• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Price

There was a run cancelled today from Loughborough Brush to Allerton, assuming a delivery to Northern. It was cancelled but I wonder if their units are nearly complete and the TfW ones will start to arrive. Logical therefore that they do a few proving runs to make sure they work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
Unfortunately, TfW have kept the original 769 seating layout and have just re-upholstered the seats. I can't see this seating layout working very well in a social distancing world........it would have to be 1 or 2 people to a bay of 6 (sitting on separate rows on the inner and outer seat), and 1 person to a bay of 4TfW 769 interior.jpg

JN114

Established Member
Unfortunately, TfW have kept the original 769 seating layout and have just re-upholstered the seats. I can't see this seating layout working very well in a social distancing world........it would have to be 1 or 2 people to a bay of 6 (sitting on separate rows on the inner and outer seat), and 1 person to a bay of 4View attachment 77269

In all fairness, the seating layout will have been settled on long before the current crisis

Cardiff123

Established Member
In all fairness, the seating layout will have been settled on long before the current crisis
I know, that's why I said 'unfortunately', but it must be the most un-conducive to social distancing seating layout possible. But it's probably best we don't bring social distancing talk into this thread, I suspect these posts will be moved into the Covid-19 section anyway.

JN114

Established Member
Looks to have been a reporting error - can’t see any evidence of anything having run, or any disruption to indicate it had failed.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
And why does it need this on a commuter train...?
My thoughts too.
AIUI the 769s are a fairly short term stop gap on the Cardiff valley lines between the four wheel jobbies and the new order Flirts and Civities.
I guess the poster expects to log on with their mobile for the short hop into Cardiff every morning.

Paul Dancey

I believe most if not all of the Transport for Wales fleet have Wifi, including the Pacers currently used on this route. I guess it all depends on what you call a short hop, Rhymney to Cardiff is around an hour and end to end on the line it's around an hour and a half. Even on my short hop from Penarth I've even been known to log on.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I must say I don’t understand the need for wi-fi on trains anymore . Sim only data contracts are relatively cheap for a good chunk of data, so I would have thought most people have them anyway these days. And if people don’t value data enough to pay a tenner a month why should the railway (= other passengers) pay for all the infrastructure to support it?

I’m equally dubious about the need for USB ports on commuter trains, but accept that is probably too well entrenched now to roll back from.

Status
Not open for further replies.