• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
I will link it later but a TWAO has been published for Stalybridge station to eastern portal of Standedge tunnel
I've had a quick look but all I've found is this screening decision letter from DfT to Network Rail, dated yesterday, saying an Environmental Impact Assessment is NOT required.

Edit: I've edited out the comments I previously put here because on reading it a second time, it appears an actual TWAO application will be submitted at a future date.

Last edited:

Tim_UK

I understand that the 'bridge deck' just to east of Huddersfield station is being replaced over next week or so. Is this the wide one near the George hotel with around 3 separate decks? Will all the separate decks be replaced, avoiding the awkward angle which constrains the east end of the station?

So that is John William Street, and I don't believe it is happening next weekend. There is work happening there, but no signs of impending road closure.

I think it is the Bradford Road Bridge that is being done next weekend. The matrix sign says closed from 28 March 22:30 until 2 April 05:00
The Bradford road brick has stone arch in the middle, but with an iron deck on both sides. A big iron deck on the northside and a slim iron deck on the south side.

First picture is yesterday taken from Bradford Road. There's are scaffolding stars and excavators on the viaduct. Trains are running today but the lines don't cross the iron span. The sidewalls of the viaduct have been cleaned up. The parapets removed next to the iron part, this work has been going on for several weeks.

IMG_0541.jpeg

Same view today today, from Aldi car park

IMG_0549.jpeg

Last edited:

1D53

Established Member
Correct - this is the bridge being worked on! Lots of work kit etc on top of the Viaduct too.

Spartacus

Established Member
Re the ‘pause’ at White Rose. It’s only a couple of weeks ago that WYCA announced a tramline to the White Rose Centre (the one from St James’s Hospital via Leeds City Centre and Elland Road).

So maybe this needs factoring in to the White Rose plan, either to integrate with the White Rose Rail Station or even to replace it altogether.

Two new stations on the Manchester – York line (White Rose and Thorpe Park) won’t exactly speed up the line for the fast trains, unless four tracking is installed, something which is easier to introduce to the east of Leeds (ie Thorpe Park) than to the west (White Rose).

So, maybe a review is taking place.

I always felt that White Rose station was always something of a fop to the shopping centre as it was initially planned to be within the Leeds clean air zone, which would probably have decimated it's customer numbers, especially in it's initial form, and even to a degree had it been implemented like Bradford's.

I wonder if there's been some issue with the long abandoned Churwell Colliery? I know it looked during construction like the old shaft was at least capped, but straddling it, and having a bridge support practically right next to it never seemed like a great idea.

Traf73

The three bridges over John William St will be replaced but installation is currently planned for Easter 2025. That said, the planners of TRU East and West don't seem to be able to agree on anything and it is having a knock on effect on everyone else so, as ever, this may change.

Attachments

• jws sp1.JPG
    jws sp1.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 85

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Happened to be at the White Rose yesterday and got the train home from Cottingley - What is the reason for the delay/pause on the new station? Is it, as I have heard, due to plans needing to change to incorporate a terminus for a proposed tram line?

The bus interchange at the White Rose and the railway station are not close!

A PS: How come services to these stations between Huddersfield and Leeds are served by TPE trains rather than Northern? Is it a line capacity and stock availability thing?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Happened to be at the White Rose yesterday and got the train home from Cottingley - What is the reason for the delay/pause on the new station? Is it, as I have heard, due to plans needing to change to incorporate a terminus for a proposed tram line?

A PS: How come services to these stations between Huddersfield and Leeds are served by TPE trains rather than Northern? Is it a line capacity and stock availability thing?
The operator thing is down to the ill-fated 2018 timetable, Northern at the time didn't have any diesel units quick enough to make the timetable work (ha!)... so it's a combination of capacity and (suitable) stock availability. Currently there are two stopping trains per hour on that section of line Monday to Saturday (one Northern and one TPE), but the Northern one skips Cottingley and Ravensthorpe.

On the delay, I doubt it has anything to do with the tram announcement as that's so recent. The official word is cost overruns, which isn't a particularly good look from a PR perspective... so if the powers that be were able to mention the tram thing in press releases as a kind of "fig leaf" I'm sure they would!

MontyP

I can't link to it as it is behind a paywall, but surprised that there is no discussion on this thread about yesterday's article in the Sunday Times which says that the TRU project is £1.5bn under budget and will be delivered 4 years early (in 2037)! A load of PR guff which seemed to bear little relation to reality and was full of factual inaccuracies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That was one suggestion made in the discussion about White Rose on the previous page of this thread. I doubt anyone knows the real reason.

YorksLad12

Established Member

That was one suggestion made in the discussion about White Rose on the previous page of this thread. I doubt anyone knows the real reason.
Tram (or similar) to Elland Road and White Rose weren't remotely a thing when work started on White Rose (the station), it's a recent development. It's more likely to be because of costs, which are rising everywhere. They won't abandon it now, with the amount that's been built. They'll probably have to move money around in some budgets, dip into the City Region Sustainable Transport Settlement perhaps (I think White Rose was funded though the £173.5m Leeds got after the trolleybus scheme was canned).

Meerkat

Established Member
Drone flight over the construction work happening around Ravensthorpe.

Why is the area of earthworks so vast? Is that all TRU or is other land remediation/groundwork being done at the same time (for redevelopment maybe?)?

White Rose is a complicated looking project building on an embankment - maybe found some unexpected ground conditions?
Or just the complication of being jointly funded - when it goes over budget there will be bickering over who pays.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why is the area of earthworks so vast? Is that all TRU or is other land remediation/groundwork being done at the same time (for redevelopment maybe?)?
I think it possibly looks much wider than you’d expect because it’s being done to modern standards of slope, drainage and watercourse diversion, etc etc, you can often see this with the huge width taken up by HS2 earthworks. Much of it will be restored back to fields and grassy banks later.

Sapphire Blue

I think it possibly looks much wider than you’d expect because it’s being done to modern standards of slope, drainage and watercourse diversion, etc etc, you can often see this with the huge width taken up by HS2 earthworks. Much of it will be restored back to fields and grassy banks later.
And we'll say,
"I remember when all this was just grim, desolate, industrial wasteland. That were afore t'railway spoiled it with its modern fields and its up to date grassy banks"

Spartacus

Established Member

White Rose is a complicated looking project building on an embankment - maybe found some unexpected ground conditions?
Or just the complication of being jointly funded - when it goes over budget there will be bickering over who pays.

The bit between Ravensthorpe and the canal is former (recent) landfill so will likely all need work to make sure it's suitable for building on, plus I think it's getting a feeder station, while that closer to Ravensthorpe is on an embankment, one of the main reasons I was surprised by the decision to go for a dive under not a flyover, so will need a fair bit of digging out and regrading of the land above it.

That land's been earmarked by Kirklees for a new development for years, but it's a bl00dy stupid idea, and actually involved the closure of Ravensthorpe & Mirfield with a new station being built in between that was convenient for neither. As it turns out all the recent studies have seriously question the need for it anyway, which is just as well as there's no chance of that replacement station, with or without the TRU works.

59CosG95

Established Member
I was thinking more about the fizzy knitting!

Especially since the platforms are on piles and no-doubt the stantions will have to be further out than that on an embankment.
I think so - an aerial survey on RouteView seemed to lend a suggestion to piles being driven in the embankment for OLE portals long before the platform mini-piles went in.

snowball

Established Member
There was discussion somewhere upthread about the Manchester-Stalybridge piling team making a working visit to White Rose, but it wasn't entirely clear whether it was for work for the platforms or for masts.

Halish Railway

Established Member
There was discussion somewhere upthread about the Manchester-Stalybridge piling team making a working visit to White Rose, but it wasn't entirely clear whether it was for work for the platforms or for masts.
I seem to remember some OHLE-specific piles being drilled at White Rose a while back, with the structure installed at a later date.