• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express December 2019 Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
LNER and CrossCountry aren't at liberty to sit on their hands while all TransPennine Express trains are cancelled, there are no alternative services for them, and their trains that are running have vacant seats. If they decided to do that it would be breach of the NRCoT - both from them and from TransPennine Express. Sorry if you don't like it but that's the way it is.

Fortunately people with these terrible opinions are not being listened to by management at LNER.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Senior management at TPE are very focused on delivering, and selling, extra capacity.
They have been forced to take their TransPennine Express Only tickets for stations north of Newcastle off sale. :lol: Perhaps LNER made that a condition of a ticket acceptance agreement!

tbtc

Veteran Member
Remember when TPE only ran every two hours up the WCML (north of Oxenholme), only every hour to Liverpool and the Newcastle service was only an hourly train off-peak (with the unit being used to beef up services south/west of York at rush hour)... and hourly services from Manchester to Sheffield with single DMUs?

Then the WCML service (north of Oxenholme) was increased to hourly over the course of a few timetable changes, the Liverpool service became half hourly and the Newcastle service became two per hour (albeit badly spaced for the sake of passengers wanting direct services to both Liverpool and Manchester Airport).

Now resources are being found to provide Liverpool services up the WCML plus extending some of the Newcastle services to Edinburgh... but the Sheffield service is still getting single DMUs.

Great for the fringes of the franchise, amazing if you are the kind of person wanting low priced advanced tickets to/from Edinburgh/ Glasgow, sure, but it's harder to take when you are waiting modest improvements to Sheffield

Which is exactly the point I’m making. TPE could take a much more leisurely approach to introducing their new fleets but then the forum would be filled full of posts along the lines of ‘why am I travelling on a 3 car Class 185 that’s completely rammed, when there are five car Nova 1 trains sat at Heaton awaiting crew training.’

Or maybe "why am I travelling on a 3 car Class 185 that’s completely rammed from Sheffield to Manchester, when TPE are finding the resources to run from Newcastle to Edinburgh and Liverpool to Glasgow"?

Given how terrible the service is on TPEx I do not understand why the same small number of contributors to this thread are sympathetic towards them. Maybe you are Leo Goodwin and his cronies?
The level of cancellation is intolerable in my opinion

Northern deserve some criticism and get more criticism than that

TPE deserve some criticism but get criticised less than that - but TPE are bringing in loco hauled trains, so some people have a blind spot to their problems

With all this going on on the north trans pennine routes theirs not much talk about the South pennine route is this largely unaffected by the problems. As people has said on here TPE should forget about the Edinburgh extension from Newcastle and the Liverpool to Glasgow till May and see if this will ease the problems.

South TPE hasn't had things as bad. The main issue is 3-car when 6 has been promised especially in peaks and weekends when football matches are taking place especially now that Sheffield United are in the Prem.

Agreed re the extensions (a luxury in the short term IMHO)

The "south" route has been affected by general reliability problems (given the number of trains squeezed through the Dore - Swinton corridor, signalling around Sheffield, regulation...) but we are crying out for the longer trains that we were promised (but are being used to extend other services)

Short forming on LNER is no-where near as bad implied on this thread. Maybe a couple of diagrams a day, pretty similar to what TPE do on the South Pennie route every day. Couple this with LNER try to focus the short-forming on the quieter services (Sorry Leeds)

In LNER's favour, the services were cut under VTEC (to ensure reliability) - at least Virgin took action to thin out the timetable (instead of promising to run 100% and regularly cancelling trains), so I think they are more honest about cancellations

transmanche

Established Member
TPE should not have introduced their services primarily aimed at extraction of revenue from other franchised operations until they could resource them.
You keep banging on about that, but until the end of January (at least) there are only four TPE services per day in either direction between Newcastle and Edinburgh. Given that some of the Nova 1s will need to visit Craigentinny for maintenance anyway, how much difference do you think those four journeys make to the 'core' TPE service?

Kite159

Veteran Member
More likely they'll think "Oh the railway is unreliable I won't use them at all next time and take the car instead". I honestly cannot believe that anyone would advocate for TOCs refusing ticket acceptance to punish passengers?! There are reasons why it maybe should be refused (operator Xs trains are already epxeted to be full and standing so can't accommodate operators Ys passengers) but punishing passengers? Really?

Agreed, and once they switch to using the car they will likely continue to use the car rather than risk using the unreliable railway

DannyMich2018

Agreed, and once they switch to using the car they will likely continue to use the car rather than risk using the unreliable railway
Also one thing not raised by anyone is that TPE has 44 new trains but at the min only a fraction are in passenger traffic. It must be hugely expensive for TPE as there is storage costs for any stored units plus presumably leasing costs, fuel, track access costs for testing/training runs and of course very few out earning any money so I'd assume it's in their interest to get more in traffic.....

Failed Unit

Established Member
More likely they'll think "Oh the railway is unreliable I won't use them at all next time and take the car instead". I honestly cannot believe that anyone would advocate for TOCs refusing ticket acceptance to punish passengers?! There are reasons why it maybe should be refused (operator Xs trains are already epxeted to be full and standing so can't accommodate operators Ys passengers) but punishing passengers? Really?
I will expand. If LNER are getting compensated to the market value of the ticket (or more) I have no issue.

Yes. The passengers should not be punished.

However - what first group have done is also totally unacceptable. They have sold advance purchase tickets for a train service they know they couldn’t run at the time they sold the ticket. If they are not compensating LNER this is actually theft. They have taken £20 for example of revenue for a service they knew they couldn’t provide and getting LNER to carry the passenger for free (when the passengers would have probably used LNER anyway had first not gone in to extract their revenue). I doubt anyone would drive on this route.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I will expand. If LNER are getting compensated to the market value of the ticket (or more) I have no issue.

Yes. The passengers should not be punished.

However - what first group have done is also totally unacceptable. They have sold advance purchase tickets for a train service they know they couldn’t run at the time they sold the ticket. If they are not compensating LNER this is actually theft. They have taken £20 for example of revenue for a service they knew they couldn’t provide and getting LNER to carry the passenger for free (when the passengers would have probably used LNER anyway had first not gone in to extract their revenue). I doubt anyone would drive on this route.
It's exceptionally unlikely, close to impossible, that the payment to LNER would be based on the public fare (or 'market value' as you call it) at £95.50 per person between Edinburgh and York.

It's far more likely that what LNER receive is either nothing or something non-pecuniary.

Failed Unit

Established Member
You 'doubt' that people drive between the Central Belt and towns and cities in Northern England? Is that some kind of joke?
No it isn’t. I will expand. I doubt that they would chose rail because TPE have undercut LNER by £5. This service is not about getting people out of cars and onto rail after all.

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
It's exceptionally unlikely, close to impossible, that the payment to LNER would be based on the public fare (or 'market value' as you call it) at £95.50 per person between Edinburgh and York.

It's far more likely that what LNER receive is either nothing or something non-pecuniary.
Which is why I have a problem. If LNER get nothing- first are getting unpunished for selling tickets to a service they knew they could not deliver. No wonder the industry is such a mess if this is allowed. They can basically do the same with their open access service. Sell tickets, not run any trains because of some “issue” and LNER will carry the passengers for free.

Starmill

Veteran Member
No it isn’t. I will expand. I doubt that they would chose rail because TPE have undercut LNER by £5. This service is not about getting people out of cars and onto rail after all.
A lot of the time you would find LNER charging £95.50 single for a sold out Edinburgh to London train for a journey to York, with TransPennine Express offering £20-30 tickets to Leeds and Manchester. There can be no real doubt that the idea behind the extension is to dramatically cut prices. It offers almost no new links otherwise (Various places to Morpeth and Edinburgh to Huddersfield are essentially the only ones that might get used).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Which is why I have a problem. If LNER get nothing- first are getting unpunished for selling tickets to a service they knew they could not deliver. No wonder the industry is such a mess if this is allowed. They can basically do the same with their open access service. Sell tickets, not run any trains because of some “issue” and LNER will carry the passengers for free.
TransPennine Express will probably end up giving at least half of the money back to most of the people who they sold tickets to in delay compensation anyway.

Failed Unit

Established Member
TransPennine Express will probably end up giving at least half of the money back to most of the people who they sold tickets to in delay compensation anyway.
But they still get to keep some revenue for selling tickets on a service they knew they could not operate. Why is this not illegal? They shouldn’t be allowed to generate revenue in this way.

As we know claim delay repay is difficult to do. Many people won’t bother giving them more extra revenue.

Last edited:

Ben Bow

First have form for that sort of thing, last year at the height of Hull Trains problems, they would sell advance tickets the day before for the first service out of Kings Cross the next morning when it was already known the last up service from Hull that night would be cancelled.

But they still get to keep some revenue for selling tickets on a service they knew they could not operate. Why is this not illegal? They shouldn’t be allowed to generate revenue in this way.

As we know claim delay repay is difficult to do. Many people won’t bother giving them more extra revenue.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The first service from Hull was the one HT always tried to run because if they cancelled it, being a peak train, they had to pay LNER a small fortune each day they picked up their punters. Refunds weren’t cheap either.

LNER don’t do ticket acceptance for free. They will be getting a fair wedge for each TPE cancellation or they just won’t do it. They usually operate on an agreed rate per cancelled train basis and it’s not peanuts.

In addition to that all the other operators will be putting in their ORCATS disputes for all the TPE IA revenue associated with the pre-cancelled trains. Previous precedent says that TPE will have to accept the loss for the period of pre-cancellation. It’s a simple MOIRA calculation to find out roughly what the figure is.

xtradj

Apparently the 6th Jan is now dead as we all expected

New date for a full service is 27th Jan although I imagine this may also be extended.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The first service from Hull was the one HT always tried to run because if they cancelled it, being a peak train, they had to pay LNER a small fortune each day they picked up their punters. Refunds weren’t cheap either.

LNER don’t do ticket acceptance for free. They will be getting a fair wedge for each TPE cancellation or they just won’t do it. They usually operate on an agreed rate per cancelled train basis and it’s not peanuts.

In addition to that all the other operators will be putting in their ORCATS disputes for all the TPE IA revenue associated with the pre-cancelled trains. Previous precedent says that TPE will have to accept the loss for the period of pre-cancellation. It’s a simple MOIRA calculation to find out roughly what the figure is.
Thank you. This is very good to know the first group will be getting hit where it matters for their current failure to operate their proposed timetable.
Still the silence from dft is surprising considering this is exactly the same as the 2018 GTR meltdown where a timetable was implemented which could not be resourced.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
First day commuting of the new year. Not a single cancellation from Leeds this early AM towards Manchester I can see, with one scarborough in the other direction.

Before Christmas generally you'd see more than half early morning services cancelled. Hopefully a corner has been turned.

Killingworth

Established Member
First day commuting of the new year. Not a single cancellation from Leeds this early AM towards Manchester I can see, with one scarborough in the other direction.

Before Christmas generally you'd see more than half early morning services cancelled. Hopefully a corner has been turned.

Seems the 185s that were being redeployed to double up South Pennine services have been commandeered to help out. Today that probably won't be too much a problem, not least because lack of trained crew prevents them from being fully used anyway. Things will get better and hopefully very soon. After turning that corner there's maybe even light at the end of the tunnels.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Seems the 185s that were being redeployed to double up South Pennine services have been commandeered to help out. Today that probably won't be too much a problem, not least because lack of trained crew prevents them from being fully used anyway. Things will get better and hopefully very soon. After turning that corner there's maybe even light at the end of the tunnels.

Slightly overlapping the Double Units thread but commuter numbers, though picking up now Christmas and New Year's Day are over, will not be back to pre-Xmas week levels until Monday so that makes perfect sense.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

I doubt it. North TPE Cancellations were not due to a lack of stock they were due to a lack of train crew.

Killingworth

Established Member
I doubt it. North TPE Cancellations were not due to a lack of stock they were due to a lack of train crew.

Possibly a bit of both. Not enough trained crews to operate Novas but many can still operate 185s. But no point trundling empty 185s back and forth this week when loadings will be light.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
16:30 to Hull is 6 car as was the 06:05 Hull to Manchester (back three locked out but no one standing even after Stalybridge).

37201xoIM

Thank you. This is very good to know the first group will be getting hit where it matters for their current failure to operate their proposed timetable.
Still the silence from dft is surprising considering this is exactly the same as the 2018 GTR meltdown where a timetable was implemented which could not be resourced.
I would share your surprise, had I not so much experience of exactly the same from "DfTfN".

We saw this coming. One can but try...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The main issue appears to be that to use 6 cars on the peak hill services requires two guards so regularly they are turfing everyone out of the back set at Huddersfield on the way to Manchester ready for the busiest bit of the journey.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Nothing fully cancelled according to Journey Check and we're on 10am! Good start albeit at least one South TPE service which should be 6-car is only 3-car.

transmanche

Established Member
trains.im/ppm is currently reporting a PPM of 90% for the North Transpennine service group today, with 179 of 197 services arriving 'on time'. Notwithstanding all the 'planned cancellations', it looks as though the emergency timetable might be starting to offer passengers some level of reliability.

lampwick

Unfortunately it was back to square one this morning with 50% cancelled on West Coast and 37% on North TransPennine. As a regular North TransPennine commuter between Manchester and Leeds, I’ve never known it so bad as it has been recently. An absolutely miserable commute with no certainty from day to day.
Thankfully I have an understanding employer who is giving me some flexibility but this will not last. It’s incredibly stressful and really impacts on your life outside work.

Status
Not open for further replies.