• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Express decide not to use MK3's on limited services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeves

Established Member
Might just be an error in trust, RTT isnt the be all and end all. Two 68s on either end :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
anybody know if these are running today and what 2 x class 68s involved.
just wondering if it is worth nipping down to preston station this lunchtime

cheers if anyone knows

(If this works) Photo of 68020 & 68022 at Winwick on Tuesday 14 Nov., on one of the Crewe - Preston trips. Today, 16 Nov., ran Crwe - Carlisle and back (once)

Attachments

• m2017_11_14_t_Winwick_19.jpg
    m2017_11_14_t_Winwick_19.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 360

sprinterguy

Established Member
(If this works) Photo of 68020 & 68022 at Winwick on Tuesday 14 Nov., on one of the Crewe - Preston trips. Today, 16 Nov., ran Crwe - Carlisle and back (once)
Cheers for that image, I was wondering what livery the locos were sporting and the formation of the rake.

Spartacus

Established Member
I doubt there's any Class 68 timing load, and given their power and light load a loco hauled electric one's probably the most appropriate.

Mollman

Established Member
Considering they are testing the MK3 set on the West Coast route and DRS have a few spare 88s knocking about I was wondering if it would make sense to use the loco-hauled set on the 3-car 185 Airport - Scotland diagram (Friday - Sunday I believe) thus increasing capacity on this route and freeing up a unit to strengthen the North Transpennine route

ash39

Established Member
None whatsoever as the whole point is to train the crews on 68's which they will eventually be using. Not 88's, which they won't be.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
As I understand it, the two Pretendolino rakes are for TPE crew training with class 68s, and not for passenger service unless there is a problem with the introduction of the new-build stock.
I should think they will only be used in service if TPE has problems meeting its franchise commitments of frequency/capacity.
Expecting them to appear on TPE services "because they are there" seems unlikely.
Running them in service will cost money.
Class 88s are not in the equation.

D1009

Established Member
As an insider, they will definitely be used in passenger service

Yes, but not yet.

What state are the coaches likely to be in internally? Are we going to see EMT-style "Sorry for the state of our trains!" stickers?
AIUI the set currently in use for training will return to Laira for further work, along with the coaches left there, before entering passenger service.

CosherB

Established Member
It would be nice to think that First, Porterbrook and DRS could come to some agreement for the ongoing use of the two Pretendolino rakes. Indeed, longer term, PRM mods for the LHCS, and (this is a very long shot!) DRS get their two Mk3 DVTs refurbished and involved. It won’t happen of course .....

ash39

Established Member
Hard to justify. Why would you order 3 new fleets of trains to then spend a not inconsiderable amount of money on a major overhaul of some very old coaching stock? Wouldn't you just order an extra 2 sets of mk5's? I'd put money on that being a cheaper option, in terms of overall life cost.

I can't see any loco hauled mk3's being modified to meet regulations. All the ones in use are either modified already, or earmarked for replacement. Any operator searching for LHCS in the next decade will have plenty of withdrawn, recently refurbished mk4's to go at...

59CosG95

Established Member
Yes, but not yet.

AIUI the set currently in use for training will return to Laira for further work, along with the coaches left there, before entering passenger service.
I was under the impression that the coaches currently at Laira are currently being worked on, and that a swap would occur at some point; this could (like much in the railway) be naught but hearsay.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sorry, what???
Several years back, some DMUs were transferred from old Northern to EMT. As EMT were short of stock, these units were pressed into service straight away rather than being refurbished first. After complaints, stickers were placed in these units apologising for the condition they were in...

... or so the legend has it! ;)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Several years back, some DMUs were transferred from old Northern to EMT. As EMT were short of stock, these units were pressed into service straight away rather than being refurbished first. After complaints, stickers were placed in these units apologising for the condition they were in...

Haha, that’s funny. I’d like to see those, do you know of any pictures?

Does anyone know when the This Mk3 set enters service? Sorry, I haven’t looked through the thread properly.

DanNCL

Established Member

Does anyone know when the This Mk3 set enters service? Sorry, I haven’t looked through the thread properly.
I think it was meant to be entering service in December; though with the little amount of progress being made with the set, I'd be surprised if it actually enters service in December

coxxy

Cant remember specifics but believe it was a couple of 156's that Northern sent over.. Think this happened around the time Northern started to receive the 150's from London Midland a couple of years back.

Highlandspring

Established Member

In the last days of the class 117s in Scotland around 1999 ScotRail put stickers in the units apologising for their poor condition. They were in a real state by then though.

Crossforth

Established Member
I think it was meant to be entering service in December; though with the little amount of progress being made with the set, I'd be surprised if it actually enters service in December

Having spoken to a manager yesterday who now signs the MK3 stock, he says they should be coming into service from January

MatthewRead

On Moderation
In the last days of the class 117s in Scotland around 1999 ScotRail put stickers in the units apologising for their poor condition. They were in a real state by then though.
I thought it was 2000 they were withdrawn, I know 101's still worked the East Kilbride services until 2001.

Geeves

Established Member
In regards to the 156s that Northern were forced to send to EMT Northern were told not to touch them and leave the refurbishment to EMT. Only doing as they were told. Most of the other 156s had at least had new carpets and seat covers by the time those 156s had left.

Anyways, what can we expect the first route these 68s and Mk3s will be seen on? Are they to be used as standby or in general service?

LowLevel

Established Member

It's quite true, they had posters fitted.

To be precise Northern were required to give them a bottom end overhaul first (mechanical equipment) but were told to leave the interior as they were to be gutted anyway.

They swiftly became known as Northern Sheds.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's quite true, they had posters fitted.

To be precise Northern were required to give them a bottom end overhaul first (mechanical equipment) but were told to leave the interior as they were to be gutted anyway.

They swiftly became known as Northern Sheds.
I'm sure it was true, the "legend" comment was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that photographic evidence of it is very much thin on the ground!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Didn't EMT also give them a number of other modifications like new blinds, door controls and chargers for phones in the cabs?

Bevan Price

Established Member
In regards to the 156s that Northern were forced to send to EMT Northern were told not to touch them and leave the refurbishment to EMT. Only doing as they were told. Most of the other 156s had at least had new carpets and seat covers by the time those 156s had left.

Anyways, what can we expect the first route these 68s and Mk3s will be seen on? Are they to be used as standby or in general service?

According to a TP driver (last summer), they would be used to give TP crews experience in working loco-hauled passenger trains. Possibly only one diagram per day at first; Liverpool - Scarborough has been suggested for the initial route with Mark 3 stock - but until (or if) TP electrification gets done, the Mark 5 stock & 68s might later move onto Newcastle services.

((Of course, the "plan" may have changed since then...)

LowLevel

Established Member
Didn't EMT also give them a number of other modifications like new blinds, door controls and chargers for phones in the cabs?

They had East Midlands blinds, intermediate door panels in the centre vestibules, new seats, carpets and panels and DIPTAC door buttons fitted. No EMT 156s have in cab chargers - they're fitted to some 153 and 158 units but fitting seems to have stalled, probably because you can now use the ticket machine printer as a giant charging pack instead and the drivers are banned from using them regardless.

They still differ from the long term Central units though - different toilet config (for now until they're ripped out soon), door buttons are the opposite way around, no litter bins in the middle vestibules, no wheel slide protection system (they're owned by Angel so won't be fitted at the moment unlike the Porterbrook ones that are already done), different secondman's side cab desk etc.

I think we are a bit off topic though!

Status
Not open for further replies.