• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TransPennine Express Short of 158's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
On my way to work this morning, I noticed a 153 running into Scunthorpe from Cleethorpes instead of a 158. Are things that bad for TPE at the minute they have to borrow a 153 of Northern Rail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
Hmm, they got quite a few 158s, they pinch ATWs 175s and needing 153s? Unless they are used for a quiet service or getting rid of them for the 185s a bit too early?

David

Established Member
The 175's based at Manchester are in a pool for use by TPE and ATW (I think), but the 08:10 of Scunthorpe to Manchester is usually pretty busy.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Harry Potter said:
The 175's based at Manchester are in a pool for use by TPE and ATW (I think), but the 08:10 of Scunthorpe to Manchester is usually pretty busy.

153, sounds a bit insane. :???: You would have at least expected them to find a 156/8. And apparently, 175s have been known to occasionally work this side of the pennines too.

steve158

Harry Potter said:
On my way to work this morning, I noticed a 153 running into Scunthorpe from Cleethorpes instead of a 158. Are things that bad for TPE at the minute they have to borrow a 153 of Northern Rail?

where did you see this, exactly??

steve158

maybe they were changing the unit for the barton service(going back to Doncaster/Sheffield??), it's a bit too far for the scunny stopper.

David

Established Member
Latest observation - A 156 on the 0727 Cleethorpes - Manchester today. Definately not a stock move. I saw it in the same place I mentioned above.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
South Transpennine always seem to get the rubbish lol! I haven't seen any strange workings this side of the Humber.

Guinness

Established Member
laverack222 said:
153, sounds a bit insane. :???: You would have at least expected them to find a 156/8. And apparently, 175s have been known to occasionally work this side of the pennines too.

175s can't work South Transpennine due to Clearance issues at Hazel Grove IIRC.

steve158

Harry Potter said:
Latest observation - A 156 on the 0727 Cleethorpes - Manchester today. Definately not a stock move. I saw it in the same place I mentioned above.

Northern 156?? they must be busting a few units then.

Gareth Hale

Ive noticed that TPE run Class 155's insteads of 158's on the Bpool - Scarborough line.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Gareth Hale said:
Ive noticed that TPE run Class 155's insteads of 158's on the Bpool - Scarborough line.

Firstly, it is not TPE, but actually Northern that operate this service. Secondly, these services, as far as I am aware do not run through to Scarborough, but terminate at York. This was altered some time again. TPE now operate some shuttles between York and Scarborough in their place.

Finally, 155s are very rare on this route. It is more likely that you will get a former FNW or WYPTE 158.

Status
Not open for further replies.