• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express decide not to use MK3's on limited services

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbersidejim

It's likely ex AGA & VTWC Mk3 DVTs were available should they have been required, but this would have required extra training and acceptance for a relatively short period of operation.

I would have thought another good reason for this limited period of top and tail locos is the opportunity for extra driver hours/training on the 68s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Are we really this short of DVTs, or is it merely that the DVTs would have needed rewiring and that was not acceptable as this is a stop gap job?

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Are we really this short of DVTs, or is it merely that the DVTs would have needed rewiring and that was not acceptable as this is a stop gap job?
From reading elsewhere, DVTs not compatible with the 68s, so not worth a rewire for the stop-gap. As a bonus, this way the drivers gain experience on the 68s (needed for the long term) in both directions, instead of in one direction gaining experience on a DVT which is less useful for the long-term plan.

bonzawe

If a major part of the purpose of this is to start driver training ready for the new Mk5's what help is training drivers on Mk3 DVT? With a 68 at each end, twice as much opportunity to learn the new traction and a conversion to a MK5 dvt when available. As TPE are leasing enough 68's for 13 trains plenty spare at the moment to turn out 4 on two sets
edit
Typing whilst eastwestdivide posted, at least we agreed!

Iskra

Established Member
Yes, that's quite right. Also, the moon is made largely of blue cheese. Oh, and Jeremy Corbyn is a Czech spy too.

Glad you managed to post before me, putting it a lot more eloquently than I was going to do. Thought it was April 1st again when I read that.

Spartacus

Established Member
Long term money saving (since the 1980s at least) has come from having easily reversible trains, removing the costs associated with staff on the ground and pointwork to maintain, and reducing congestion (extra movements) at ever-busier stations.

Indeed, it goes back over a century to pre big 4 days, and Scarborough was a good place to see them, both railcard and push-pull sets.

xotGD

Established Member
TPE will be introducing the new fresh-air carrying Irony class trains to complement the Novas.

Mike99

TPE trains are often very quiet and carry a lot of fresh air around even during the peaks.
Like many on here I've used TPE, for me on ALR's and other trips and try getting on at Leeds towards Manchester in the am peak and reverse in the pm peak and find some fresh air, recently I travelled midweek early evening from Preston to Manchester Piccadilly (train destination Manchester Airport) and then on to Leeds on a service from Manchester Piccadilly which originated at Manchester Airport and both trains were rammed and not solely with people to & from the Airport, I was lucky enough to have a seat in 1st.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I'm off work on 20 and 21 May; if I'm around Manchester, which diagram is the set running? Is there a Piccadilly or Victoria to Stalyvegas I could take?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm off work on 20 and 21 May; if I'm around Manchester, which diagram is the set running? Is there a Piccadilly or Victoria to Stalyvegas I could take?

There are supposed to be 2 sets, both working on Liverpool-Scarborough services via Manchester Victoria, starting at 0556 and 0656 from Lime St.
They don't stop at Stalybridge.
Your shortest trip from Manchester will be Victoria to Lea Green (St Helens), or Huddersfield.
Note TPE services (185s) from Leeds to Manchester Airport will be using the Ordsall Chord.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
TPE trains are often very quiet and carry a lot of fresh air around even during the peaks.

Quite, which TPE trains is he talking about? I don't remember one fitting that description in recent years.

Neither do I, and I just happen to work for the company on board and during the peaks!!! XD

It's not just the peaks and the shoulders neither, there are a lot of students between Leeds and Manchester, you got the Saturday Pennine pub crawlers and the sanddancers day out to York, football crowds, universities students going home on Friday and back to uni on Sunday, the stags and hens off to Leeds Newcastle and Liverpool, not to mention the airport traffic, and this is just the north route.

Admittedly I am carting fresh air right now, but I can guarantee when I leave York at 21:08 I'll be busy

Ianigsy

The ability to 'run around' at Lime Street went a long time ago, certainly before the current modernisation. The modernisation is getting rid of the next siding, which would have allowed a 2nd loco to wait and back onto the rolling stock in the platform, but again it hasn't been used for ages due to no safe way for driver to exit the loco whilst it is there.

Recent Specials (Football / Grand National /etc ) have had a 2nd loco approach from Edge Hill, and attach. It has then been 'top and tailed' empty back to Crewe where both locos run around before returning to Lime Street empty read for the return working. For occasional specials this works, but to do something similar every hour would require 2 extra paths in and out of Lime Street which would be much better used by passenger services.

Probably not much done since electrification - certainly as far back as I can remember (late 1970s) standard practice was for the loco from an incoming train to stay on the blocks until the stock departed on its next working and then follow it out (sometimes rather more closely than would be acceptable today!). It would then lay over in the headshunt and back on to the stock from the next arrival, which probably also helped rotate locos between Euston and Birmingham workings.

BMIFlyer

The loco hauled trains will run Monday to Friday only. So no service on 20th May.

The trains should be the 05xx, 06xx, 11xx, 12xx, 17xx and 18xx Lime St to Scarborough, plus the 08xx, 09xx, 14xx, 15xx, 20xx and 21xx Scarborough to Liverpool.

Allwinter_Kit

The trains should be the 05xx, 06xx, 11xx, 12xx, 17xx and 18xx Lime St to Scarborough,

Think i'll stay late one evening in Manchester after work (drink at the Piccadilly Tap perhaps) and catch the 18:11 service back to Leeds for a bit of loco-hauled action!

BMIFlyer

Think i'll stay late one evening in Manchester after work (drink at the Piccadilly Tap perhaps) and catch the 18:11 service back to Leeds for a bit of loco-hauled action!

You do realise the trains will run via Man Vic, not Picc?

Allwinter_Kit

You do realise the trains will run via Man Vic, not Picc?

Bugger. Although that does make sense now I think about it for more than a second!

Guess it won't be a pub trip but a jaunt up through the NQ to Victoria instead. And a different ticket (I usually end up with a Piccadilly rather than a Manchester Stations).... hmm...

jonesy3001

Established Member
Bugger. Although that does make sense now I think about it for more than a second!

Guess it won't be a pub trip but a jaunt up through the NQ to Victoria instead. And a different ticket (I usually end up with a Piccadilly rather than a Manchester Stations).... hmm...

The trains to the airport will go via victoria and piccadilly over the chord from may depending if they stop at stalybridge.

BMIFlyer

Instructors currently being trained. Driver training to commence shortly.

There should be a run tomorrow from Crewe to Edge Hill and back. Leaving CRE at 0910 ish and back before lunchtime.

Subject to change of course so don't take that as gospel.

Status
Not open for further replies.