• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Student Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Basically just gives you some extra discount on advance fares (route TPE only), when you have a 16-25 railcard and buy through the specific url on the TPE website. It's basically the equivalent of the former 'Student Getaway' ticket. There are some good deals to be had though, I only paid about £2.50 single from Hull-Huddersfield.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ta Craig, that will actually come in handy for a couple of bashes I have planned.

EDIT: Already making use of it, booked two singles from Manchester Piccadilly to Blackpool North on the 18th for an overnight filler. The fact I've got to fester for 2.5 hours in Blackpool in the early hours is going to annoy me, but what can you do? £4 for the return ticket is not bad at all!

Also got one for £5.70 from Carlisle to Manchester Piccadilly on the 1715 off Carlisle on the 18th (going on the Voyager from Preston to Carlisle in the morning for £4.30).

I'm only saving £3.70, but that's £3.70 towards a Burger King meal :D

Last edited:

djw1981

Established Member
I am amazed that there is only a 2.5hr gap between last arrival and first departure from Blackpool N. Is it same driver diagram, or is Blackpool a Driver base?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Been around as long as TPE this one I think.
They've been around donkeys years, yeah. The fares used to be called 'StudentGetaway' but the name and general availability had to be abolished due to simplification. They were the first AP tickets TPE did. Priced at 50% of the price of the normal Cheap Day return, and were effectively usable on any train, some small print said booked train only but no-one took any notice.

Then TPE started withdrawing longer distance CDRs (e.g. York - Manchester) and introduced advance purchase in their place, and then the StudentGetaway was 50% off the AP price (making them even cheaper). But simplification didn't allow them to give a greater discount to YP holders or the special name so now if you book a 'regular' TPE advance fare with a YP it's only 34% off. However they are allowed to run "promotions", but only from their website. So you have to click this link now on their website to get the discount.

But it's certainly worth pointing out as some people may have thought TPE had abolished it with simplification if they hadn't been checking the TPE site.

Status
Not open for further replies.