• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Halish Railway

Established Member
Maybe the class 95 mentioned in the film, is a new development that they are looking at ?
No, the MK5s were specced and have been approved for 125mph running as proven by the streamlined DT, so a new class of streamlined electric locomotive was always in the pipeline.

Back on topic, I find it fascinating how Network Rail has software that can translate drawings into a visual representation, the accuracy as shown at Ulleskelf is excellent! Well done to whoever worked on that, I wasn’t aware of such software until I watched the video. Go to 23:48 to see what I’m on about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Back on topic, I find it fascinating how Network Rail has software that can translate drawings into a visual representation, the accuracy as shown at Ulleskelf is excellent! Well done to whoever worked on that, I wasn’t aware of such software until I watched the video. Go to 23:48 to see what I’m on about.
Late last night I watched not only the video in #4819 but also 3 other videos of other talks at the same event. I think the software may have been discussed in one of them but I was getting sleepy towards the end. The links to the videos were posted somewhere on this site but I forget where.

The Ham

Established Member
No, the MK5s were specced and have been approved for 125mph running as proven by the streamlined DT, so a new class of streamlined electric locomotive was always in the pipeline.

Various digitisation design software programs exist, and have done for some time (getting better and easier to use as time goes by), the software they are using was referenced to busy after that visualisation you talk about. Not sure if they said the product name but they referenced the developer Bentley who have been developing their CAD system called MicroStation for several years now.

https://www.bentley.com/en

20 years ago it would have taken days to get anything much more than a basic wireframe model, now (at least in the highway design tool we use) you can design with a 3d orbit tool as soon as you create an object so you see how things interface.

Also with the speed of the development of computers, what used to require high end workstations can be done on fairly modest computers (a bit slower, but it's possible).

They also talk about being able to identify what's at any given location, again many are doing this with their BIM software. With it possible to move around buildings in a VR type environment and be able to identify all the elements which go into constructing that building. The theory is that you could tell exactly where something runs within a building so you should be able to still a hike safe in the knowledge that you're not going to hit structural features or cables or pipes (of course what's designed and what gets built can differ).

WAO

What's the point of a progress diagram keyed in red, yellow and green, when the whole route is coloured in blue?

Does a PR firm/dept actually claim taxpayers' money for this?

What have I missed?

WAO

YorksLad12

Established Member
What's the point of a progress diagram keyed in red, yellow and green, when the whole route is coloured in blue?

What have I missed?

WAO
Someone must have lost the password (although it's running on WordPress if you look at the code, same as the main Network Rail site, it might be a different site of course).

I'd have said that this ought to be the responsibility of the project team as a whole, with a comms person looking after it. A good comms person might also have flagged up the colours issue as well, and done the line in white, say, with green for completed and blue or yellow for work taking place (I wouldn't flag up the work that is to happen - that's the rest of the route, surely?) But it's only had 7,600-ish 'hits', so they're probably not promoting the website anywhere. There's only us that care ;)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Pleasantly surprised that piling to guide bridge is happening expected it to be a gap that remained for many years!

QueensCurve

Established Member

What have I missed?

WAO
A consultant that is a Tory Party donor?

WAO

A consultant that is a Tory Party donor?
I rather hope the OLE contractors do donate to the Tory Party - we might then see some extensions!

That would be better than the RMT's contribution to convincing COP26 of rail's environmental potential.

I have been a Union branch committee member.

WAO

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Pleasantly surprised that piling to guide bridge is happening expected it to be a gap that remained for many years!
I counted about 12 piles on each side today, from Guide Bridge station towards Stalybridge.
But nothing beyond the sidings on each side, or onto the viaduct section beyond.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I counted about 12 piles on each side today, from Guide Bridge station towards Stalybridge.
But nothing beyond the sidings on each side, or onto the viaduct section beyond.
Same, I scanned viaduct in detail too for any sign and saw nothing. Tbh they seem to be have taken the low hanging fruit on the route to Victoria too so it does not suprise me.

Codville

I forgot to post this the other day but on Tameside Council's planning portal there's a planning application from earlier in the year for installation of OLE gantries on Park Parade Viaduct. 21/00015/LBC

WAO

Looking at the date of the Planning Application (Jan/21), it's evident that much has been decided but not publicised and that a significant fully planned wiring scheme is proceeding largely unannounced. We'll only know when it's all up.

I suppose such silence saves on PR/press officers!

WAO

Established Member
Plenty of bases completed between Baguley Fold signal box and Ashton Moss.

Looks like work has started on the footbridge east of Clayton Bridge level crossing too.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Looking at the date of the Planning Application (Jan/21), it's evident that much has been decided but not publicised and that a significant fully planned wiring scheme is proceeding largely unannounced. We'll only know when it's all up.

I suppose such silence saves on PR/press officers!

WAO

I think this particular scheme seems to be being purposely slipped in under the radar. I wonder if it is to keep teams going, but, actually TRU hasn't yet decided what Stalybridge will look like therefore they don't want to announce electrification to Stalybridge just yet.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I think this particular scheme seems to be being purposely slipped in under the radar. I wonder if it is to keep teams going, but, actually TRU hasn't yet decided what Stalybridge will look like therefore they don't want to announce electrification to Stalybridge just yet.
The lecture linked further up thread mentioned a compromise and that there wouldn’t be any grade separation to save circa £100m. Presumably this implies that there will be a flat junction with a mandatory performance allowance in the timetable. What the track layout & linespeed(s) will be exactly could still be undecided.

Continuing on from this, does anyone know what sort of rail cants & cant deficiencies will be used on TRU? I seem to remember that on the realigned Miles Platting curve the cant / cant deficiency was taken to the very limit of what was possible.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I forgot to post this the other day but on Tameside Council's planning portal there's a planning application from earlier in the year for installation of OLE gantries on Park Parade Viaduct. 21/00015/LBC
One of the nuggets in there is that the bridge is in "fair to poor condition", and is only suitable for RA3 traffic rather than the desired RA8.
I'm surprised this does not trigger a replacement of the bridge (perhaps like the ones recently very efficiently done at Warrington Central).
It seems a lot more attention is being paid to the architectural features of the bridge rather than its carrying capacity.

Park Parade is a long curving viaduct, and would be a major undertaking to replace it - far more complex than Warrington Central. Some of the over-road sections were replaced with concrete beams in the late 1980s in preparation for the diversion of TPE services into Piccadilly. The bridge over the Peak Forest Canal was also rebuilt - the original cast iron beams are purely ornamental with concrete ones behind them. It is a pity that there are few traces left of the newer (well 1893) parallel LNW 'Hooley Hill' line, for it had a much better alignment. The viaduct, road bridges, canal and river bridge have all gone, and there are industrial units on much of the remaining course.

td97

Established Member
Continuing on from this, does anyone know what sort of rail cants & cant deficiencies will be used on TRU?
You're referring to "exceptional" design values. Yes they will be used in various locations with certain stipulations (full track renewals, managed track position post-works)
Up to 180mm cant/150mm deficiency is permitted.

billh

Part of Park Parade viaduct fell down during its construction. I don't think there's been serious problems since then. Sometimes the Liverpool - Drax biomass trains are diverted over it at 2000+ tonnes,they seem to manage ok, are they not rated > RA3? Is it a ploy to extract money , to improve RA not from NWR coffers?

59CosG95

Established Member
Forgot to mention, but the bridge at Ulleskelf station has now been 'fitted' with glass-fibre arms for the Leeds lines & Dn Normanton.
(Pic from LinkedIn)

Note that the boom at NOC/12/02 has yet to be affixed.

NR's website now has two more proposed Level Crossing closures under the TransPennine Upgrade header:
The line through all 3 LCs is 90mph, so it's clear to me that there are plans to increase to 100mph or above.

Further north, on the ECML at Chaloners Whin, the first TTC to replace failing headspan E/299/20 has gone in; as it's on the Down side, tradition would dictate that this is most likely numbered E/299/19A, with its yet-to-be-erected comrade on the Up side numbered E/299/19B.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211103-213736_LinkedIn.jpg
    Screenshot_20211103-213736_LinkedIn.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:

323 Class