• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express New Trainee Driver Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

penninedriver

For anyone that is interested, thought id pass on ive just seen a facebook post from TPE that they are recruiting new trainee drivers from next Monday 14th January. Doesn't say for which depots but tells you to visit
firstgroup.com/careers for further details from next Monday. Check out TPE's facebook page. Good luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sw1ller

Established Member
For anyone that is interested, thought id pass on ive just seen a facebook post from TPE that they are recruiting new trainee drivers from next Monday 14th January. Doesn't say for which depots but tells you to visit
firstgroup.com/careers for further details from next Monday. Check out TPE's facebook page. Good luck!

thanks very much for this! hope its manchester.

sw1ller

Established Member
cracking, just what ive been waiting for. kinda feel a bit nervous now!!!! haha, oh well, what will be will be. how is firs to work for?? i dont care end of the day but would be nice to know. I'll work for anyone!!!

WestRiding

what is or would the starting salery be, it is this pay drop that prevents me becoming a driver whilst training. i am currently a signalman.

Vicpaul

Kind of wish I chose these over southern for family reasons. Couldn't bare going through the process again so gonna sit tight do my time and apply for a qualified position down the line

TDK

Established Member
what is or would the starting salery be, it is this pay drop that prevents me becoming a driver whilst training. i am currently a signalman.

Quite a substantial difference. Even after passing out you will only get 80% of the mainline driver's salary for the first 2 years, wrong I know but blame the qualified drivers agreeing this in the forst place to get a bigger payrise about 7 years agon

rugi

How much less will depend on your grade and or the TOC you join. As far as I can recall they vary but are about £20k or £22k.

rugi

First Scotrail vacancy at Tweedbank states £22,281 in first year while traning then £30k when passed then increases with experience to £39k. It takes time to go through the process so I intend to try to save some overtime money during that period. Last time vacancies were in my area I had two sons in university so not an option then. Though it is not all about the money I want it for other reasons as well not least a changing scenery rather than the same tree in between trains trundling passed.

sw1ller

Established Member
Quite a substantial difference. Even after passing out you will only get 80% of the mainline driver's salary for the first 2 years, wrong I know but blame the qualified drivers agreeing this in the forst place to get a bigger payrise about 7 years agon

i know 3 years is a long time to be on a low pay but surely its worth it in the end!!??!!

PeteH

Is that the case for TPE, across all First Group TOCs, or the industry in general?

Last edited:

sw1ller

Established Member
£18 500 for the first 12 months and its for Manchester York Newcastle and Blackpool

deffently not liverpool then no???? I hope this isnt the case but oh well, cant be too choosey, ive lived in manchester before. but i suppose its the main hub for FTPE

Pumbaa

Established Member
Liverpool was pretty much completely filled when the lists went up at the end of last year ... A heavy level of internal transfers too, which has created many vacancies at Blackpool and Manchester.

sw1ller

Established Member
Liverpool was pretty much completely filled when the lists went up at the end of last year ... A heavy level of internal transfers too, which has created many vacancies at Blackpool and Manchester.

Ahh fair enough, well manchester it is then, seems the work would be a lot more varied there anyway as most services start from manchester. I could be wrong, it has been known.... haha

KT530

Good evening all.

With the trainee salary being significantly lower in the first year, do FTPE, and other TOCs in general allow you to do part time work elsewhere in addition to the train driver training, in your spare time?

Don't know where your getting Newcastle from. I can assure you there'll be no trainee positions there.

penninedriver

Out of interest, what routes do FTPE Drivers at Piccadilly sign?

Picc drivers sign manchester airport, Liverpool via chat moss and warrington, York, and either Scarborough, hull, or the senior link do the west coast stuff. York sign Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Scarborough, Piccadilly, airport and lime street. Liverpool depots not opened yet but believe they'll be signing Liverpool to Newcastle via chat moss. Nice varied route knowledge at most depots, York has the most variety. Picc drivers who sign hull sign 170's as well as 185's. York it's just 185's, very nice units as well!

Quickthorn

Picc drivers sign manchester airport, Liverpool via chat moss and warrington, York, and either Scarborough, hull, or the senior link do the west coast stuff. York sign Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Scarborough, Piccadilly, airport and lime street. Liverpool depots not opened yet but believe they'll be signing Liverpool to Newcastle via chat moss. Nice varied route knowledge at most depots, York has the most variety. Picc drivers who sign hull sign 170's as well as 185's. York it's just 185's, very nice units as well!

Thanks for that.

I think Blackpool was mentioned: do you know what routes they sign, and what traction?

KT530

penninedriver - do FTPE employees get free travel on First Buses, or is it just FTPE trains?

penninedriver

penninedriver - do FTPE employees get free travel on First Buses, or is it just FTPE trains?

You and your spouse get free travel on ftpe. After 6 months you also get a card for free travel on first scotrail, first hull trains, first great western and first capital connect, you get 12 days a year for these other first companies. Also after six months you get family and friends travel for a fiver on all first tocs. So as long as either you or your spouse travel they can come for only a fiver. With the buses, you can buy fiver weekly tickets which allow 7 days consecutive travel for you, family and friends. Hope this helps!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Thanks for that.

I think Blackpool was mentioned: do you know what routes they sign, and what traction?

Blackpool only do the NW stuff to Man Airport. I think it'd be getting something else soon too as a sweetener, as Preston and Barrow are taking a greater share of the work. Probably some Scotland trips.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Aren't Picc drivers losing north of Preston to Preston though? Liverpool will do both routes to Manchester, and Scarborough too I thought. Most of the drivers at Picc who are transferring to Liverpool already sign Scarborough, so they were going to give Hull to the Picc crews and Scarborough to Liverpool.

KT530

You and your spouse get free travel on ftpe. After 6 months you also get a card for free travel on first scotrail, first hull trains, first great western and first capital connect, you get 12 days a year for these other first companies. Also after six months you get family and friends travel for a fiver on all first tocs. So as long as either you or your spouse travel they can come for only a fiver. With the buses, you can buy fiver weekly tickets which allow 7 days consecutive travel for you, family and friends. Hope this helps!

Thanks penninedriver.

I notice that FTPE run trains during the night so to speak around Man Airport - what are the shift patterns like, i.e. what proportion would be early/lates/nights?

Thanks

Geargrinder

Argh, still 2 months until my 6 months has elapsed from last time :(

How exactly does the 6 month thing work. Is it that you can't apply within 6 months of the date you made an application to First Group, or is it 6 months from the point you last failed ie when they informed you that you were unsuccessful ?

Quickthorn

I noticed this on FTPE's site

For some roles you may be screened out at the initial application stage because you live over a certain distance and or travelling time from your designated place of work.

My nearest FTPE depot is York at 60 miles away (1hr 20 mins away). I'd be happy to move almost anywhere rather than commute that distance, but would I still be screened out at the application stage because I live too far away now?

If that's the case for all TOCs, I might be stuck, because the only depots of any sort I know of within an hour of me are Doncaster and Sheffield.

TheVicLine

I noticed this on FTPE's site

My nearest FTPE depot is York at 60 miles away (1hr 20 mins away). I'd be happy to move almost anywhere rather than commute that distance, but would I still be screened out at the application stage because I live too far away now?

If that's the case for all TOCs, I might be stuck, because the only depots of any sort I know of within an hour of me are Doncaster and Sheffield.

No, if you indicate at the application stage that you are willing to re-locate then you will be processed and advanced to the next stage if successfull.

Shrimper

How exactly does the 6 month thing work. Is it that you can't apply within 6 months of the date you made an application to First Group, or is it 6 months from the point you last failed ie when they informed you that you were unsuccessful ?

Good question - I assume it was the date you failed on so that 6 month elapses between each process, though I could be wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.