• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

As reported elsewhere driver training has now started on these. Any guesses on when the remaining seven units will be delivered, I'm guessing there'll need to be quite a bit of internal referb done to each of them which won't be quick.

And on a separate no having been on packed Class 37 to Rhymney last week, any idea what the total seating and standing capacity of these is?

Cardiff123

Established Member
As reported elsewhere driver training has now started on these. Any guesses on when the remaining seven units will be delivered, I'm guessing there'll need to be quite a bit of internal referb done to each of them which won't be quick.

And on a separate no having been on packed Class 37 to Rhymney last week, any idea what the total seating and standing capacity of these is?
Static driver training though, 769s still haven't left Canton depot on diesel under their own power have they?

sd0733

Established Member
Passing Canton yesterday where 769008 (3 coaches) and 769002 (full unit) were visible. 769002 has some big straps over the Pantograph right down the body side securing it down while 008 has had it removed completely.
008 also looks like its had all its seat cushions removed but the seats are still there.

krus_aragon

Established Member

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Either they're confident, or no revised schedule has been given to the Twitter staff.

I think TFW are quite aware of what is going on and what they are saying in relation to timescales could well be correct. What discussion that takes place behind the scenes between the ROSCO and the TOC is not in the public domain so there is a lot that we on the outside don't know. Time will tell.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Either they're confident, or no revised schedule has been given to the Twitter staff.
I expect the latter. As far as I know, no mainline testing has taken place yet, so dynamic training couldn't take place until that has started and then successfully concluded. Two months doesn't seem reasonable given the almost three years it's taken to get this far.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Picture appeared on my Twitter feed today of one of the Northern ones under test. Obviously things are moving with the project and lessons learned may be transferred to Wales
https://twitter.com/Auriga_ZA/status/1169036352949772290?s=09

Had to be rescued according to this thread:-

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...m-319s-initially-for-northern.138660/page-130

I have given up reading it due to the thread becoming loaded with technical jargon which I admit to being unable to understand.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I realise it's basically pure chance and anything can happen at the "early" stages of testing, but it seems only fitting that this is the first class I've seen for a while where one of the first observed test runs on the mainline ended in failure and the unit having to be rescued. The cause may be totally unrelated to the reasons for the huge delay to the 769s' introduction into service, but it does seem rather symbolic doesn't it...

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Picture appeared on my Twitter feed today of one of the Northern ones under test. Obviously things are moving with the project and lessons learned may be transferred to Wales
https://twitter.com/Auriga_ZA/status/1169036352949772290?s=09
Wow, a 769 moves on Network Rail metals! Hope it won't be long before the Welsh ones get going or road buses might end up replacing rail buses if the government doesn't grant a temporary PRM exemption for the Pacers.

Chris217

Seen both TfW 769s today at the rear of the front shed at Cardiff Canton.
Noticed 2 cars in TfW livery which looked like was being shunted by an 08 !

anamyd

On Moderation
Seen both TfW 769s today at the rear of the front shed at Cardiff Canton.
Noticed 2 cars in TfW livery which looked like was being shunted by an 08 !
Half a 769 being shunted by an 08...?

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
This morning, both ends of 008 together and painted.

The middle cars the other side of the shed, both painted up.

002 is still in one piece, unpainted and with the pantograph secured down with green rope/cabling.

anamyd

On Moderation
This morning, both ends of 008 together and painted.

The middle cars the other side of the shed, both painted up.

002 is still in one piece, unpainted and with the pantograph secured down with green rope/cabling.
thanks for that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.