with ex LNER coaches. Separating power cars and coaches during maintenance seems par for the course anyway...
They can be and were frequently substituted by Neville Hill to power LNER sets on occasions.
Does affect they way they were despatched from Stations though!

D365

Veteran Member

I'm aware of both but wasn't clear in my original question. The "red" Class 43s are being used to move ex-LNER Mk3s, so I assumed that EMR/Porterbrook could well use the "blue" Class 43s (VP185 engined) in the same manner to move the EMR Mk3s once they are withdrawn. I wasn't aware that the discussion was about the "red" Mk3s in any case!

So - with the red LNER takeover getting closer - which services will they takeover first? Will the blue EMR ones continue on the hourly Nottingham services?

On Moderation
So - with the red LNER takeover getting closer - which services will they takeover first? Will the blue EMR ones continue on the hourly Nottingham services?
It’s a one-for-one swap, so any 8-car diagram could be either type once the changeover starts.

_toommm_

Established Member
It’s a one-for-one swap, so any 8-car diagram could be either type once the changeover starts.

Which coach have the LNER sets had removed out of curiosity? IIRC they were 9 coaches when they were with LNER.

Domh245

Established Member
Which coach have the LNER sets had removed out of curiosity? IIRC they were 9 coaches when they were with LNER.

Based on a quick comparison between which vehicles have been granted a derogation and some pictures on flickr, it seems that it is coach G that will be removed, which seems surprising as that has 4 (compliant!) priority seats in it, whilst coach C which is remaining in the formations doesn't!

cactustwirly

Established Member
I thought the ex LNER Power Cars were going to Barrow Hill for attention before being used in service?

No they're being put through a pre entry exam at Neville Hill before entry into service.
Apparently the LNER sets were on a different maintenance regime, than the EMR sets, so they are in the process of being brought up to EMR's balanced regime.

On Moderation
No they're being put through a pre entry exam at Neville Hill before entry into service.
Apparently the LNER sets were on a different maintenance regime, than the EMR sets, so they are in the process of being brought up to EMR's balanced regime.
Yes, LNER sets were on the traditional A-G exam regime, whereas the EMR sets are on balanced maintenance (from Midland Mainline days). You either have to get the trains onto the balanced regime or re-write the VMI / safety documentation.

Established Member
From the podcast on the rebranding thread:

The first two sets should be entering service in the next week or so. One of the next two sets will be repainted into the EMR outgoing purple and will be the only HST to get the purple treatment.

WesternLancer

Established Member

The first two sets should be entering service in the next week or so. One of the next two sets will be repainted into the EMR outgoing purple and will be the only HST to get the purple treatment.
very exciting news!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Sat next to a passenger on a EMR set last night. Said he lived on the south coast, he remarked on how comfy the seats were on this train (orig interior obv). Meanwhile 2 students sitting opposite spent a long time looking for power points for their lap tops...

physics34

Established Member
Sat next to a passenger on a EMR set last night. Said he lived on the south coast, he remarked on how comfy the seats were on this train (orig interior obv). Meanwhile 2 students sitting opposite spent a long time looking for power points for their lap tops...
Sign of the times

Amazing what a few springs do for a seat. Crazy.

Aictos

Established Member

Excellent news, look forward to a much more comfortable and safer HST coming soon!

By that I mean seats and windows that actually meet modern safety standards.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Sign of the times

Amazing what a few springs do for a seat. Crazy.
Yes, - he was not an enthusiast but his beef was 'most of our trains have 5 seats across and the seats are hard' - well, it's not an intercity route on south coast obv, but I suspect his local services may have been 313s. I did't have a heart to tell him the HST and the 313 were same vintage and in both instances the cutting edge of 1970s rail travel...:D

WesternLancer

Established Member
Excellent news, look forward to a much more comfortable and safer HST coming soon!

what's with the windows?

Is there a big crash risk on MML? Isn't it level crossing free which helps reduce one risk. Can't recall when a MML HST last had a significant accident, but maybe it will be good to reduce that risk for the last 10 to 20 months of their operational life on the route.

WesternLancer

Established Member

I suspect most punters will be most pleased with the plugs in standard class!

LowLevel

Established Member

On the assumption until recently that the native MML sets were staying around the windows have been replaced on the whole fleet of Porterbrook mk3s with the laminated version over the last 18 months or so.

Aictos

Established Member
On the assumption until recently that the native MML sets were staying around the windows have been replaced on the whole fleet of Porterbrook mk3s with the laminated version over the last 18 months or so.

I didn't see any news on the work being done being advertised in the public domain so was under the impression they hadn't been done.

I suspect most punters will be most pleased with the plugs in standard class!

Indeed hence the battle for the one power socket per two airline seats...

On Moderation
I didn't see any news on the work being done being advertised in the public domain so was under the impression they hadn't been done.
Not every operator feels the need to crow about safety improvements - they just get on and do them. Indeed, it is in many ways advisable not to make PR out of safety.

Likewise, there was no real fuss about 43076 being upgraded with electronic fuel injection, which makes it the “greenest” of all HST power cars.

Last edited:

DDB

Not every operator feels the need to crow about safety improvements - they just get on and do them. Indeed, it is in many ways advisable not to make PR out of safety.

Likewise, there was no real fuss about 43076 being upgraded with electronic fuel injection, which makes it the “greenest” of all HST power cars.

They need to explain to the public who are rrying to find thier train why they are changing colour and why "new" trains are coming for such a short period before being replaced.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They need to explain to the public who are rrying to find thier train why they are changing colour and why "new" trains are coming for such a short period before being replaced.

Particularly as they'll be replaced by much shorter trains. That will take some explaining.

On Moderation
They explain it on their website: https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/trains-stations/on-board-the-train/accessibility-of-our-trains

Eight Coach High Speed Trains - RED
Not compliant with PRM-TSI.

Number of units 9
On train staff to provide assistance Yes
Routes operated
  • Nottingham to London
  • Sheffield to London
Boarding ramp Yes
Wheelchair space Yes in Coach E
Scooter/mobility aid acceptance Yes
Wheelchair-accessible toilet Yes, in Standard Class accommodation
Standard toilet Yes
Aural information Yes
Visual information Yes
Priority seating Yes
WiFi Yes
Baby change facilities Yes
Additional information: These trains will be introduced to our fleet throughout 2020. All our HSTs will be replaced by December 2020. Customers wishing to travel First Class and who are wheelchair users should contact our Passenger Assistance Team who will be able to find an accessible alternative service.

Eight Coach High Speed Trains - Blue/White

Number of units 10
Routes operated
  • Nottingham to London
  • Sheffield to London
Boarding ramp Yes
Wheelchair space Yes in Coach G
Wheelchair-accessible toilet Yes, in First Class accommodation
Standard toilet Yes
Aural information Yes
Visual information No
Priority seating Yes
WiFi Yes
Additional information: These trains are being phased out in 2020. All internal and external doors are accessible to wheelchair users and seating space is provided in both First and Standard Class accommodation. Wheelchair-accessible toilets are provided in First Class accommodation. If the wheelchair space is available, a wheelchair user and a companion will be upgraded to First Class, free of charge.

duffield

Established Member

So for a short period we'll have Blue, Purple *and* Red sets! Would be nice to get a picture showing one of each but I don't expect that's going to happen.

DDB

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant this is why they are explaining it with adverts and stuff on the website etc.

They explain it on their website: https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/trains-stations/on-board-the-train/accessibility-of-our-trains

Eight Coach High Speed Trains - RED

Number of units 9
Routes operated
  • Nottingham to London
  • Sheffield to London
Boarding ramp Yes
Wheelchair space Yes in Coach E
Wheelchair-accessible toilet Yes, in Standard Class accommodation
Standard toilet Yes
Aural information Yes
Visual information Yes
Priority seating Yes
WiFi Yes
Additional information: These trains will be introduced to our fleet throughout 2020. All our HSTs will be replaced by December 2020. Customers wishing to travel First Class and who are wheelchair users should contact our Passenger Assistance Team who will be able to find an accessible alternative service.

Eight Coach High Speed Trains - Blue/White

Number of units 10
Routes operated
  • Nottingham to London
  • Sheffield to London
Boarding ramp Yes
Wheelchair space Yes in Coach G
Wheelchair-accessible toilet Yes, in First Class accommodation
Standard toilet Yes
Aural information Yes
Visual information No
Priority seating Yes
WiFi Yes
Additional information: These trains are being phased out in 2020. All internal and external doors are accessible to wheelchair users and seating space is provided in both First and Standard Class accommodation. Wheelchair-accessible toilets are provided in First Class accommodation. If the wheelchair space is available, a wheelchair user and a companion will be upgraded to First Class, free of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.