• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Senex

Established Member
Planning permission was granted on 29 Jan and exemptions to some conditions were granted on 27 and 29 April for renewal of the Queens Rd overbridge (to ease the curve at the junction) which includes setting up a permanent site compound. Which is at least a start.
The planning application is at
So they're proposing to get 55 mph round the curve, which is good to see. Much better than the 40 that was being spoken of fairly recently, even if not quite up to the 60 of the NR presentation a while back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I hadn't picked up that the line as far south as Church Fenton is definitely being electrified. It depresses me that I'm getting excited at the prospect of a definite 5 route miles of electrification, (although I'm sure the DfT spin would put it as 32 track km to make it sound more impressive).

I'm a bit puzzled though as to the rationale of pushing ahead of such a small amount in advance of any announcement on the bigger scheme.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I hadn't picked up that the line as far south as Church Fenton is definitely being electrified. It depresses me that I'm getting excited at the prospect of a definite 5 route miles of electrification, (although I'm sure the DfT spin would put it as 32 track km to make it sound more impressive).

I'm a bit puzzled though as to the rationale of pushing ahead of such a small amount in advance of any announcement on the bigger scheme.

I am likewise depressed. However it has as good as been announced that Huddersfield to Leeds is definitely being upgraded and electrified.

quantinghome

Established Member
In the absence of a long term commitment from government to a rolling electrification programme, maybe there is some sense is eking out the electrification schemes to maintain continuity of work for the engineering teams.

Just need it to be also from Manchester to Huddersfield and from Leeds to York as well.
It may be that they a going ahead with the parts of TRU that don't interface with HS North (as HS2 Phase 2 and NPR are now called) while we wait for clarity on how the schemes will fit together.

td97

Established Member
I hadn't picked up that the line as far south as Church Fenton is definitely being electrified.
It was made public late last year post #2421

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I wonder if the logic is to permit bi-mode trains to change over on the move in the Church Fenton area, but doing it on new, sturdy wires rather than trying it on the flimsier ECML stuff at Colton?

And it's probably an easy section to do, with 4 tracks (helpful during construction) and few bridges or other difficult bits

Of course, this is also (give or take) the section that will need wiring anyway for (eventually) HS2 Phase 2b.

Elecman

Established Member
@Elecman I am embarrassed- please remind me - LV I assume is Low Voltage but DNO?

One of theses days with moderator approval I will do a master Acronym thread hopefully to be pinned.
LV yes Low Voltage, DNO Distribution Network Operator, the own and operate the 132Kv and below distribution network

Halish Railway

Established Member
I’m assuming that also included in the York to Church Fenton work will be an upgrade of the line speed on the Leeds lines from 100 mph to 125 mph. Also, I’m assuming that Church Fenton to Leeds will be a separate program (I.e. Network are subdividing the works into several different sections, some being completed in different control periods to each other).

Also bare in mind what other work has taken place - The bridge at Bolton Percy has been lifted, a compound has been set up at Ulleskelf, some foot crossings around Garforth have been closed and devegetation has taken place in eastern Leeds.

If we’re taking about electrification and raising/lowering pantographs, will they use Series 1 (GWML) or Series 2 (MML and NW electrification) type electrification?

MikePJ

Details of the Church Fenton scheme are here: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...ade/york-to-church-fenton-improvement-scheme/

The plans include complete track replacement and new signalling equipment ("gantries, lights and cabling") as well as the electrification. I suspect that someone worked out that doing the whole job as a package was better value than doing the track renewal now and coming back to the electrification later. The post quoted above by td97 also mentions that linespeed is indeed to be raised to 125mph. Perhaps with a higher linespeed and the class 802s in electric mode they can squeeze a bit more capacity out of the route, since NR describe it as one of the busiest stretches of line in the North of England.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Details of the Church Fenton scheme are here: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...ade/york-to-church-fenton-improvement-scheme/

The plans include complete track replacement and new signalling equipment ("gantries, lights and cabling") as well as the electrification. I suspect that someone worked out that doing the whole job as a package was better value than doing the track renewal now and coming back to the electrification later. The post quoted above by td97 also mentions that linespeed is indeed to be raised to 125mph. Perhaps with a higher linespeed and the class 802s in electric mode they can squeeze a bit more capacity out of the route, since NR describe it as one of the busiest stretches of line in the North of England.
Thanks for the information - Northern better start using at least 158s and 195s and the stopping trains as pathing a 75mph Sprinter alongside 125mph Voyagers and 802s is going to be even more of a nightmare than it currently - It’s a shame that the work on the Church Fenton and Leeds seems to be a bit stagnant as having EMUs on the Leeds to York/Selby stopping services will be vital to making pathing easier along that route.

Also I didn’t realise that this would be done by 2022!

Chris NS

So I guess the next big question is what six weeks of timetable amendments entails. Unless someone knows of something I haven't thought of, there doesn't seem to be any viable diversionary routes.

Would it be feasible to close only two of the four tracks at a time, or in a complete line closure needed?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

The higher speed won’t give more capacity, but the resignalling might. However, that section is hardly a constraint on capacity - 100+ trains a day on a four track main line is not exactly taxing. The four track main line from Waterloo to Raynes Park sees nearly 1000 trains a day.

SuperNova

There is still no confirmation of what scale or scope the Upgrade will take according to that article. Has that announcement been delayed by the pandemic?

Nope - from what I've heard NR are still waiting on the government to give the green light, whenever that is. Recessions are usually a good time to invest in infrastructure so hopefully it'll give the government a kick up the bum.

jonesy3001

Established Member
So to clarify
York to church fenton,
Church fenton/garforth to Leeds,
Leeds to Huddersfield and
Stalybridge to Manchester electrification
Will be done in phases but all depends on the government.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm not sure that we need to re-do the perennial North v South arguments thank you.

59CosG95

Established Member
Also bare in mind what other work has taken place - The bridge at Bolton Percy has been lifted, a compound has been set up at Ulleskelf, some foot crossings around Garforth have been closed and devegetation has taken place in eastern Leeds.

If we’re taking about electrification and raising/lowering pantographs, will they use Series 1 (GWML) or Series 2 (MML and NW electrification) type electrification?
Thanks for the updates on the Bolton Percy, Garforth, Ulleskelf & eastern Leeds developments.
I'd hedge my bets on UK Master Series electrification being used; to be pedantic, that's what's being used on the MML. Granted, the MML does use a lot of Series 2 (i.e. Bonomi) cantilevers, but it has also featured Series 1 steelwork and cantilevers (particularly in stations, at Tensorex anchors, at mid-point anchors, and at switch feed spanwires).
Barnt Green - Bromsgrove also used UKMS, and even included a rarely-seen type of cantilever - the Alstom 'cLever' - at Blackwell Summit. https://flic.kr/p/2j3A3qV

Stevenage Turnback has benefited from the use of Siemens 'SICAT SA' cantilevers (very similar to Mk3) - which are now part of UKMS too. https://flic.kr/p/2iG6bTV
See this for more: https://www.railengineer.co.uk/2019/09/06/sicat-joins-network-rails-uk-master-series/

Mikey C

Established Member
The NR information leaflet download looks like it's aimed at the under 5's.
Yes, I thought that too, it looks like the sort of leaflet advertising activities in the local park!

I see the wiring is due to be done in 2022, is that the only planned electrification work in the pipeline by then, or will they still be working on the MML to Market Harborough?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes, I thought that too, it looks like the sort of leaflet advertising activities in the local park!

I see the wiring is due to be done in 2022, is that the only planned electrification work in the pipeline by then, or will they still be working on the MML to Market Harborough?

I’d be surprised if Market Harboro’ is finished before this is. But there will be more in the pipeline by then.

Mikey C

Established Member
I’d be surprised if Market Harboro’ is finished before this is. But there will be more in the pipeline by then.
With the lead time for such projects, will any electrification schemes announced say in the autumn be "shovel ready" (to mix my metaphors!) by 2022 though?

M60lad

Does anybody know when the old bridge at Queens Road will be taken out and when the new bridge will be installed?

59CosG95

Established Member
Planning permission was granted on 29 Jan and exemptions to some conditions were granted on 27 and 29 April for renewal of the Queens Rd overbridge (to ease the curve at the junction) which includes setting up a permanent site compound. Which is at least a start.
The planning application is at
To be pedantic, this would be an underbridge. Still, good to see some progress there!