• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anonymous10

Established Member
It's hard to test and train drivers when u need to stay two meters apart and with the lack of demand and service it may be easier to keep them parked up for now

Cardiff123

Established Member
It's hard to test and train drivers when u need to stay two meters apart and with the lack of demand and service it may be easier to keep them parked up for now
Depends how long Pacers can reliably carry on for though. Unless more spare 142s from Northern can be taken on as spares/parts donors, the supply of spares & parts for Pacers will run out eventually

Anonymous10

Established Member
Depends how long Pacers can reliably carry on for though. Unless more spare 142s from Northern can be taken on as spares/parts donors, the supply of spares & parts for Pacers will run out eventually
That's agreed but if all stock being used less then they will have longer and if they can't train crew then they can't use the train end of

Envoy

Established Member
It won't look good if demand suddenly picks up and 4 coach valleys stock are parked up at Canton and people are rammed onto 2 coach sprinters/pacers heading for the coast. That will be a greater health risk to more people - including the staff.

craigybagel

Established Member
As mentioned on other threads, they're is currently a trial taking place with 3 TOCs looking at getting on train training restarted. If that has a positive outcome, hopefully then we'll see the 769s put to good use. It's too early to worry about unit availability just yet and from what I've seen anyway, there's still plenty of spare capacity available onboard at present.

AM9

Veteran Member
it's worth remembering, that the Electrostars were built at turn of the century, not this day and age, and they would have had 5-10 years development beforehand, and they would need to design things in the most reliable way when it comes to product selection circa 1993/5. Also, by and large unit suspension is rubber chevrons(primary) and the air bag type(secondary), and if there isn't the weight on the coach to counteract gravity and absorb any resonance you will start having issues with the coach leaving it's kinetic envelope, and that you can only solve with additional weight. something which I believe siemens dealt with by more evenly distributing equipment along the train, whereas Bombardier kept their modular design which had the bonus of ease of reformation in future and conversion to AC. Swings and roundabouts at the end of the day, and whilst it probably would be quite possible for the 769 vehicle profile to be put into modern computer modelling to look at removing the redundant AC equipment to save weight, I doubt the ROSCO would have any inclination to do so as it would limit the future use of the units should there be difficulty to re-instate all the AC equipment (take for example the removal of the DC equipment from the 365's leaving them as AC only units now due to loss of knowledge/equipment)
It's worth pointing out that removing the ac equipment from the 769s would reduce their adhesive weight, - probably reducing their perfomance more than adding gensets and fueltanks over the un-driven axles.

Last edited:

Bob Price

Another one is in the process of being delivered. I just saw it in the A48 at Llanederyn. On its way to Canton by road

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Another one is in the process of being delivered. I just saw it in the A48 at Llanederyn. On its way to Canton by road
Unbelieveable. Diesel trains could easily be pathed through considerably less congested routes due to covid service reductions.
There has to be something radically wrong with the class 769 "paperwork", or Porterbrook and Wabtec have shares in heavy haulage.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
37800 and 37884 have run from Leicester to Canton today to move the newly assembled (believed to be 007) across the road from the Brickworks Siding (road access site) to Pullmans

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Unbelieveable. Diesel trains could easily be pathed through considerably less congested routes due to covid service reductions.
There has to be something radically wrong with the class 769 "paperwork", or Porterbrook and Wabtec have shares in heavy haulage.

Which routes do you suggest then and would the routes be cleared for their transit ?

Bob Price

37800 and 37884 have run from Leicester to Canton today to move the newly assembled (believed to be 007) across the road from the Brickworks Siding (road access site) to Pullmans
Is that all of the first group delivered now?;

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Which routes do you suggest then and would the routes be cleared for their transit ?
The same route the first few examples were delivered along. We have been told they are effectively a diesel electric 4 car class 150, so If they can be diesel hauled on their own wheels it wouldnt be a huge stretch of the imagination for them to "self power" using their own diesels surely ? I notice the TfW 769s don't have pantographs, so no loading gauge issues there.

Roast Veg

Established Member
The same route the first few examples were delivered along. We have been told they are effectively a diesel electric 4 car class 150, so If they can be diesel hauled on their own wheels it wouldnt be a huge stretch of the imagination for them to "self power" using their own diesels surely ? I notice the TfW 769s don't have pantographs, so no loading gauge issues there.
But if you can't train staff who sign the route to drive them, and can't sign drivers off on the route who can drive them, what do you suggest?

Bob Price

Looking at RTT it looks as if something used the morning and afternoon paths today. Anyone know anything?

JN114

Established Member
Whatever it was it’s not shown consisted in TOPS, nor reporting anywhere between Cardiff or Rhymney.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Looking at RTT it looks as if something used the morning and afternoon paths today. Anyone know anything?

What I know is that the system has wrongly reported the times for something else at Cardiff Central. There are no times shown in RTT at any other points

Last edited:

Senna1210

No runs today nor anyrtime soon due to covid and the union i believe they have to be brought down by road now the network rail measurement train has picked up a foul on the route down so untill that is investigated road is the only option

Cardiff123

Established Member
I give it May 2021 TT change before we see these in passenger service. TfW will be lucky to get 2 full years worth of service out of the 769s.

Bob Price

No runs today nor anyrtime soon due to covid and the union i believe they have to be brought down by road now the network rail measurement train has picked up a foul on the route down so untill that is investigated road is the only option
That explains the road transfer. All a bit of a farce. It's quite a while since I filmed the first one arriving.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
But if you can't train staff who sign the route to drive them, and can't sign drivers off on the route who can drive them, what do you suggest?
AIUI ROG is the contractor for getting the 769s certified to run on NR, and I believe it was ROG who were working the Crewe-Carnforth runs to get the Northern units ready to hand over to Northern. Therefore, as ROG are delivering the TfW units to Canton (apart from those on low loaders) perhaps the ROG drivers working on the 37s and 47s hauling the 769s are also actually trained on 769s ?

Bob Price

Notice with the timetable changes today the testing paths have been taken out. Logical if there is no testing.

Cardiff123

Established Member
So 769s are being delivered to Canton to sit idle in sidings. Has there been a rolling stock project beset by more problems than the 769s? Ever?
It seems everything is against the 769s ever entering passenger service, whether it's the initial technical & traction problems, or the training and workforce problems now being caused by a global pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.