• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

transpennine real ale trail advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin Rocket

Hopefully going to do the transpennine real ale trail soon from stalybridge to batley,can anyone advise the cheapest day ticket to use and any other advice or suggestions for the day out,will be starting at the manchester end,cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jwos

Assuming you won't be travelling in the morning peak, as the pubs aren't open then...

£12.20 for a cheap day return from Manchester Stns to Batley.

You can break the journey as many times as you want, as long as you don't travel on the same stretch of line more than once in the same direction.

Incidentally, is there an 'ale trail' outlet at Batley??? - There certainly isn't one on the platform.

I was only aware of 1 at Stalybridge, 2 at Hudds, and 1 at Dewsbury, but it's always wise to extend one's boozing repertoire...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Shame there dosen't appear to be a decent real ale bar at Piccadilly.

jwos

Cough Cough!!!

Sorry - still think in old money sometimes - Make that an OFF PEAK Day Return £12.20.....

Have a look at this..

South Pennine Day Ranger

I am travelling up from langley Mill when I do the Real Ale Trail and plan on taking advantage of this from Sheffield.

OK, its £14 quid but you can get on and off where you want all day.

Also check out the special offers you get with a valid rail ticket in some of these pubs, Just click on the 'Locations' tab. Explore the Rail Ale Trail

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you get as far as Leeds, I can recommend the Brewery Taps on the station approach road (just round past the NCP car park) It's quite trendy but the beers really good :) Also the Grove inn which is a good, more traditional pub. Out the main entrance, over the approach road and down the steps. Then right under the railway bridge. Over the road, past the shiny new block of flats and it's on your right round the corner.

D841

Incidentally, is there an 'ale trail' outlet at Batley??? - There certainly isn't one on the platform.

I was only aware of 1 at Stalybridge, 2 at Hudds, and 1 at Dewsbury, but it's always wise to extend one's boozing repertoire...

Here's the full trail, starting at the Batley end, and do-able only on Northern Trains - definitely NOT Transpennine Express:

Batley: Cellar Bar, opposite the station. Opens 16.00 Monday to Thursday, 12.00 other days, and is under the same management as:

Dewsbury: West Riding Licensed Refreshment Rooms, on platform 2

Mirfield: Navigation Tavern, by the canal boatyard, adjacent to the railway on the Western side. Two minutes walk from either platform

Huddersfield: Kings Head (formerly Station Tavern) and Head of Steam, both on platform 1; also: NEW - Sportsman Inn, three minutes walk - down the square past the George Hotel, turn left, under the railway viaduct, and it's in front of you

Marsden: Riverhead Brewery Tap. Downhill from the station, it's in the centre. Quite a walk, but worth it

Greenfield: Railway, opposite the station

Mossley: Britannia Inn, 217 Manchester Road, close to station

Stalybridge: Station Buffet Bar, on Huddersfield-bound platform

There are other reasonable options in Huddersfield, Marsden and Greenfield. There is also an alternative crawl, from Batley to Hebden Bridge (no suitable train service Monday to Saturday evenings or Sundays). The main crawl is do-able on Sundays, but with far less options for connecting train services.

Have fun!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
If you do intend to travel more widely in West Yorkshire, or if there is more than one person doing the trip, You should try the following combination of tickets if you are using Northern trains that stop at Marsden (although don't use this combination on a fast TPE train between Stalybridge and Huddersfield as someone like me will charge you an Excess fare for having an invalid combination!):

a) If just one person, who wishes to go into Leeds:

Manchester - Marsden (rte Direct)

Off Peak Day Return : £7.90 (£6.50 if you are just starting at Stalybridge and not Manchester)

West Yorkshire Train Day Rover : £5.30

Total for one person : £13.20. (£2.40 cheaper than a MAN - LDS CDR)

b) If two people travelling, and you are just going as far as Batley:

Manchester - Marsden (rte Direct)

Northern Duo Return - Valid for 2 People : £11.80

West Yorkshire Family Day Rover - Valid for 2 adults : £8.80

Total Fare = £20.60 which is £10.30 per person, thus cheaper than a Manchester - Batley Day Return.

Thus, if you in multiples of two people, you can get the best deal!!

Oh, and forgot to say, I did bits of this recently, visiting Dewsbury, Huddersfield (x2), Marsden, Huddersfield (again), and Halifax (superb pub 5 mins level walk from station), Leeds and back to Keighley. I have also visited Batley before and that is good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.