• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine real ale trail 21st april

Status
Not open for further replies.

shires666

Hi all having a bit of a team bonding by doing the ale trail on saturday 21st april im assuming the cheapest ticket i can find is wakefield to stalybridge via leeds and stopping one by one on the way back, day return £13.70 or is there a cheaper option without having to book in advance??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
No advances for that flow between Wakefield and Stalybridge, so the day return is probably the best ticket.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Hi all having a bit of a team bonding by doing the ale trail on saturday 21st april im assuming the cheapest ticket i can find is wakefield to stalybridge via leeds and stopping one by one on the way back, day return £13.70 or is there a cheaper option without having to book in advance??

Doing the ale trail on a Saturday? Good luck to you is all I can say. Please let us know if you manage to return unscathed.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Doing the ale trail on a Saturday? Good luck to you is all I can say. Please let us know if you manage to return unscathed.

Was on the 17:22 Liverpool to Scarborough TPE service Saturday past, passed Stalybridge -pub very busy, but the eye opener was either Slaithwaite or Marsden (not sure which?) as the platform was rammed - think there was a few Police Support Officers (PCSOs?) on the platform as well, pub at Dewsbury also very busy.

Alighted at York - Coopers on station also full of bam sticks - I though we Scots had a drink problem..............

Are the local services strengthened? We were on an express so not too busy after Manchester.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Was on the 17:22 Liverpool to Scarborough TPE service Saturday past, passed Stalybridge -pub very busy, but the eye opener was either Slaithwaite or Marsden (not sure which?) as the platform was rammed - think there was a few Police Support Officers (PCSOs?) on the platform as well, pub at Dewsbury also very busy.

Alighted at York - Coopers on station also full of bam sticks - I though we Scots had a drink problem..............

Are the local services strengthened? We were on an express so not too busy after Manchester.
Occasionally, but not normally strengthened. Mainly due to platform lengths which prohibit longer formations. As reported on here numerous times it really is getting a pain on Saturdays now, with the large gangs of drunken fools making the local services almost unusable for anyone else. Shame really as most of the pubs - and beers - are very nice. Best day to do it is Sunday, although Friday is starting to get a bit worse as folk start to switch from Saturday to Friday to avoid the aforementioned problems. This is especially true for retired / semi retired men, who are, in my experience, far more rude and obnoxious when popped up in a group than the younger lads.

Established Member
Huddersfield - MCV local stopping services used to be packed even before the Real Ale trail became popular, and I don't think I've ever been on a service that has been strengthened on that line yet.

nedchester

Established Member

Very true. I've enjoyed doing this for years but now try and do the trip mid week as there are less idiots. I think that a lot of the trouble is not those going for the 'real ale' (there is a great variety of different beers in the pubs) but those just on a general '**** up' - yes there is a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.