• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Express: Catering on New Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Travelling from Liverpool to Manchester this afternoon on TransPennine Express, I asked the host for a hot chocolate when she came through the train. I was told that as this is a new type of train (one of the locomotive hauled sets), they no longer serve hot drinks to passengers in Standard. I asked why and she said that was the way that the new trains had been designed. I haven't travelled on one of these trains before.

I generally buy hot drinks onboard trains because the convenience benefit is so much greater than with other things that can be easily carried, and because hot drinks at stations usually aren't cheaper than onboard. So I find it utterly bamboozling that apparently they have decided no longer to serve hot drinks at seat in Standard class.

The host did say to me that if I wanted to I could come down to First Class they would be able to serve me there after they had gone through Standard. An at-seat service is available in First. Obviously I declined because by the time I had walked down to First, waited and then walked back we would have been half way to Manchester. This was never a problem with the old trains, so I am confused about what TPE are doing here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dibuzz

The new TPE I'm on doesn't have any catering at all
(The WiFi isn't working either)

8J

I don't think that is right. The new trolleys for the new trains have the facility to serve hot drinks to the best of my knowledge. There may be some initial teething problems with them but I don't think it's the plan to have no hot drinks served.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I see. They certainly didn't have any evidence of an urn or cups, or a trolley as on the old class 185 units.

Anyway, I understood that the trains are much-delayed and have been in service for a period of many months all the same? So I thought that generally what the host was saying was going to be accurate.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I see. They certainly didn't have any evidence of an urn or cups, or a trolley as on the old class 185 units.

Anyway, I understood that the trains are much-delayed and have been in service for a period of many months all the same? So I thought that generally what the host was saying was going to be accurate.

There website suggests the trolley service remains as is. Perhaps they don't have trolleys for the new trains available yet?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
There website suggests the trolley service remains as is. Perhaps they don't have trolleys for the new trains available yet?
They were using an airline-style cart with boxes inside it, loaded with cold food snacks, which seemed to back up the suggestion made by the host that hot drinks can be served only from the galley.

Unless you're right and a whole separate trolley is coming in addition?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They were using an airline-style cart with boxes inside it, loaded with cold food snacks, which seemed to back up the suggestion made by the host that hot drinks can be served only from the galley.

Unless you're right and a whole separate trolley is coming in addition?

Perhaps a tweet or e-mail to them asking about the catering offer on the new trains and whether there are temporary issues with offering hot drinks in standard including the example of your own experience?

That way you should known one way or the other what's happening. Certainly on the catering page on their website there is nothing to say that on trains advertised with catering that there are issues with provision in Standard Class but not in First.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A cup of tea is about the only thing I'd use a trolley for (as @Starmill says it can be awkward to carry one without spilling it with heavy luggage, and you can't stock up easily), so this is a bizarre omission.

For what it's worth, the 80x have the Hitachi-supplied trolley same as GWR use and this does have a hot drinks urn. Not that I've yet managed to successfully obtain a cup of tea on a GWR service due to repeated faults!

Carlisle

Established Member
Given that as far as I’m aware TPE catering is provided by Rail Gourmet, perhaps arrangements & equipment on the new trains isn’t yet fully agreed & implemented between themselves & the TOC

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
A cup of tea is about the only thing I'd use a trolley for (as @Starmill says it can be awkward to carry one without spilling it with heavy luggage, and you can't stock up easily), so this is a bizarre omission.

For what it's worth, the 80x have the Hitachi-supplied trolley same as GWR use and this does have a hot drinks urn. Not that I've yet managed to successfully obtain a cup of tea on a GWR service due to repeated faults!
Will report back about what LNER are doing after next trip. Only used the buffet for hot drinks so not paid attention to the trolley. Sure people have used it for hot drinks.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Given that as far as I’m aware TPE catering is provided by Rail Gourmet, perhaps arrangements & equipment on the new trains isn’t yet fully agreed & implemented between themselves & the TOC
After more than four months of operation of the trains?

elliotjelliot

Travelling from Liverpool to Manchester this afternoon on TransPennine Express, I asked the host for a hot chocolate when she came through the train. I was told that as this is a new type of train (one of the locomotive hauled sets), they no longer serve hot drinks to passengers in Standard. I asked why and she said that was the way that the new trains had been designed. I haven't travelled on one of these trains before.

I generally buy hot drinks onboard trains because the convenience benefit is so much greater than with other things that can be easily carried, and because hot drinks at stations usually aren't cheaper than onboard. So I find it utterly bamboozling that apparently they have decided no longer to serve hot drinks at seat in Standard class.

The host did say to me that if I wanted to I could come down to First Class they would be able to serve me there after they had gone through Standard. An at-seat service is available in First. Obviously I declined because by the time I had walked down to First, waited and then walked back we would have been half way to Manchester. This was never a problem with the old trains, so I am confused about what TPE are doing here.

I was on a 68/mk5 set last week and they were serving hot drinks off the trolley. Not very good consistency is it?

8J

Sadly that's what you get when you outsource the catering. Compare TPE's offering to GWR, Avanti or LNER who have motivated staff employed in house and a pretty decent catering product.

I'm not saying all RG staff at TPE are poor, in some cases it is quite the opposite but some really do not paint the company in a positive light.

If TPE want to brand themselves at an "Intercity for the North", then they really need to up their game for the catering both in first class and standard and I do not think that RailGourmet are up to the high standards that TPE market themselves as.

randyrippley

Established Member
Safety issue? Second class is usually so heavily packed that trundling urns of boiling water through the standing hordes would be unsafe?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Safety issue? Second class is usually so heavily packed that trundling urns of boiling water through the standing hordes would be unsafe?
There were plenty empty seats on a cold Wednesday lunchtime. It was however clear from my short experience that they are really, really poorly designed to deal with a standing load. They are very narrow and would be difficult to manoeuvre in with even a handful of standees, and are no way as suitable as a 185 for picking up big crowds.
I was on a 68/mk5 set last week and they were serving hot drinks off the trolley. Not very good consistency is it?
Interesting! I am not entirely sure why the staff would just make up something different?

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Perhaps a tweet or e-mail to them asking about the catering offer on the new trains and whether there are temporary issues with offering hot drinks in standard including the example of your own experience?
While this is a nice idea, there was absolutely nothing displayed on the screen or announced before departure to inform us that there either was or was not onboard catering. So I have probably learnt the key lesson: If I really want a hot drink the next time I have to use their services, get it before boarding.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
While this is a nice idea, there was absolutely nothing displayed on the screen or announced before departure to inform us that there either was or was not onboard catering. So I have probably learnt the key lesson: If I really want a hot drink the next time I have to use their services, get it before boarding.

I think that's the only way you can guarantee it unfortunately. If TPE are like ScotRail, the timetable will read: "a trolley catering service may be available for all or part of your journey", effectively it's not 100% guaranteed.

Nevertheless, ordinarily you shouldn't have a problem even on the newer stock going by other posts.

Class195

Slightly off topic but I was waiting on platform 16 in Leeds for a delayed TPE to Liverpool last week along with the TPE trolley on the platform.

The person did a good trade in selling hot drinks on a cold evening.

Darandio

Established Member
Slightly off topic but I was waiting on platform 16 in Leeds for a delayed TPE to Liverpool last week along with the TPE trolley on the platform.

From the platform?

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I think the OP has just been unlucky then

Correct. From the shelter on platform 16. I purchased two coffees after others had done so.

As long as they weren't selling alcohol ;)

tpjm

The Customer Host was misinformed to say that TPE no longer offer hot drinks to standard class customers.

Some of the speculation above got it spot on. There are some sets which are yet to get a catering trolley that can carry an urn. The current interim measure is a cart (filled with stock) and a thermal flask of hot water.

The carts are fitted with a topper that has cut outs to safely carry the jug of hot water and the cup being filled. The jugs are able to be refreshed from the hot water boiler in the galley so the water is always nice and hot.

Trolleys coming soon and the full catering proposition from next year.

Hope this answers all the questions.

Ian Umpleby

A catering trolley serving hot drinks was in use on Monday on Hull Trains class 802/3 bimodes brought into service last week

Djgr

Established Member
The Customer Host was misinformed to say that TPE no longer offer hot drinks to standard class customers.

Some of the speculation above got it spot on. There are some sets which are yet to get a catering trolley that can carry an urn. The current interim measure is a cart (filled with stock) and a thermal flask of hot water.

The carts are fitted with a topper that has cut outs to safely carry the jug of hot water and the cup being filled. The jugs are able to be refreshed from the hot water boiler in the galley so the water is always nice and hot.

Well except why the appropriate trolleys weren't obtained earlier.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Very much, it would've been a very strange state of affairs to no longer offer hot drinks in standard as I imagine much of the business the trolley does is in standard, especially as it's paid for in there.

NoOnesFool

This is interesting as South TPE hosts are on paperwork and not LOB/FOB. RG have trialled LOB/FOB before and it was proven unsuccessful.

NoOnesFool

Sorry, what's LOB/FOB?
Left Onboard / Found Onboard - the stock stays on the train and is counted automatically by the EPOS (sales tablet), the old method is each host is assigned paperwork and the stock and trolley are returned to the service centre at the end of the host's shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.