• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport For Wales Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd0733

Established Member
Is it a repaint or vinyl job? As based on pictures I’ve seen it looks to be vinyl on the cab front
The bodysides are vinyled. The ones ive seen dont seem to have the yellow end touched as its still patched up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43102EMR

Established Member
The bodysides are vinyled. The ones ive seen dont seem to have the yellow end touched as its still patched up.
Ah I thought so thanks! Makes sense as they’ll be gone in the next year or so

Rhydgaled

Established Member
No problem. I suspect that the location of the original 153 toilets precludes the easy fitting of retention tanks - hence the PRM toilets being fitted at the opposite end of the unit.
It's probably (although I don't know for sure) more to do with the passenger door at the old bog end is far too narrow for a wheelchair user to use.
Interesting; I thought the ScotRail cycle-stowage 153s were retaining the small toilet - has that been moved to the other end as well? If not, the 'door is too narrow for a wheelchair' explanation is probably the correct one in which case TfW are just cutting costs by not fitting retention tanks to the 153/9s (which I suppose is fair enough if they are only expecting to keep the units for a short time).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Any updates with regards to the 158’s? 838 is back out seen today at chester.

158s are not being re-liveried and are of little concern as they are just going to Doncaster for a C4 Exam which is part of their statutory maintenance and which is virtually a routine event.``

JakeMurphy

158s are not being re-liveried and are of little concern as they are just going to Doncaster for a C4 Exam which is part of their statutory maintenance and which is virtually a routine event.``
Ah no worries cheers for the info bud

sd0733

Established Member
Are all of the TFW 150s receiving internal refurbs or are they just going in for new livery vinyls?
Yes they are getting a refurb (seat covers, internal repaint and new flooring) as part of the same programme of works.

Chriso

Here are some shots I took on Wednesday in Cardiff. They look good

Attachments

• E06EBEFC-19A3-428B-A3B3-F06BACD9CFE2.jpeg
    E06EBEFC-19A3-428B-A3B3-F06BACD9CFE2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 199
  • 60E0BED6-DB07-4087-AC6C-2FDDBE2FA4D9.jpeg
    60E0BED6-DB07-4087-AC6C-2FDDBE2FA4D9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 195

43102EMR

Established Member
Yes they are getting a refurb (seat covers, internal repaint and new flooring) as part of the same programme of works.
Externally they’re being vinyled - it’s been noted earlier in the thread.

sd0733

Established Member
Externally they’re being vinyled - it’s been noted earlier in the thread.
I know, I think I was the one who said it and have never said otherwise.
The post i replied to asked about the interior

ClackityClack

Thanks for the picture, I think they look good.

With the rest of the fleet passenger doors are red and crew white. Any idea why 150 has every door red?

craigybagel

Established Member
I’m not disagreeing with you in principal but if you zoom in they have stuck a sticker on that door saying Private - no passenger access!
True. But the door opening and closing buttons work the same as and other door when there's another unit attached at that end and in practice there's nothing to stop anytime from boarding or alighting there
Has anyone got any info on 158820? Seems to have not been out for a long time!
It's not allocated to anything today anyway. It might be getting work done, or true to that particular units reputation it might need repairs. They don't call it Damien for nothing.....

Caaardiff

True. But the door opening and closing buttons work the same as and other door when there's another unit attached at that end and in practice there's nothing to stop anytime from boarding or alighting there

It's not allocated to anything today anyway. It might be getting work done, or true to that particular units reputation it might need repairs. They don't call it Damien for nothing.....
Think it was involved in a collision and sustained damage some time ago. Hasn't been seen out since.

I’m not disagreeing with you in principal but if you zoom in they have stuck a sticker on that door saying Private - no passenger access!
If the stickers are a new thing it's probably to do with covid, allowing guards and drivers sole use of the door and maintain social distancing.

craigybagel

Established Member
Think it was involved in a collision and sustained damage some time ago. Hasn't been seen out since.
Ah, that might explain it.
If the stickers are a new thing it's probably to do with covid, allowing guards and drivers sole use of the door and maintain social distancing.
It predates that. At least going back as far as the ATW livery there was a staff only sign on the outside of those doors. But like I said earlier, in practice there's nothing to stop people using them.

The door buttons are isolated at the doors behind a cab with a drivers key in, and at a cab that the guards door control panel has been activated in (so most of the time, the doors at the extreme front and the of the time) but if you have a 150 in multiple the cab doors in the middle work the same as every other door.

fgwrich

Established Member
Interesting; I thought the ScotRail cycle-stowage 153s were retaining the small toilet - has that been moved to the other end as well? If not, the 'door is too narrow for a wheelchair' explanation is probably the correct one in which case TfW are just cutting costs by not fitting retention tanks to the 153/9s (which I suppose is fair enough if they are only expecting to keep the units for a short time).
Slightly off topic, but No - the toilet (or whatever is in that space now) is still in the small end, the big end being the end where the cycles are loaded as there is little in that end wall and has been widened to believe to make large item boarding easier.

It does surprise me though that no-one else has taken up the TfW style of PRM compliant 153s though. Something like that would be perfect for the GW Cornish branch lines in the lessor months.

Back to the 150 crew door - the stickers certainly seem to be a Welsh thing, as the GWR liveried examples never had them. Only 001/002 had their doors panted green and a small Private sticker, but they were never in use as passenger doors. The /2 crew doors are silver.

northernbelle

In the West Country, it was Wessex Trains / Valley Lines that first started applying those stickers from 2001 when the units were first refurbished.

When they were refurbished again by First Great Western, the doors did not have 'staff only' on them (although they were finished in the body colour rather than pink), but ATW/TfW appear to have continued the practice all the while.

To be honest, those doors are very narrow and when running as a single unit, having passengers using the rearmost door is a bit of a pain when working the train as they tend to linger in the vestibule in which the door controls are located and the cab doors opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.