• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Except built for that from the start rather than having it shoehorned in several decades later once nobody else wants them as pure EMUS.

Certainly built that way if you order one, but I do recall that when the FLIRT came into being it was initially an EMU and the generator module idea came later - the DMU was at the time the GTW (Gelenktriebwagen = articulated multiple unit, no funny name! :) ), an older but similar-looking design. So it's a sort of bolt-on.

tornado

How are the passenger cabin noise levels on the 769s compared to the 150s? I would happily trade a few minutes slower on the timetable for a quieter ride. The "throbbing" of the 150s engine heard from inside is not particuarly pleasent.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How are the passenger cabin noise levels on the 769s compared to the 150s? I would happily trade a few minutes slower on the timetable for a quieter ride. The "throbbing" of the 150s engine heard from inside is not particuarly pleasent.

The engines are only under the driving coaches, so if you want to avoid the racket sit in one of the other two. Sit in the pantograph coach if you enjoy the calming hum from that (I find that hum resonates nicely with the motors and is a very relaxing sound), or if you prefer track noise and otherwise silence the other one.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The engines are only under the driving coaches, so if you want to avoid the racket sit in one of the other two. Sit in the pantograph coach if you enjoy the calming hum from that (I find that hum resonates nicely with the motors and is a very relaxing sound), or if you prefer track noise and otherwise silence the other one.
I don't think you'll be getting the transformer hum when on diesel power!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You still get the 'buzz'/hum from the rest of the traction equipment, as would have been the case on third rail

Yeah, the sound I'm talking about is from some other element of the electronics, not from the transformer (which is a fairly coarse buzz). You still get it when on third rail (and on the 769s). It sounds to me like a violin playing, it's just a really nice, relaxing sound. You only seem to get it on 319s, not on e.g. 321s.

On this YouTube video:

...you hear the low transformer buzz first (not present on diesel or third rail) but then the other sound I'm talking about starts shortly after.

You can also hear it on this video which is taken in the transformer car of a 769:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Yeah, the sound I'm talking about is from some other element of the electronics, not from the transformer (which is a fairly coarse buzz). You still get it when on third rail (and on the 769s). It sounds to me like a violin playing, it's just a really nice, relaxing sound. You only seem to get it on 319s, not on e.g. 321s.
I assume you mean the 300Hz PWM drive controlling the motors. PWM isn't used on 321s as they're thyristor driven since they're already fed from an AC source.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Yeah you'll still get that. It is undeniably a less irritating noise than more modern higher frequency drive systems. The LU 92 stock is similar, but at about 340Hz.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
TrainFX configuration (or lack thereof) at its finest :P

Don't blame the system if nobody's bothered to configure it!

To be fair, whether properly configured or not it's cheap garbage. That said, to fit to a unit like this (or a 230) which only has a limited lifespan it is probably the right choice. If you fit premium kit you'll end up close to the cost of brand new units in the first place.

Bikeman78

Established Member

On this YouTube video:

...you hear the low transformer buzz first (not present on diesel or third rail) but then the other sound I'm talking about starts shortly after.

You can also hear it on this video which is taken in the transformer car of a 769:

That's the chopper control equipment. The Belgian 1975 stock has it too (the four car units with noses).

py_megapixel

Established Member
TrainFX configuration (or lack thereof) at its finest :P

Don't blame the system if nobody's bothered to configure it!
I'm assuming what's happened here is that whoever is responsible for doing the configuration when the system was installed has realised it would be helpful for "Transport for Wales" to be able to appear on the external displays, and therefore programmed it in as a destination code, without realising that this produces nonsense on the internal ones!

However I agree with @Bletchleyite that no matter how it's configured, the hardware itself is rubbish, and the software is at best unreliable.

Optom1

769/4 on the 11.32 Cardiff-Rumney driving training /test train today.The usual Rumney -Penarth 769 had a pair of 150’s

Buzz68

I'm assuming these are 769 training runs today between Rhymney and Ystrad Mynach and reverse in the down loop. 5F01/2/3/4
Screen shot of 5F01 passing 5P01 769003 37 late off Canton 02659953-4F4C-40A6-BE4B-C22B67DB5D0D.jpeg

158srule

769003 limped to ystrad Mynach. 769006 sent to rescue it
769003 returned to Canton under its own power. 769s are not permitted to couple as of yet - it won’t be long but at the moment if one sits down the only method of recovery is using a CL.37 and adapter coupler.

Bob Price

Wondering why they don't put more than one unit out. Is it trained drivers? I would have thought the opportunity to get some 153's and 150's off the Rhymneys would have been beneficial to TfW.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Wondering why they don't put more than one unit out. Is it trained drivers? I would have thought the opportunity to get some 153's and 150's off the Rhymneys would have been beneficial to TfW.

Can't recall where I heard or saw it but there was mention of a second one out from 15th so wait and see. One step at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.