• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm on 1B58 with 43 052 and 43 467. Is it common to have VP185 and MTU power in the same set?

No but happens occasionally, the MTUs are in a separate pool, and are based at Etches Park and not Neville Hill

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
The ride quality of these Mk3s are worse than I've come to expect on GWRs 255 sets.
Which isn’t a great comparison: different routes and different top speeds for a start.

superjohn

Which isn’t a great comparison: different routes and different top speeds for a start.
Indeed, the Midland Mainline is a world away from anything on the Great Western. Twists, lurches and bumps aplenty.

cactustwirly

Established Member

But don't the EMR sets have different dampers to the GWR sets.
Although I haven't noticed a significant difference between the sets in ride quality

Clansman

Established Member
Sorry to dig up something that's probably been asked, but I've not really read much about the transfer until recently. What are the reasons EMR are replacing their fleet of HSTs with ex-LNER ones? Is it because the LNER ones are in better nick since thier recent refurbishment and have better PRM provisions, as opposed to investing in kitting out EMR's ones which are in relatively original spec?

Roast Veg

Established Member
Sorry to dig up something that's probably been asked, but I've not really read much about the transfer until recently. What are the reasons EMR are replacing their fleet of HSTs with ex-LNER ones? Is it because the LNER ones are in better nick since thier recent refurbishment and have better PRM provisions, as opposed to investing in kitting out EMR's ones which are in relatively original spec?
It is entirely down to reducing the level of PRM non-compliance.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I'm on 1B58 with 43 052 and 43 467. Is it common to have VP185 and MTU power in the same set? I will have to agree with the above post that the mallard interiors are far superior to the IC70 seats. The ride quality of these Mk3s are worse than I've come to expect on GWRs 255 sets.
I think that ride quality varies between sets actually - I was on one yesterday and would say no real issue with ride quality. I didn't note the set concerned.

WesternLancer

Established Member
On the 1134 to Nottingham, I have to say I won't miss the EMR carriages, I'd forgotten how uncomfortable I find the IC70 seats , they're far too low backed
Funny - good point, but I'm pretty avg height 5'10" and have never found them uncomfortable in either 1st or standard. Tho the ex LNER sets will be good too comfort wise. I'll miss the original interior seats for nostalgic reasons.

43 302

Established Member
I think that ride quality varies between sets actually - I was on one yesterday and would say no real issue with ride quality. I didn't note the set concerned.
Yeah it has varied for me to, my return trip was much smoother.

On Moderation
Time since last C4 overhaul is an obvious reason for varying ride quality.

fgwrich

Established Member
But don't the EMR sets have different dampers to the GWR sets.
Although I haven't noticed a significant difference between the sets in ride quality

They do - the ex East Coast sets have Pegasus Dampers, which are noticeably more bouncier than their counterparts on the Midlands and Western sets. I did a few runs on some of the East Coast sets just before Christmas and noticed how particularly bouncy they were compared to other Mk3s (other fleets) across certain stretches of track (In Scotland EC HST vs ScotRail HST, ECML between Peterborough and Kings X for example).

IIRC, I believe it was an issue David Horne was aware of, I recall something in Modern Railways a few years ago where they (VTEC) were asking where the original dampers could be obtained from.

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Now I know this thread is about the ex LNER HSTs but there seems to be no-where else to post this. The Twitter Feed from EMR above included a reference to the 'Angel' HSTs and stated that they were staying until Dec 2020 - the same date as the ex LNER ones will depart. This is not what's been suggested before; what is happening about the 180s, I wonder.
On the subject of the LNER ones; in the past it has been stated on another thread that not all of the coaches in the set formations used by LNER had control emission toilets and perhaps it was only one in each class. Does anyone know the situation? Does the number of sets available and each set having one coach more than will be required make it possible to re-shuffle the formation so that all the CEM coaches were combine to make all-CEM sets?

Established Member
Now I know this thread is about the ex LNER HSTs but there seems to be no-where else to post this. The Twitter Feed from EMR above included a reference to the 'Angel' HSTs and stated that they were staying until Dec 2020 - the same date as the ex LNER ones will depart. This is not what's been suggested before; what is happening about the 180s, I wonder.
On the subject of the LNER ones; in the past it has been stated on another thread that not all of the coaches in the set formations used by LNER had control emission toilets and perhaps it was only one in each class. Does anyone know the situation? Does the number of sets available and each set having one coach more than will be required make it possible to re-shuffle the formation so that all the CEM coaches were combine to make all-CEM sets?
The 180's will still be needed for the post December timetable until the new units enter service. Probably find some training runs will happen before December.

On Moderation
As far as I know the ex-LNER sets don’t have CET. It is purely about them being less non-compliant for PRM than the current sets.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
As far as I know the ex-LNER sets don’t have CET. It is purely about them being less non-compliant for PRM than the current sets.

It seems a little odd to me that, although there's been quite a bit of publicity about track discharge, it's very difficult to find out which stock still does it. Even the enthusiasts' stock lists (such as Platform 5) aren't exhaustive and I've been reduced to relying on the 'do not use in stations' notices as the only sure way. I'm also surprised that the LNER sets weren't CEM'd at refurb. whereas the XC ones, only slightly more recently done, were. Another obligation that the TOCs/leasing companies didn't see coming, maybe.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The 180's will still be needed for the post December timetable until the new units enter service. Probably find some training runs will happen before December.

Thanks for the information. The first 2 180s released were moved to EP some time ago. As it turned out this was possibly more for accommodation reasons than any urgency to get them into traffic to replace the ex GC sets for May timetable changes, and I'd actually assumed the latter reason which is now clearly not so. The present NL only have derog. 'til May (up-thread) but presumably the GC ones are more like the LNER ones, a little nearer PRM, so have the December extension.
One of the oddities about the ex GC sets is that, every time I travel on one (every month or so) the formation seems to have changed from the previous one, whereas the NL sets seemed to be very fixed. Maybe this is just to equalise the mileages as the two diagrams are very different in mileage and there is almost a complete set of spare coaches, too.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks for the information. The first 2 180s released were moved to EP some time ago. As it turned out this was possibly more for accommodation reasons than any urgency to get them into traffic to replace the ex GC sets for May timetable changes, and I'd actually assumed the latter reason which is now clearly not so. The present NL only have derog. 'til May (up-thread) but presumably the GC ones are more like the LNER ones, a little nearer PRM, so have the December extension.
One of the oddities about the ex GC sets is that, every time I travel on one (every month or so) the formation seems to have changed from the previous one, whereas the NL sets seemed to be very fixed. Maybe this is just to equalise the mileages as the two diagrams are very different in mileage and there is almost a complete set of spare coaches, too.
Good question you posed earlier. Having been on Angel set yesterday I can't see what extra PRM compliance it would have had - eg no info screens for example.

nat67

Established Member
Do you reckon EMR might get another derogation beyond December this year?

Good question you posed earlier. Having been on Angel set yesterday I can't see what extra PRM compliance it would have had - eg no info screens for example.

The current EMR HST’s have seats with fixed armrests. The LNER ones have seats with fold up armrests. I believe that is the thing that makes them more PRM compliant.

nat67

Established Member
The current EMR HST’s have seats with fixed armrests. The LNER ones have seats with fold up armrests. I believe that is the thing that makes them more PRM compliant.
And standard class disabled toilet, along with improved passenger announcements.

Domh245

Established Member

The only armrest related non-compliance is the fixed armrest in the priority seat. There's many more things that make the LNER sets more compliant than just that...

heedfan

There are no CET on any of the ex-LNER HST sets transferring to EMR.

Mikey C

Established Member
Funny - good point, but I'm pretty avg height 5'10" and have never found them uncomfortable in either 1st or standard. Tho the ex LNER sets will be good too comfort wise. I'll miss the original interior seats for nostalgic reasons.

Not having been on EMT/EMR HSTs for a long time - if I use the MML it's usually on a 222 - I was surprised at how relatively original their fittings looked inside

I was surprised by the difference in legroom between my service out of STP (1D28 on Tuesday) and the return journey (1B79) on Wednesday, as the latter had masses more legroom, and I was in a normal airline seat on both journeys. Are there differences within the existing EMR fleet?

Domh245

Established Member
I was surprised by the difference in legroom between my service out of STP (1D28 on Tuesday) and the return journey (1B79) on Wednesday, as the latter had masses more legroom, and I was in a normal airline seat on both journeys. Are there differences within the existing EMR fleet?

1B79 is operated by one of the ex-GC HSTs, which do have a different layout, including some declassified first class vehicles

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Can I still be puzzled? ('The more I find out, the less I know' - not just a pop song but philosophy!)
With the low cost of digital photos, I now take a lot - perhaps making up for steam days, when I regret taking so few because of cost.
Anyway, here's some interiors of the ex GC sets.

First, a TRFB. It's ex Great Western, and undoubtedly has lift up armrests but of course no lavatory.

GC set TRFB.jpg

Next, the TFO, re-trimmed but otherwise in GC condition (they were converted from loco-hauled). I can't be certain, but those armrests don't look like they lift up - looks like they would jam in the seat side if they did.

GC set TFO.jpg

And here's the lavatory in the TFO.

GC set - TFO lav.jpg

I can't see that there much more PRM - y than the EMR home sets, to be honest, and certainly less so than the LNER sets. Sorry I haven't got any Standard photos but, to avoid any debate, I never take interior photos where an identifiable person would be included.

Status
Not open for further replies.