• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.

158srule

The bodyshells are very similar to class 150s so clearing them for the other routes could be quite easy. I think it was only ever planned for seven of the nine units to be diagrammed. That could be achieved if they can run the Cardiff Bay to Caerphilly shuttle.
Clearing them elswhere on the valleys is a big challenge. Lots of works required. They might look like a 150 but they’ve got yaw dampers and are significantly heavier. Even Cardiff Bay is challenging!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
Just thinking it through; I don't think Rhymney depot is large enough to staff all the Rhymney valley services by itself - so if they do want to run 6 diagrams all day they may well need to expand the training to other depots. I could be wrong though, just a hunch.
I was thinking the same thing. Back in the days of loco hauled stock (the first time), Rhymney had eight turns on weekdays. I think it was four early starts, two middle turns and two late shifts. I expect it is similar now. Currently they sign the whole Valleys network apart from Barry to Bridgend. If they are concentrated solely on the Rhymney line then they might lose the route knowledge on the other routes.

craigybagel

Established Member
I was thinking the same thing. Back in the days of loco hauled stock (the first time), Rhymney had eight turns on weekdays. I think it was four early starts, two middle turns and two late shifts. I expect it is similar now. Currently they sign the whole Valleys network apart from Barry to Bridgend. If they are concentrated solely on the Rhymney line then they might lose the route knowledge on the other routes.
I've just had a look, and it's pretty much the same today. 8 jobs, 4 early and 4 middle/lates. Can't say how that compares to the timetable outside of Covid.

Today, Rhymney are working just under half of the Rhymney - Cardiff services, with Cardiff working most of the rest, and one trip worked by Treherbert.

sftfan1909

Is anyone able to confirm whether these have been working this week or if there have been any changes to diagram? Thank you :)

craigybagel

Established Member
Is anyone able to confirm whether these have been working this week or if there have been any changes to diagram? Thank you :)
The 0714 off Rhymney today was 2 X 150, but the rest of the diagram starting with the 0936 off Cardiff is 769003. 769006 is on testing/training runs.

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
The 0714 off Rhymney today was 2 X 150, but the rest of the diagram starting with the 0936 off Cardiff is 769003. 769006 is on testing/training runs.

Which tuned into the 0817 to Pontypridd when it got into Cardiff Central. Not sure if this was planned.

The original service formed of 143x150 terminated in 7 at Central.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Does anyone know what diagrams 769s will be working next week as the new timetable comes in?

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I thought this thread would be full of posts this morning. There are no 769s out, the Rhymney/Bargoed to Penarths mixtures of 14x, 150s and 153s.

Senna1210

452 is awaiting a water ingress issue repair, that will be the first 4 out

Both 002 and 008 have electrical gremlins 455 is on depot for exam work

Jamesrob637

Established Member
In some parts of the land, we must be already halfway between when these were supposed to enter service and when new/other cascaded stock was supposed to replace them. I'm sure Northern's were only meant to go until 2022 or 2023.

Cardiff123

Established Member
In some parts of the land, we must be already halfway between when these were supposed to enter service and when new/other cascaded stock was supposed to replace them. I'm sure Northern's were only meant to go until 2022 or 2023.
You might be thinking of TfW's, that's when their 769s are due to leave, pending the completion of the Core Valley lines upgrades and the new Stadler tri-mode trains entering service

Jamesrob637

Established Member
You might be thinking of TfW's, that's when their 769s are due to leave, pending the completion of the Core Valley lines upgrades and the new Stadler tri-mode trains entering service

If that's the case then I'm fully on topic rather than half off-topic! :D

Every chance there will some delays to any new stock to replace the 769s too. That's only going off most new fleet introductions in recent years. So if they manage 4 or 5 years on the Valleys commencing this autumn then it wouldn't be a great shock. They are more suited to runs that have chunks (the bigger, the better) running off the overheads, but this batch won't even get to do that for a few yards in Cardiff Station and staff won't be trained on using that equipment anyway.

Bob Price

Longer term the WG have ambitious to open more stations between Cardiff and Severn Tunnel Junction and run more services between Cardiff and Bristol. These would be suitable for that with mainly OLE running and a bit of diesel infill. Anyway that is off topic. Apologies.

Cardiff123

Established Member
For anyone in the know, is 769 driver/guard training likely to stop again during Wales' new full lockdown from 28th Dec, or will it continue this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.