• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Ghost_rider

I know of someone who’s been rejected, someone’s who’s waiting to hear and another who’s passed the lot and awaiting a medical so I assume it’s all still in the process but as usual, it’s just the lucky few that pass the sift.

Hi, has the person you know who has passed everything, only just heard back and been booked in for their medical? If so, when did they first apply? Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shameless J

There's quite a few of us that applied in Jan 2019, waited a year for a response and only just sat the MMI due to Covid.

MA8141

Hi, has the person you know who has passed everything, only just heard back and been booked in for their medical? If so, when did they first apply? Cheers!
They applied on a previous campaign but just been informed they have been successful throughout and await a date for a medical.

LRV3004

I've been rejected - despite already having the driver psychometrics passed! Although to be fair, I reckon my application could have been better; I did rush it a bit!

LimaLlama

I've done 1st stage assessments, with 6 years railway experience. Thought I had a decent application but unfortunately didn't make the sift! I think a lot it comes down to sheer luck at this stage. I'd go as far to say it's the hardest part! Oh well, onwards and upwards.

BrokenSam

I had an update yesterday to say they are still looking at my application. I applied pretty early doors in the latest campaign. Anyone else had this update?

deepblue82

Rejection email for me for Cardiff and Chester, had previously passed all my OPC tests with another TOC but don't imagine that counts for much with this volume of applications.

I have had the same. Acorn have said there are two stages so if you have applied quite early my guess is you are in the second stage where a human from TFW reviews the applications. Then it will be either a yes or a no from there.

BrokenSam

Rejection email for me for Cardiff and Chester, had previously passed all my OPC tests with another TOC but don't imagine that counts for much with this volume of applications.
The hour commute time could have been an issue no? As you can't be within for both of them.

I have had the same. Acorn have said there are two stages so if you have applied quite early my guess is you are in the second stage where a human from TFW reviews the applications. Then it will be either a yes or a no from there.
Interesting. Thanks.

Anon87

The hour commute time could have been an issue no? As you can't be within for both of them.

Interesting. Thanks.
With the hour commute rule - aren’t you given the opportunity to say you’ll relocate if successful? Rather than them using your current address to measure the distance..

Anon87

Most people with long commutes get fed up very quickly, especially getting into work at 2am & working 9-10hrs or finishing around 2am after a long day then having a long commute home. Then being back in work 12hrs after you finishing time, which happens quite often nowadays.
A lot of the long commute staff tend to move TOCs or depots as soon as they can
That makes sense.

But the TOCs wouldn’t reject your application before asking if you’re willing to relocate would they? For example, I live just north of Bristol, the commute time to Cardiff depending on what time you punch it into google can be just under or just over an hour. Had I been successful I’d have moved over the bridge anyway for a shorter commute. This would be acceptable to the TOC right? They wouldn’t reject me for my current postcode without giving me the opportunity to relocate?

BrokenSam

That makes sense.

But the TOCs wouldn’t reject your application before asking if you’re willing to relocate would they? For example, I live just north of Bristol, the commute time to Cardiff depending on what time you punch it into google can be just under or just over an hour. Had I been successful I’d have moved over the bridge anyway for a shorter commute. This would be acceptable to the TOC right? They wouldn’t reject me for my current postcode without giving me the opportunity to relocate?
Think they might reject it on that basis but obviously not 100%. I don't agree with it either as I'd be willing to relocate for the job too but I think it is the case.

Stigy

Established Member
Even those with great applications will sadly be rejected, often at the first hurdle as it’s so competitive. Your application may be near perfect and one of the best, but that’s not to say countless others weren’t of similar calibre. Good luck with everybody going forward and never give up.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Even those with great applications will sadly be rejected, often at the first hurdle as it’s so competitive. Your application may be near perfect and one of the best, but that’s not to say countless others weren’t of similar calibre. Good luck with everybody going forward and never give up.
This.

So many applications means it's extremely slim margins at the top.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Only the HR department can answer this question, but it may be that there more people that don't have to relocate.
They can be very picky with so many people applying & it may be just a minor reason other than the relocation issue. Maybe try for conductors roles that have just been advertised
There's been a big focus in this recruitment drive on the fact that the Metro is creating jobs and opportunities in the Valleys and surrounding area for the people who live there. They may have ruled out someone moving from Bristol out of hand because it doesn't fit the recruitment profile they're trying to make

jessica1306

Hi everyone- first post here, but thank you for all the information on the process as well as the indirect support too :D

I've seen people receiving emails yesterday about their application still being under review but have heard nothing myself since that update email on the 14th Aug. I applied on the 16th July so am generally unsure... but assuming no news = as goods as can hope for at the mo?

Thanks again!

LisaJenx79

There is a huge recruitment drive & a massive response to the vacancies, so probably minor mistakes may cause a rejection unfortunately. Things like poor grammar or not fulfilling the criteria exactly may be a cause.
The TOCs don't like the idea of people saying they will relocate, as many don't actually move & just drive in which will have big effects on their fatigue.
There's going to be a big recruitment drive for conductors now, Chester & Cardiff are already advertising. If people don't make it as a conductor maybe try as a conductor, as it's a great way to get on the railway & gives people a better understanding of how the railways work plus they can have an advantage with internal applications in the future

Only the HR department can answer this question, but it may be that there more people that don't have to relocate.
They can be very picky with so many people applying & it may be just a minor reason other than the relocation issue. Maybe try for conductors roles that have just been advertised
Would be interested in applying for the trainee conductor role as failed on the trainee train driver :( can only see Chester and Machynlleth advertised though and not Cardiff which would be the station nearest to me. Hopefully they’ll put that one up soon?? Like you say it would be a foot in the door :)

JLyons

Anyone whose recently had an email saying they’ve progressed, what was the actual content of the email? To say you’ve been shortlisted and through to the next stage or to give you dates for the assessment?

T-Karmel

With the hour commute rule - aren’t you given the opportunity to say you’ll relocate if successful? Rather than them using your current address to measure the distance..
All what was said above is the reason, but to say about if they would give you a opportunity - they clearly wouldn't, most of job adverts outline that "must live within 1 hour commute and it is not negotiable" whilst - very rarely - you might see an advert stating that relocation is allowed. Myself, I've seen advert allowing relocation for a driver position only once.

Anon87

Same for me. Still under review.
Fair play to you both.

Out of interest, what things did you make a point of including in your answers on the application form stage? I’m after tips for next time! My main concern is that at 33 I might not get taken on as a trainee.

mstrwvr

Fair play to you both.

Out of interest, what things did you make a point of including in your answers on the application form stage? I’m after tips for next time! My main concern is that at 33 I might not get taken on as a trainee.

I'm applying for roles at 44, so I hope you'll be alright....

Plodster

Fair play to you both.

I’m over 40 mate. Don’t think age is too big a barrier
A friend who is 50 is waiting an assessment date.

BrokenSam

Fair play to you both.

33 is no age for any career change.

Look at what they want in the role profile and fit every answer to it. So lots of safety and concerntration, working alone, customer service etc, when mentioning past jobs. Most work has something you can link to Train Driving if you look hard enough. Wouldn't lie if it's not there though.

Acorn system is a bit different though for sure. Very in depth on past work.

Bazzale

I applied end of July and I just had a email asking for my national insurance number and they said we will be in contact upon me sending it to them but haven’t been told if I was successful or not so hopefully this is good news

Yep, had the rejection e-mail today! I'm still curious if anybody has got to the next stage who initially applied after 29th July. Good luck to all :)
Applied 29th of July and today had a email asking for my NI number sounds promising and unlucky mate sure you’ll get it next time

Last edited:

deepblue82

Interesting. Thanks.

I have family living in both Cardiff and near Chester so had addresses I could live at whilst training on the applications.

craigybagel

Established Member
Fair play to you both.

I was the youngest on my TfW trainee drivers course. I turned 33 during my training.

CPFC#1

Has anyone else had an email from TFW asking for their national Insurance number? I had an email today asking for mine. Is this a good sign or is this just standard for this recruitment process?

jessica1306

Has anyone else had an email from TFW asking for their national Insurance number? I had an email today asking for mine. Is this a good sign or is this just standard for this recruitment process?

Hi, I've also had this email. Not sure what it means particularly, but have seen on the TfW Chester and Cardiff thread that people have waited a few weeks for any other emails after sending their NI. I've taken it optimistically - any mention of next steps surely must be a step in the right direction?