• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales smartcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdickinson

Transport for Wales have introduced their smartcard.
We're trialling Smartcards between Wrexham and Shrewsbury and on station between Penarth and Cathays route. Our trial is available for 7-day seasons ticket holders only at the moment, with a view to rolling out other products for Smartcard soon.
Initially it is available for weekly seasons between Wrexham & Shrewsbury and Penarth & Cathays

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tomwills98

Yep, the following lines have weekly and monthly tickets enabled. Annual tickets coming from the end of June and some nice back end stuff later in the year. A few teething problems but I think it's been quite good overall

Milford Haven, Pembroke Dock, and Fishguard through to Cheltenham Spa and Manchester Piccadilly, Birmingham International to Aberystwyth and Holyhead via Wrecsam, all Valley lines including Maesteg, VoG, Ebbw Vale, and City Line, and Wrexham to Bidston.

DingerUK

Thanks both. I’m hoping integration with the website is coming, I’m not a weekly or monthly commuter so just travel on an advance return usually. Being able to purchase online and send to my smartcard, or collect from TVM to my smartcard would be great.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Is this valid on other operator's services?
How integrated will this be with other smartcards?
The last thing we need is another unique TOC-specific smartcard!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
What TOC specific Smartcards are there?

Merseyrail's Metro card (was Walrus), for a start.
All the TOCs will be working on a smartcard solution if they don't exist at the moment.
It would be nice to know that they are part of a national integrated roll-out.
I don't travel that much (not lately anyway), but I often use multiple TOCs in one journey when I do.
Will the smartcards work everywhere that paper tickets do?
Will I be able to load a journey on Avanti on to my TfW smartcard?
Or will it be useless outside Wales like the Welsh Bus Pass?
The TfW web site gives no hints on any of this.

alistairlees

Established Member
Merseyrail's Metro card (was Walrus), for a start.
All the TOCs will be working on a smartcard solution if they don't exist at the moment.
It would be nice to know that they are part of a national integrated roll-out.
I don't travel that much (not lately anyway), but I often use multiple TOCs in one journey when I do.
Will the smartcards work everywhere that paper tickets do?
Will I be able to load a journey on Avanti on to my TfW smartcard?
Or will it be useless outside Wales like the Welsh Bus Pass?
The TfW web site gives no hints on any of this.
There are smartcards that are TOC-branded.
All those that use the Central Back Office, provided by RDG, can have any (smartcard-enabled) ticket added to them, at any retailer that has the capability. The other ones (ScotRail and GTR, from memory) should be fine to do this too.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There are smartcards that are TOC-branded.
All those that use the Central Back Office, provided by RDG, can have any (smartcard-enabled) ticket added to them, at any retailer that has the capability. The other ones (ScotRail and GTR, from memory) should be fine to do this too.

Thanks. That's more promising.
Merseyrail's Metro is a PTE product so I suppose may not follow the RDG rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.