• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Yes, it ran as the earlier of the 2 Skegness runs on that saturday, yesterday. I guess with general levels of passenger numbers it can easily cope with being one 1st class carriage down, and still be put to good use.

They can normally cope with half a first class coach at off peak times tbh

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
They can normally cope with half a first class coach at off peak times tbh
No doubt - although when I was travelling the seeming absence of Advance 1st tickets (as I wanted to buy one) seemed daft - since it resulted in empty 1st class seats and more people in Standard - well at least me anyway - so lost revenue and reduced social distancing... a policy lose lose it would seem!

DB

No doubt - although when I was travelling the seeming absence of Advance 1st tickets (as I wanted to buy one) seemed daft - since it resulted in empty 1st class seats and more people in Standard - well at least me anyway - so lost revenue and reduced social distancing... a policy lose lose it would seem!

I doubt that is related to one HST being a carriage down!

DB

Surely there must be enough around now to have a spare !

Different wiring on th ex LNER ones, and those are the ones taking ages to get into service because of the amount of work needed.

43 302

Established Member
43089 has now been transferred to 125Group ownership, where it will be on short term hire to DATS at Leicester LIP. I presume 43076 is also on hire to DATS.

Last edited:

On Moderation
43089 has now been transferred to 125Group ownership, where it will be on short term hire to DATS at Leicester LIP. I presume 43073 is also on hire to DATS.
I assume you mean 43076 as 43073 is still on lease to EMR and should currently be working 1D66 1904 St Pancras - Leeds if it has stuck to diagram.

43 302

Established Member
I assume you mean 43076 as 43073 is still on lease to EMR and should currently be working 1D66 1904 St Pancras - Leeds if it has stuck to diagram.
I do indeed.

Bloody automerge: post below from 14/09/20.
As a brief run down on the fleet, 43045 had a B exam on 11/09/20 and is temporarily back out. It is due a major exam in roughly a couple of weeks and will be taken off asap. 43048 + 43058 are both stopped for B exam. 43467 + 43468 have replaced those two on NL01 (but aren't out today). 43423 + 43480 are on the angel set with 43465 at EP. 43059 is stored second emergency spare, needs B exam to be used (it probably won't). The 43/4s are being used to help phase out the VPs. 43251 made its debut for EMR on the 11th and NL57 *might* be ready in a ready in a month. NL56 still load 7 minus 41099. 43299 due out soon, and 43049 should be back out soon too.

Last edited:

43 302

Established Member
Correct. 43299 available from Wednesday. 43045 should be stood down at the end of this week.

43299 has replaced 43047 (which will be back) and is out today. It also appears to have had a repaint/touch up into VTEC livery lol. When it moved to NL it was very worn and was mostly red on the cab and lower Valence.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Correct. 43299 available from Wednesday. 43045 should be stood down at the end of this week.

43299 has replaced 43047 (which will be back) and is out today. It also appears to have had a repaint/touch up into VTEC livery lol. When it moved to NL it was very worn and was mostly red on the cab and lower Valence.
helpful update

Impey0711

On Moderation
Currently on the 17:19 from St Pancras which is a complete ex virgin set must say what a pleasure to travel on comfortable and smooth

43 302

Established Member
Currently on the 17:19 from St Pancras which is a complete ex virgin set must say what a pleasure to travel on comfortable and smooth
That would be NL51 with 43251 + 43317. Interestingly that set had to have 14 door changes prior to entering service.

DB

That would be NL51 with 43251 + 43317. Interestingly that set had to have 14 door changes prior to entering service.

Where'd the doors come from? Have they got a load of christmas trees somewhere?!

43 302

Established Member
Where'd the doors come from? Have they got a load of christmas trees somewhere?!
I actually don't know for sure, but think how many Mk3s have been converted to sliding doors for ScotRail and GWR.

DB

I actually don't know for sure, but think how many Mk3s have been converted to sliding doors for ScotRail and GWR.

Could well be, if they didn't just skip them! Do any have telltale green paint on the inside?

At least one of the 125 group's mk3s had an XC pink door for a while, before it got painted.

43 302

Established Member
Could well be, if they didn't just skip them! Do any have telltale green paint on the inside?

At least one of the 125 group's mk3s had an XC pink door for a while, before it got painted.
The few I saw looked white last time I saw it.

Dave91131

Taking the information about 14 out of 32 doors requiring changing before this set entered service as accurate, combined with the amount of other work (presumably) undertaken before debuting on the MML, it makes one wonder just how LNER were allowed to continue to operate these sets right up to Nov / Dec 2019 in such seemingly poor condition.

At the risk of going over old ground these sets haven't suddenly become so bad in the blink of an eye since the end of their time with LNER. Many many issues must have been known about for quite some time in their final weeks and months on the ECML.

Were LNER "hiding" their true state of disrepair so as to be able to continue to use them for as long as they did?

43 302

Established Member
Were LNER "hiding" their true state of disrepair so as to be able to continue to use them for as long as they did?
Nope, their situation has been known about for maybe even three years apparently. It's the DfT who decided it was a good idea. It's not as if LNER suggested they were a suitable stop-gap.

Jippy101

Does anyone know what times the HST run up the Luton line. My son would like to go on one. We are near Luton Airport Parkway and would like to know where they stop and at what time. Thanks.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Does anyone know what times the HST run up the Luton line. My son would like to go on one. We are near Luton Airport Parkway and would like to know where they stop and at what time. Thanks.
This is your starting point - pdf timetable - see the column headings for the HSTs

Most are non stop London - Mkt Harboro, but not all - eg a southbound 7am ish by the looks of it from Luton Airport Parkway for example. Hope this helps.

Or go north from Luton on stopper, to Mkt Harboro, then pick up an HST non stop to London, then reverse that - do that offpeak with 2 rtn tickets might be good value?

Do it at weekend you can have weekend 1st upgrade for reasonable price and also use off peak ticket at any time. Flexible ticket (not Advance) will alow you to wait for an HST if for some bad luck you get a set swap on your intended train. No doubt you will appreciate that point anyway.

Last edited:

Impey0711

On Moderation
The 17:19 stops at Luton Airport parkway from St Pancras int

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Does anyone know if the ex LNER sets are being fitted with laminated glass windows?
Seems a pity that one of the original sets has gone for scrap with them (and also, probably, good doors!)

DB

Does anyone know if the ex LNER sets are being fitted with laminated glass windows?
Seems a pity that one of the original sets has gone for scrap with them (and also, probably, good doors!)

Think they were fitted with laminated windows a number of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.