• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Express North Route, New Timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartacus

Established Member
The alternative is to shunt the problem services south to Wilmslow to reverse there. Neither route knowledge or clearance would be a problem, nor would finding a path for them. Pretty simple solution if it’s needed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greybeard33

Established Member
The alternative is to shunt the problem services south to Wilmslow to reverse there. Neither route knowledge or clearance would be a problem, nor would finding a path for them. Pretty simple solution if it’s needed.
I am afraid that would not work under the current timetable. To end interworking and allow time for the shunt to Wilmslow and back, the turnarounds of the Middlesbrough and Newcastle services would each have to be extended to 70 minutes. That would mean that the eastbound Middlesbrough would arrive back at the Airport from Wilmslow at about the same time as the next westbound from Middlesbrough arrived to unload. So two platforms still needed at the same time for TPE North, leaving no room for the Northern trains.

What makes you think that TPE drivers have route knowledge of Airport to Wilmslow?

Spartacus

Established Member
Didn't they divert that way 6 or so months back when the Airport was closed?
Then again if the competence hasn't been kept up you'd be out of luck.
Sam

That was what I was thinking, though as a section of new route to sign it's hardly a long distance. In practice it might have been practical to employ a shunt driver at Manchester Airport anyway.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm not sure we need two threads on the December TPE timetable so please see the dedicated thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.