Transport for Wales Trainee Drivers - laser eye surgery?

JimGriff

Good morning all,

I want to make a significant career change in my early forties, and have been very keen on becoming a train driver. I've been stalking job adverts for a while now, but have only just caught on to some TOCs not accepting applicants who have had laser eye surgery. Does anyone know what Transport for Wales's policy is? I saw on another post that Arriva Trains did allow applicants who had had surgery, but I can't find out whether TFW have inherited the policy.

Thanks,

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Good morning all,

I want to make a significant career change in my early forties, and have been very keen on becoming a train driver. I've been stalking job adverts for a while now, but have only just caught on to some TOCs not accepting applicants who have had laser eye surgery. Does anyone know what Transport for Wales's policy is? I saw on another post that Arriva Trains did allow applicants who had had surgery, but I can't find out whether TFW have inherited the policy.

Thanks,

James
If Arriva’s policy allowed laser eye surgery, I’d be surprised if TfW didn’t inherit it, as you say, although without contacting them, it’s anyone’s guess unless there’s a driver or staff member on here who can say definitively? From my relatively limited experience with franchises, the policies etc from the former franchise usually remain unchanged?

Last edited:

Whenever I've transferred between franchises all policies remained the same.

I know LUL used to have a ban on drivers having the surgery but that was many years ago. At the same time, they said if you'd already had it and everything was ok then all is good.

Privateluke

From what I understand, JimGriff is an outsider wanting to get on the footplate, being a trainee Train driver is very competitive business nowadays, an application where someone declared a laser eye Surgery would go straight into the bin... That's all, can't see a TOC going through all the troubles ascertaining whether you are or you are not fit for the job... But that is my opinion based on experience, good luck anyway!!!

Eccles1983

On Moderation
From what I understand, JimGriff is an outsider wanting to get on the footplate, being a trainee Train driver is very competitive business nowadays, an application where someone declared a laser eye Surgery would go straight into the bin... That's all, can't see a TOC going through all the troubles ascertaining whether you are or you are not fit for the job... But that is my opinion based on experience, good luck anyway!!!

State your credentials. As you've just stated it's an opinion based on experience.

As I have came from the "outside" with laser eye surgery and have now been employed as a driver by 2 different TOC's.

But you have stated outright that applications go in the bin.

Stigy

Established Member
None of the applications I’ve submitted has asked about health conditions including eyesight.

Privateluke

Stigy, when I did mine they did, but that was a long time ago, if I remember correctly a medical would cost the TOC anywhere from500 £, but if the TOC you have applied for is happy to pick it up at a later stage so be it. My theory still stands, who do you work for ??

Last edited:

1725RJ

I put a call into TFW when I went though the process last year. They said they accept laser eye surgery. Give them a call jus to confirm nothings changed. Although I guess it may be done on a case by case basis. All the best

BloominMan

I respectfully disagree. Years ago it was a massive nono. Now I know Northern accept it, Merseyrail accept it, I'm pretty sure ATW accept it, GTR and MTR Crossrail.

IIRC there is one member on here driving for MTR after laser and one driving for GTR. Both new applicants after laser.

JimGriff

Many thanks for all your posts; it has been most helpful. I have contacted TFW, but I imagine they're constantly bombarded with emails about driver applications because I understand that the process is very competitive. I'll update here for future reference when (if!) I get a response.

All the best, and stay safe.

JimGriff

I put a call into TFW when I went though the process last year. They said they accept laser eye surgery. Give them a call jus to confirm nothings changed. Although I guess it may be done on a case by case basis. All the best
Thanks for this; it's exactly the information I was looking for. I have dropped TFW a message to ask the question.

markfraser

Good morning all,

Thanks,

James