Transport for the North Strategic Transport Plan

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by plcd1, 16 Jan 2018.

1. Olaf

Olaf Established Member

There is a lot more to it than a five minute presentation - the points he raised are clearly addressed in the materials. Someone with his experience should also know better how to behave in public - he is still behaving like he was a CBB contestant.

2. frodshamfella

frodshamfella Member

Frodsham and Stockton Heath are about 15 mins apart max. I live between the two in a village, Runcorn is still the easiest station for me to use for a London train. I use Acton Bridge also which is v close for Birmingham and Liverpool and Frodsham or Cuddington for Chester.

3. stephen rp

stephen rp Member

And blight thousands of homes unnecessarily?

4. Allwinter_Kit

Allwinter_Kit Member

It is interesting. I live right out towards the end of the Airedale commuter zone but whilst I go to Leeds daily I have only been to Bradford a handful of times in the last few years - and then usually for an explicit work-related purpose! (Honorable exception for a trip to Sunbridge Wells when it opened).

Bradford MDC might collect my bins, but really I look to Leeds (as the nearby city) and Skipton and Ilkley as my local towns.

But then, equally, I work 3 days a week in Manchester and 2 in Leeds, so for 5 days a week my fastest commute is via Leeds - if Bradford were to have more than its current 'awkward 2 station and a wander across town for a slow service' provision I might go through it more - and thence would think of it more naturally as my local hub...

5. Roose

Roose Member

He had no intention of doing so, having tipped off tv camera operators beforehand that he would harrumph and leave. Everything he then said about TfN in interviews was known before the event.

6. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

Yesterday I chose to travel back from Manchester via Bradford instead of via Leeds (thereby yellow-penning the Ordsall Chord and the line up through Rochdale). Due to a late arrival into Interchange I then had a +13 to get to FS; somewhat out of breath, I made it with 3 minutes to spare, but it is hardly an ideal way to organise a journey - I'll be travelling via Leeds again next time.

7. Jorge Da Silva

Jorge Da Silva Member

According to my RAIL magazine (the latest issue: issue 872 page 7)
    The following projects have been proposed in the transport plan:

8. Mogster

Mogster Member

Is the reopening of the Skemersdale branch ever going to happen? It seems to have been talked about for years...

Iirc the original rail route to the town center is pretty much available as is the land the station used to stand on. The college that stands on it has been closed for a couple of years, you’d have to knock that down. Plenty of room for park and ride though.

9. Killingworth

Killingworth Member

The list of schemes is much greater than could be realistically expected to be delivered. By including so many it's clear that many will have to be pruned out to achieve those with highest priority. If money is available some projects will move up the list, and government isn't the only source.

Take the desired 40 minutes between Sheffield a Manchester. It doesn't take much examination to realise it can't be done down the Hope Valley. Maybe 45. A reopened Woodhead would be enormously expensive and might struggle to deliver 40 minutes.

If money is no object, and it most certainly is, you could deliver Manchester - Sheffield non-stop in possibly 25 minutes or less by tunnelling straight through on the level, about 32 miles. OK, the Japanese, Swiss or Scandinavians have done such projects, but it could never happen here.

10. Meerkat

Meerkat Member

Skelmersdale presumably waiting for whether the battery versions of the new trains work?
    Not allowed to extend the third rail are they?

11. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

If most of the money needs to come from Whitehall, I am the only one who suspects that most of it will get spent on new roads - maybe including a road tunnel near Woodhead?

12. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

There is no "original route to the town centre", it went to Blaguegate (Old Skem). Any reopening will be basically a complete new build.

13. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The mention made in the "wish list" of the Northwich to Sandbach line will hearten those forum members who have contributed many postings of support for it in the very long running website thread about that particular railway line.

14. Killingworth

Killingworth Member

Being a rail Forum there's sometimes a tendency to overlook the very much greater volume of freight and passenger traffic carried by road. The last 100 years has seen a gradual shift as housing and industry has moved away from rail served locations and dispersed around the land. To frustrate any major return to rail much railway land has been sold off and developed making even minor improvements incredibly expensive.

The flexibility of road transport will demand greater investment there. However the logical step of connecting the M1 to Manchester by an all weather tunnelled route nearer Sheffield is going to be very - challenging! The pros and cons of that need a thread of their own.

15. DH1Commuter

DH1Commuter Member

I note the complete absence of any mentions of the north-east for potential rail enhancements - very disappointing, given that Washington remains off the rail map (heavy and light), and the main roads into Tyneside and Wearside congested, but not a huge surprise. IF reducing transport times and improving air quality were considered important, expanding the electrified Metro system to Washington (+ Belmont/Durham for parkway station) on the existing alignment would be a no-brainer and would potentially take a lot of vehicles off the A1; better to use the Leamside line for something than wait another 20 years whilst people argue for the 'perfect' heavy rail/freight/light rail/diversion solution.

16. Mogster

Mogster Member

Thanks. I wasn’t sure were the old rail line went. There are statements on the net saying it’s available but they must be cobblers.

17. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The M62 motorway is a major road that already links the western regions to the eastern regions of the northern areas in which major cities are so situate and there are connections from the M62 to many major roads in the said region.

18. Killingworth

Killingworth Member

Like I said this road related subject requires a separate thread. The M62 becomes very congested at the best of times but can be a nightmare in bad weather. A relief route to the south would be used, but we get back to the business case issue.