• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mollman

Established Member
https://www.insidermedia.com/news/n...ne-route-upgrade-project-moving-to-next-phase

TRANS-PENNINE ROUTE UPGRADE PROJECT MOVING TO NEXT PHASE​

19 Mar 2021 North West Property

David Hoggarth
The latest phase of engineering work as part of the Trans-Pennine Route Upgrade is set to start in April.
Network Rail has confirmed that initial work to electrify the line will begin in Manchester, with the reconstruction of a rail embankment in Miles Platting already underway.
The next step will involve piling between Collyhurst and Miles Platting to install steel pipes that will eventually support posts and overhead electric wires between Manchester and Stalybridge.
Transport for the North has been an ardent supporter of the project to significantly overhaul the 76-mile railway from Manchester to York via Huddersfield and Leeds.
Strategic rail director David Hoggarth said: "Upgrading the existing Trans-Pennine route has long been seen as a key building block in delivering a better rail network for the North.
"It's finally underway after years in the planning and, once delivered, it'll speed up journeys, increase reliability and connect communities along the line much better than today."
However, the full extent of the project is not yet confirmed and is expected to be included in the government's upcoming Integrated Rail Plan.
Transport for the North has made the case for electrification of the full line to help cut carbon emissions, as well as providing additional track capacity to relieve bottlenecks, improve stations to make them more accessible, and facilitate a shift of growing east-west freight flows from congested roads to rail.

B Box

The suggestion of extending Huddersfield to Castleford through to York often comes up, though it's somewhat off topic for the TP Upgrade.
Well there might be a case for Huddersfield-Wakefield K-Normanton-Castleford-Church Fenton-York electric service perhaps with one stop in Wakefield for fast trains as the current route via Leeds seems to attract more stopping stations (eg White Rose and East Leeds/Thorpe Park), which can only further congest/slow down the service.

They really should be tram stops if Leeds City Council/WYCA could ever get their act together.

59CosG95

Established Member
TransPennine Wiring East Progressometer Post 2.0 - accurate to 22/03/21.
Route announced as 'to be wired' in CP6: Church Fenton - Colton Jct.

All mileages from Manchester Victoria unless stated otherwise. Bridge mileages are approximated where noted.
Going forward, changes will be shown in blue; this reflects readability improvements from the mod team.

1. Neville Hill East Jct (HUL4 18m 25ch) to Micklefield Jct (HUL4 10m 64ch; CFM 15m 63ch) - TBC. Expected to be electrified.

2. Micklefield Jct (HUL4 10m 64ch; CFM 15m 63ch) to Church Fenton North Jct (NOC/CFM 10m 36ch) - TBC. Expected to be electrified.

3. Church Fenton North Jct (NOC/CFM 10m 36ch) to Colton Jct (NOC 5m 41ch/ECM4 182m 79ch)

Electrification work underway.
Southern limit of OLE confirmed to be short of Church Fenton Stn itself due to
a) HS2 Phase 2b works; and
b) the Common Ln Underbridge/Rose Lane UWC situation (i.e. "Steventon with S&C")
With completion scheduled for October 2022; steelwork up in May 2021 & wires up in Jan 2022.

All piles presumed installed.
S1 Monobooms up over Colton S ladder. 8 S1 TTCs (3 boomed) and a UKMS Std portal also up; TTCs only up over the Normanton lines at present.
5 S1 TTCs up and boomed on the Normanton side south of Colton Ln O/B. The lone S1 Monoboom leg up on the Leeds side has now been paired with its doppelganger, and boom installed.

South of Brumber Hill Bridge, almost all S1 TTCs appear to be up and boomed (on the Up Normanton Side) as far as signals Y745 (DL)/Y742(UL)/Y747(DN)/Y44(UN). A S1 Monoboom, close to the trackman's hut on the UN side, is now fully boomed, and its adjustable leg struts are also present & correct. Its overlap compadre, 3 spans south, only has the Normanton side mast up.
A handful of masts (UKMS standard I think) are up between the Normanton lines on the old site of Bolton Percy station.

Between Ulleskelf & CF north Jn, around 20 or so masts (mainly S1 TTCs) are up on the Up Normanton side. Oddly enough, a standard UKMS mast (either a PF double channel or a UC - it's hard to tell from a telephoto shot) is up north of the current CF726/CF724 gantry. This makes me think that the crossover at CF North Jn could be repositioned for higher speed running.

At Church Fenton North Jn, 4 masts (all on the Up Normanton side) have gone up south of the signal gantry supporting signals CF726 (UN) & CF724 (UL); these are 2 no. Tensorex Monoboom Anchor masts sandwiching a pair of S1 style hook-and-pin TTC masts. This must be for an overlap - potentially the southern limit of works.

Track Sectioning Cabin to be built in Church Fenton.

Compounds established at:
Church Fenton;
Ulleskelf;
Bolton Percy (Oxton Lane);
Braegate Lane;
Earfit (Eartfitts?) Lane;
Copmanthorpe (Moor Lane);
Tadcaster Road, Copmanthorpe (by A64); and Dringhouses (Model Railway).
(N.B. All dates are subject to alteration, whether due to COVID-19 or otherwise)

Do let me know if I've missed anything!

Last edited:

CrickUK

Thanks for the update, very informative.

There appears to be a compound formed trackside off the bridle path between Brumber Hill Farm bridge and Colton Lane Bridge. They have just completed the soil stabilisation to form the compound yard slab.

59CosG95

Established Member
Big News - the TWAO for Huddersfield - Ravensthorpe has been submitted. Not an April Fool either! https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...te-upgrade/huddersfield-to-westtown-dewsbury/

Our Proposals​

Our proposals to improve the railway between Huddersfield and Westtown (Dewsbury) include:
  • Double the number of tracks from two to four along the majority of the railway.
  • Upgrading stations at Huddersfield, Deighton, Mirfield and providing a new station at Ravensthorpe.
  • Separating sections of the track from each other with a bridge (fly-over) at Ravensthorpe.
  • Electrification of the railway from Huddersfield to Ravensthorpe – and right through to Leeds.

The Benefits​

With 85% of respondents who fed back through our first round of consultation supporting the scheme, we understand how important it is to passengers and the community that we deliver the benefits of the upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

YorkshireBear

Established Member

59CosG95

Established Member
The selection of documents is very interesting indeed, particularly this one: https://sacuksprodnrdigital0001.blob.core.windows.net/twao-huddersfield-westtown/Listed Building Consents/Application No.1 - Huddersfield Station/Roof A OLE Support Details.pdf

Looks like Huddersfield won't need headspans after all!

Further details shows that the new feeder at Ravensthorpe will be a Static Frequency Converter (SFC) feeder, rather than an AT feeder. Not much point adding AT capability on a spur, after all!

On a more general note, the breakdown of the TRU works as a whole is included in the NR04 "Statement of Aims" doc.
1617265924306.png
In summary:
  • W1 - happening, with details gathered
  • W2a - happening, details a little sketchy
  • W3 - happening, with details in abundance
  • W4 - happening (only with regards to refs made in W3)
  • W5 - happening (although it's the first I've heard of it!)
  • E1 - happening - see posts upthread for progress

Stations requiring Step-Free Access (excluding Ravensthorpe-Huddersfield):
  • Church Fenton
  • Micklefield (possibly)
  • Garforth
  • Cottingley (if retained)
  • Morley
  • Batley
  • Slaithwaite (possibly)
  • Marsden
  • Greenfield
  • Mossley
  • and an 11th one which I can't put my finger on. Man Vic, Ashton-u-L, Stalybridge, Huddersfield-Ravensthorpe (in scheme W3), Dewsbury, Leeds, Cross Gates, East Garforth & Ulleskelf are all accessible.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Among the documents that are part of the application is a statement on the funding position:

1. The cost of implementing the works sought to be authorised through the proposed Network Rail (Huddersfield to Westtown (Dewsbury) Improvements) Order (“the Order”), including the costs of acquiring land which is, or may be, blighted land within the meaning of section 149 of the Town and Country Planning Act, and undertaking associated work such asenvironmental mitigation as necessary, will be met from the funding envelopes identified for the Huddersfield to Westtown Transpennine Route Upgrade W3 Project (“the TRU W3 Project”).

2. The Government has confirmed its funding commitment for Network Rail todevelop and deliver the overall Transpennine Route Upgrade (“TRU”), including the TRU W3 Project, through its published Rail Network Enhancements Pipeline (“RNEP”) (Autumn 2019 Schemes Update) published in October 2019. Schemes within the RNEP progress through decision gateways to secure funding and the Autumn 2019 update to the RNEP confirms TRU, including the TRU W3 Project, have secured a Decision to Design. This Autumn 2019 update to the RNEP was an update on the Government’s publication in March 2018 of the RNEP which at paragraph 4.7 confirmed Government committing £3bn to the development of the TRU Programme. In April 2020 the Department for Transport and Network Rail approved a further £589m of funding to progress design and early works for projects on TRU including the TRU W3 Project and to complete a detailed design scope for the TRU investment programme.

3. TRU and the TRU W3 Project will span three railway investment periods: Control Period 6 (2019 to 2024), Control Period 7 (2024 to 2029) and Control Period 8 (2029 to 2034). The cost of implementing the TRU W3 Project works to be authorised by this Order is £1,458,929,838. These costs are estimated to comprise £479m in Control Period 6, £945,929,838 in Control Period 7, and £34m in Control Period 8. In addition to the funds already available to Network Rail in Control Period 6 to progress the TRU W3 Project further funding will be made available for the delivery of the TRU W3 Project from the identified funding allocation for TRU in accordance with the RNEP governance process. This provision will be sufficient to deliver the TRU W3 Project as part of TRU, provided it has the required consents and continues to represent value for money.

4. The Department for Transport has confirmed the Government’s commitment to TRU and the TRU W3 Project along with the allocation of funding subject to ongoing consideration to ensure the project delivers the best results for both rail users and taxpayers (see Annex 1).

So Hudds to Westtown alone is expected to cost nearly £1.5bn and still be spending money at the beginning of CP7. (Edit after the discussion below: I meant CP8.)

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Among the documents that are part of the application is a statement on the funding position:

So Hudds to Westtown alone is expected to cost nearly £1.5bn and still be spending money at the beginning of CP7.

The timescales are not a suprise. TWAO not yet approved. Not even close to having shovels in ground. And it's a huge job. Id say we are at least a year away from any major start on site? Then 2-3 years to construct which will have to be done in stages.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The timescales are not a suprise. TWAO not yet approved. Not even close to having shovels in ground. And it's a huge job. Id say we are at least a year away from any major start on site? Then 2-3 years to construct which will have to be done in stages.
Wasn't the application for the Order only submitted yesterday?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Wasn't the application for the Order only submitted yesterday?
Yes. The poster above, the tone of what I read suggested they were surprised they would still be spending money in CP7, I was just trying to say it wasn't a surprise.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Yes. The poster above, the tone of what I read suggested they were surprised they would still be spending money in CP7, I was just trying to say it wasn't a surprise.
Ah I see thank you. I hadn't detected a sense that snowball thought that the work was too expensive or too slow.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Ah I see thank you. I hadn't detected a sense that snowball thought that the work was too expensive or too slow.
I could be wrong it's online afterall! Still great news all round. I honestly don't think the TWAO would be submitted if they didn't think it would be approved in this current PACE climate.

snowball

Established Member
#3887 was intended to be purely informative and mostly neutral in tone.

However it did contain an error. When I said "still spending money at the beginning of CP7" I meant "still spending money at the beginning of CP8", which may merit a bit of surprise. To be exact, £37M in CP8. I've now amended the post to correct that.

In previous posts I and others have been confused about the various sums of money that have been quoted, what exactly they do and don't cover, what works have guaranteed funding and what don't. We now know a bit more.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
#3887 was intended to be purely informative and totally neutral in tone.

In previous posts I and others have been confused about the various sums of money that have been quoted, what exactly they do and don't cover, what works have guaranteed funding and what don't. We now know a bit more.
Sorry! My bad.

snowball

Established Member
Sorry! My bad.
It was my mistake to say CP7 when I meant CP8 - and I didn't notice it until after I'd written the first version of #3893. I then edited #3893 (and #3887) but you may have already been replying.

Maybe it would be simplest if a mod could delete everything from #3888 to this post inclusive?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
When I said "still spending money at the beginning of CP7" I meant "still spending money at the beginning of CP8", which may merit a bit of surprise.
That makes more sense thank you. I agree and I also thought it was interesting to see the planned spend trailing off, presumably after most work is complete, in 2029 and beyond.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Don't forget they submitted a TWAO for Castlefield. It wasn't approved because Grayling deemed it to be too expensive. £1.5bn just for Huddersfield to just past Dewsbury is an eyewatering sum of money. Does Bald Rick think it, Stalybridge-Huddersfield electrification and the full NPR network will all be open before 2045? Have to say I'm not convinced in the post Covid world

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I agree it is eye watering but it is not just electrification. 4 tracking and other stuff in the works - step free access etc. I actually on balance prefer the breaking the project up into stages and bits approach.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I agree it is eye watering but it is not just electrification. 4 tracking and other stuff in the works - step free access etc. I actually on balance prefer the breaking the project up into stages and bits approach.
Not to mention the acquisition of land to iron out the curve at Heaton Lodge Jn, although that won’t constitute a significant part of the £1.5 billion budget seeing as it is only farmland.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

That’s very optimistic. TWAO are normally allowed 18-24 months from submitting application to order being made. This is a big one, so best to allow 2 years. During that period, properties will be being purchased (owners realising it is going to be compulsorily purchased, dangled a carrot to sell early and remove objections), and the non-contentious elements will be in detailed design. Some enabling works may take place - utility diversions etc. If the order is made in early 2023, then full mobilisation can take place. This will take at least 6 months, possibly twelve. So it’s around 3 years until a ‘major’ start on site.

In parallel, there will be a contract with National Grid / Northern Powergrid for the power supply. That could be a 3-5 year lead time.

In terms of construction, that flyover is probably on the critical path. Probably a 2-3 year job to build that, then a year to fit out and commission with track / OLE / signalling Etc. Say 4 years. So finishing around 2028/9 for the whole job. That’s if it all goes well, the TWAO doesn’t get held up, no issues with getting the access (ie disruption of the line) to build it, and no major construction issues.

Don't forget they submitted a TWAO for Castlefield. It wasn't approved because Grayling deemed it to be too expensive. £1.5bn just for Huddersfield to just past Dewsbury is an eyewatering sum of money. Does Bald Rick think it, Stalybridge-Huddersfield electrification and the full NPR network will all be open before 2045? Have to say I'm not convinced in the post Covid world

This will be done, and almost certainly Huddersfield - Stalybridge, by 2030.

The full NPR Network - well no one knows what the full network is yet. Transport for the North have, as we know, said what they want. But then my daughter has also given me a long list of what she wants for her birthday, and she’s not getting all of it, mostly because I can’t afford it, and partly because I know she’s trying it on.