• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport Fever 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerroar

On Moderation
https://www.transportfever2.com/gameplay-video-and-pre-order/
Today we released a video which demonstrates gameplay of Transport Fever 2 for the very first time.

On a tropical island map we give an introduction to the game.

It is now possible to pre-order Transport Fever 2 on Steam and other platforms with 10% discount. Owners of the predecessor Transport Fever can buy the game even with 25% discount, thanks to a loyalty discount.
I'm loving the look of this game but can't seem to find a hard copy of it, it only seems to be available to download via Steam. Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
https://www.transportfever2.com/gameplay-video-and-pre-order/

I'm loving the look of this game but can't seem to find a hard copy of it, it only seems to be available to download via Steam. Am I missing something?

Developers/publishers are increasingly moving away from physical media, it's an unnecessary cost to them. Even if Transport Fever 2 was released on PC/DVD, it's 99.9% likely that it would be tied to Steam anyway.

Even if you buy what you believe to be a physical copy of some titles these days, quite often it's just a DVD case with no disc inside and a code to redeem on Steam.

Gostav

I believe Transport Fever series is the best railway (with other transport systems) operating PC game in these years. Other PC games (e.g Railway Empire) only have a simple railway system, although the signalling in Transport Fever is very basic, only two aspect stop signals (i.e red & green) are used.

Mainline421

JohnMcL7

Has anyone been playing this? I quite fancy a rail management game and this does look good although it's hard to tell from watching videos of it being played if it's actually fun or gets a bit too complicated.

TheEdge

Established Member
Has anyone been playing this? I quite fancy a rail management game and this does look good although it's hard to tell from watching videos of it being played if it's actually fun or gets a bit too complicated.

I play it. Its a fun game, but do remember its not at heart a train sim. Its a transport manager.

Peter Kelford

Transport Fever 1 was a little simplistic on the management side but quite nice overall. From what I understand TF2 is a little more complex and requires things like maintenance to be managed. You also build a HQ in a certain town, although I can't be sure what that entails. Overall, I would say that TF2 seems like a good rail management game. If it's too complex, there are plenty of script mods out there that can negate or reduce the need to do some things.

Bigchris

I've played both TF1 & TF2 for considerable time. There are a few new aspects to TF2 but it didn't blow me away as a ground-breaking update to TF2. The mods you can download from the Steam Workshop certainly make the game more enjoyable both physically and visually although the big warning I'd give you for TF2 is to make sure you have a high spec system. I have a HP Omen laptop that was the best spec available when I bought it 2 years ago and once my cities on TF2 start growing the game slows down and stutters considerably to the point you can't play past about 1940 even on a small map. I you've got a high-spec PC though don't let this put you off as it could be a great game, I know I literally lost weeks of my life playing TF1!

JohnMcL7

I play it. Its a fun game, but do remember its not at heart a train sim. Its a transport manager.

I do realise it's not just trains but I don't think there's anything similar that's train only?

My systems are both fairly high spec so should manage the game ok.

Jozhua

Established Member
Oh thanks. No mac nonetheless

Could try bootcamp to get windows on your Mac? Games tend to run a tad faster on Windows anyway.

I enjoy it! It's fairly simple to get started, you just have to make sure to connect the stations up with buses/trams around the city to give them better coverage.

I do realise it's not just trains but I don't think there's anything similar that's train only?

My systems are both fairly high spec so should manage the game ok.

I don't think I've seen anything that's train only! I mean you will have to do a bit of buses/trams to connect your lines, but you don't have to bother with planes or boats if you don't want to!

I run a Quad-Core 2.5ghz i5, 16GB Ram, GTX 1050ti and it runs fine!

Jozhua

Established Member
Oh and there's also fantastic mods for TF2.

There's 156's, 158's, 802's, 68's, Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 coaching stock, Mk2 DVTs and mods from around the world!

Then people create maps of different areas, although quite a few are over the size the game supports and tend to have poor performance!

I created a large map of the Ontario golden horseshoe, not too difficult to do, did it in about 45mins with a height map.

JohnMcL7

I don't think I've seen anything that's train only! I mean you will have to do a bit of buses/trams to connect your lines, but you don't have to bother with planes or boats if you don't want to!

I run a Quad-Core 2.5ghz i5, 16GB Ram, GTX 1050ti and it runs fine!

Trainz was the one I had in mind where I seem to remember you had to manage trains to move the resources around.

The mods to add british rolling stock sound great and definitely something I'd like to have.

D365

Veteran Member
Haven't played (or purchased) TpF2 yet, but I've put nearly 350 hours into its predecessor Train Fever, which is purely trains, trams, buses and trucks.

I definitely want to get into TpF2 once I have my Ryzen PC up and running. The main thing I'm worried about is the complexity of all the new transport modes, as I want to focus first on completing all the Steam achievements again.

Peter Kelford

I definitely want to get into TpF2 once I have my Ryzen PC up and running. The main thing I'm worried about is the complexity of all the new transport modes, as I want to focus first on completing all the Steam achievements again.
I understand that the new modes are air and water and additional complexity with the land transports.

Gostav

In this locking time, l spend time to build a complex railway network in the game and found still have some problems that prevent this game getting better: No distant signal, there is stop signal only; in the same route the behind train will catch up the ahead train; some bug in the game such as house was built on road.

Bigchris

Along with the multi-level underground stations which were extremely useful for putting directly under a city centre

D365

Veteran Member
Along with the multi-level underground stations which were extremely useful for putting directly under a city centre
The mod was released by the developers. It appeared in the release trailer as well.

Are mods in TpF treated the same as in Train Fever?

Train Fever (on which I spent 330 hours to complete the Steam achievements) does not allow you to collect the achievements unless the game is played 100% vanilla, i.e. zero mods enabled.

malc-c

I much preferred the mechanics of TF1 - where each town needed the same things, fuel, food, materials etc. Made for more realistic world and you could have huge distribution centres. Towns were more realistically populated. In TF2 a huge town only has a few hundred population. This was done to try and make TF2 less resource hungry, but even now, on a large TF2 map it soon reaches a point where the sim can't update all the cars etc and it stutters, even on a top end gaming rig. But I do like the graphics in TF2... If the developers could have simply applied the new graphics to TF1 and added the new roundabouts and traffic lights / one way streets etc without impacting performance they would have been on to a real winner. I've not played TF2 as much as I played TF1 when it was first released.

Jozhua

Established Member
In this locking time, l spend time to build a complex railway network in the game and found still have some problems that prevent this game getting better: No distant signal, there is stop signal only; in the same route the behind train will catch up the ahead train; some bug in the game such as house was built on road.
My solution is to just place a boatload of signals on the track!

It can be annoying when you have a faster train stuck behind a slower one when it either accelerates or brakes instead of staying at a constant speed. This ends up with it breaking fully at a set of signals and taking forever to get up to speed again.
I much preferred the mechanics of TF1 - where each town needed the same things, fuel, food, materials etc. Made for more realistic world and you could have huge distribution centres. Towns were more realistically populated. In TF2 a huge town only has a few hundred population. This was done to try and make TF2 less resource hungry, but even now, on a large TF2 map it soon reaches a point where the sim can't update all the cars etc and it stutters, even on a top end gaming rig. But I do like the graphics in TF2... If the developers could have simply applied the new graphics to TF1 and added the new roundabouts and traffic lights / one way streets etc without impacting performance they would have been on to a real winner. I've not played TF2 as much as I played TF1 when it was first released.
I wonder how much the graphics effects the overall sim count/lag issue. I have a feeling the sim count is a CPU related issue, whereas graphics will be likely all GPU (although the CPU is relied upon to a certain degree to send commands to the GPU)

There is this internal battle I can see from the original Train Fever to Transport Fever 2 of balancing realism with balanced gameplay. You see, smaller maps allow you to play for longer before running into sim count issues, but then many of the trains and vehicles cannot be used to their full potential. Aircraft are a feature that you can about make profitable on an elongated map, provided you're not already providing service there. A standard sized 1:1 map probably won't allow for much 186mph train running, especially the slow accelerating Avalia Liberty model!

Then lots of the train models provided aren't profitable unless running long distance Express routes due to the cost balancing, and in late game it becomes difficult to run little shuttle routes at all!

That said, no game even attempts it like the TF series of games, and I can spend hundreds of hours fiddling with layouts and throwing in my favourite mods of more real life trains!

Status
Not open for further replies.