Transpennine Express December 2019 Proposals

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by Paul Duck, 17 Jun 2019.

1. Nicholas Lewis

Nicholas Lewis Member

2. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

You can tell how carefully TPE has updated the text of the cancellations when there is still "Does not run on 24 December" in there.

3. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

Might even be an advance warning of "things to come"....:rolleyes:

4. DanBlanchflowe

DanBlanchflowe Member

Sorry I got it wrong regarding the cancellation. I should not have shouted about my general frustration of the limited working together of TOC's to accomodate other TOC's passengers. I remember it was so different with a unified BR.

5. transmanche

transmanche Established Member

(I didn't mention this specifically before, as it didn't seem relevant being as the TPE service operated all the way to Edinburgh.)

TPE has arranged for ticket acceptance on LNER services "if there is no TPE service within one hour of the booked departure time" - hence my comment about 'the average passenger' checking the website or speaking to the TPE conductor. Should the 06:24 ex-Liverpool be curtailed at Newcastle tomorrow, then 'the average passenger' with a TPE-only ticket would be accepted on the next LNER departures - the 09:47 and the 09:54 from Newcastle. That's a whole 14 minutes after the XC departure that they wouldn't be permitted to use.

Given the circumstances, that doesn't seem too bad.

6. E100

E100 Member

I've been keeping somewhat of an eye on TPE so far this year via Journey check. By and large they do appear to be making the temporary timetable work with many Nova's in service on Edinburgh to Liverpool via Newcastle and not loads of cancellations. Credit where credit is due, though on a temporary timetable...

7. 47271

47271 Established Member

I've done a lot of travel between York and Manchester over the past two days and, whilst I've had late running caused by congestion, there's been nothing amiss as far as the scheduled services are concerned.

Have they turned a corner, or have I just been lucky?

8. johntea

johntea Established Member

9. PG

PG Member

I'm not fully up to speed with this Twitter malarkey but isn't the point to provide near real-time information?
    So why leave it till today to tweet about something he did yesterday... ;):rolleyes:

Edit: and isn't he ultimately the boss of Network Rail?... Perhaps he just wore two hats :lol:

10. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

He can't tell Network Rail what to do on a day to day basis, they have a 5-year settlement determined by ORR (for 2019-24).
    TPE has a franchise contract which also puts them at arms length, and DfT has obligations too.
    He doesn't have any direct contractual power over Hitachi or CAF - their contracts will be with Roscos and the TOCs.

The Shapps tweet it time-stamped at 1256 on the 15th so presumably sent in the early hours of the following day.

11. PG

PG Member

Fair enough, I just think its the usual hot air crowing of a government minister saying but not actually doing anything, all the northern folk who voted Tory must be delighted seeing his tweet :D<D

I doubt CAF are wetting themselves in case he stops hesitating and "escalates things further"...

12. td97

td97 Member

More delays in return of a full service - seems to be an uplift in MF services for the period 3-14 Feb, but still not a full timetable.
    For SO there is again a partial reintroduction on 8 Feb
    SuO is apparently the full timetabled service as of 26 Jan, which seems ambitious but time will tell. Also for Northern, who for the first time in months may be able to pull off a reasonable Sunday service.
    Full details at https://tpexpress.co.uk/travel-updates/december-2019-timetable-changes

13. TPlanner93

TPlanner93 Member

I was awaiting this post!

Looks to be a fairly big reintroduction at least, only 4 pre-cancelled services in each direction between Liverpool & Newcastle.

Clearly still unacceptable and we await to see how many "unplanned" cancellations there will be.

14. Staffordian

Staffordian Member

Although a full timetabled service is planned for Sun 26 Jan, it is by no means a normal timetable as the Standedge Route is closed for engineering works. According to RTT, the following services on the ‘North Transpennine’ route will run (all hourly):
    Liverpool - Manchester Victoria
    Manchester Airport - York via Calder Valley
    Manchester Victoria - Scarborough via Calder Valley
    York - Redcar Central
    York - Newcastle (one jny extended to Edinburgh)
    Leeds - Hull

I would imagine these will require far fewer resources than a ‘standard’ Sunday, which probably explains why a ‘full’ service is planned.

15. Nicholas Lewis

Nicholas Lewis Member

Im not deriding the complexity of introducing the new trains alongside running the existing service but they are paid handsomely (there CEO is best paid TOC MD) to have worked this out properly, understood the impact on the services they are contractually obliged to provide so passengers know what they are doing. The same excuse is still on there from 2019 not even updated it to apologise and share with there customers what the challenges are. I bet they still had the trains in the booking systems til last week as well.