• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Bazzale

I was the youngest on my TfW trainee drivers course. I turned 33 during my training.
You don’t have to provide your age on a application or a c.v it’s now
Has anyone else had an email from TFW asking for their national Insurance number? I had an email today asking for mine. Is this a good sign or is this just standard for this recruitment process?
I had this Friday a vague email asking for NI number then saying once they receive it they will be in contact with further steps it just a waiting game iv spoken to someone who had this 4 weeks ago and there still waiting for a response

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ArchangelA

By asking for your National Insurance number I'm pretty sure that TFW will now be checking the testing database to see who has and who hasn't previously taken train driver tests. I can then guarantee that it's a way of further whittling down to only applicants who are eligible to apply again, as opposed to those who have previously used up all their testing lives.

Stigy

Established Member
By asking for your National Insurance number I'm pretty sure that TFW will now be checking the testing database to see who has and who hasn't previously taken train driver tests. I can then guarantee that it's a way of further whittling down to only applicants who are eligible to apply again, as opposed to those who have previously used up all their testing lives.
Another reason why having passes already under your belt helps. It’s debatable, but the fact that they won’t have to retest some is another cost they don’t have to factor in and less hassle.

Anon87

I'm applying for roles at 44, so I hope you'll be alright....
I’m over 40 mate. Don’t think age is too big a barrier
A friend who is 50 is waiting an assessment date.
33 is no age for any career change.

Look at what they want in the role profile and fit every answer to it. So lots of safety and concerntration, working alone, customer service etc, when mentioning past jobs. Most work has something you can link to Train Driving if you look hard enough. Wouldn't lie if it's not there though.

Acorn system is a bit different though for sure. Very in depth on past work.
I was the youngest on my TfW trainee drivers course. I turned 33 during my training.
Great to know guys!

I’ve lost a life on the VSE test but I believe it’s a test that’s rarely used now so it shouldn’t be as disastrous as I first thought. I know the ‘lives’ were all last reset in 2013, is this a ten yearly thing or is there no set date as to when they’re due to be reset again?

Another question I have is whether anyone has done the assessments privately? I know DB used to do them and there’s another company doing them now (forget the name) which are verified by the RSSB. Something I might look into..

Kyle807

Does anybody know TFW validity on test results currently have 2 and a bit years on stage 1 and 3 years on stage 2 but been invited to an assessment centre

T-Karmel

Hi new to the group, any tips or advise for the assessment stage 1
Hi! Welcome to the forum. Check out thread called Becoming a train driver pinned at the top of this forum and you'll find a lot of good advice on there. One from me is - practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

Block1234

Hi! Welcome to the forum. Check out thread called Becoming a train driver pinned at the top of this forum and you'll find a lot of good advice on there. One from me is - practice, practice, practice. Good luck!
thanks for the advice, I have my assessment with TFW next week

LeonO

Passed both assessments and the MMI, Just waiting on my DMI now.

Good luck.

Well done pal. I’m also still waiting on my DMI. I was advised last week that there will hopefully be dates in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed!

JLX5

Out of interest and for preparation, am I correct in thinking that the only location for the assessments/interviews is in Cardiff and you will have to go down there several times throughout the whole process?

LeonO

Out of interest and for preparation, am I correct in thinking that the only location for the assessments/interviews is in Cardiff and you will have to go down there several times throughout the whole process?

I went to Chester for the paper assessments, with applicants for Chester, Shrewsbury, Crewe and a few other depots.

Everybody goes to Cardiff for the Computer tests and MMI (same day).

Unsure on the DMI, some people did it via Zoom at the start of the process, and with local lockdowns being re-introduced, I wouldn’t be surprised if this will be the case for candidates still waiting. Not sure where it will be if I’m person - I’m still waiting for a DMI date and info.

JLX5

I went to Chester for the paper assessments, with applicants for Chester, Shrewsbury, Crewe and a few other depots.

Everybody goes to Cardiff for the Computer tests and MMI (same day).

Unsure on the DMI, some people did it via Zoom at the start of the process, and with local lockdowns being re-introduced, I wouldn’t be surprised if this will be the case for candidates still waiting. Not sure where it will be if I’m person - I’m still waiting for a DMI date and info.
Ah ok, many thanks. I've applied for Shrewsbury and have been told that I'll be booked in for assessments over the coming weeks. Good luck with your DMI!

Hotaxlebox17

Has anyone had their computer assessment in the last 2 weeks ? Or been invited for it? I passed my paper but was unable to attend the computer date in Cardiff on the 1st so still waiting for a new date.

Leemini

I had my computer and mmi last week. Missed the first load in September then had another date cancelled around 15th because if covid. Just had an email to say I passed now have to prep for the DMI. Any tip?

Welcome change

Good morning everyone,

I'm new, Just been directed to this forum by a work colleague who applied but unfortunately didn't get through a part of the assessment process.

I applied at the end of July whilst sat in a field camping in France, spent hours on the application and currently at the stage of giving my NI number.

Have read a lot of these pages which is now making me a little nervous.

Not sure what DMI, MMI, TOC etc. mean? I'll be spending the next few days scrolling through all these pages to try and help if I get to the next stage.

Mr Rottweiler

Good morning everyone,

I'm new, Just been directed to this forum by a work colleague who applied but unfortunately didn't get through a part of the assessment process.

I applied at the end of July whilst sat in a field camping in France, spent hours on the application and currently at the stage of giving my NI number.

Have read a lot of these pages which is now making me a little nervous.

Not sure what DMI, MMI, TOC etc. mean? I'll be spending the next few days scrolling through all these pages to try and help if I get to the next stage.

DMI = Driver Manager Interview. An Interview with a Driver Manager and usually someone from recruitment/HR asking you the usual interview questions (tell me about yourself, what do you know about the company, tell me a time, etc.). I believe this takes place after the psychometric testing.

MMI = Multi-Modal Interview. The final psychometric test and counts as one of your two lives if you fail. Basically you're given six questions (normally 'desribe a time' ones) on a piece of paper before starting the interview, you're given about twenty minutes to write down a brief answer and then these will be asked in the MMI and you'll be asked to expand on the answers given. There'll be lots of other questions interjected as well (so how did that make you feel?) along with plenty of probing. You'll do this after the pen/paper and computer psychometric tests.

TOC = Train operating company. Pretty self-explanatory :)

Ghost_rider

Hi everyone. I’ve passed my 1st assessment, got my computer tests next week, anyone got any tips at all?
Thank you and good luck

Congratulations!

There's not really any preparation that can be done for the computer tests so all I'd really advise you do is be fully prepared for the MMI. You already know your answers so just learn them and be prepared to go into detail for each one using the STAR method.

It's a relaxed atmosphere and not as stressful as you will have undoubtedly built it up to be in your head.

Personally I was probably more worried for these tests as you can't really prepare for them but on reflection, they aren't quite as challenging as the paper tests.

Also, if you're travelling a fair distance to Cardiff, I found booking a Hotel (Clayton Hotel, right next to the station and the assessment centre) made life much easier!

Good luck!

BarberGirl

Congratulations!

There's not really any preparation that can be done for the computer tests so all I'd really advise you do is be fully prepared for the MMI. You already know your answers so just learn them and be prepared to go into detail for each one using the STAR method.

It's a relaxed atmosphere and not as stressful as you will have undoubtedly built it up to be in your head.

Personally I was probably more worried for these tests as you can't really prepare for them but on reflection, they aren't quite as challenging as the paper tests.

Also, if you're travelling a fair distance to Cardiff, I found booking a Hotel (Clayton Hotel, right next to the station and the assessment centre) made life much easier!

Good luck!
Thank you for your detailed reply. Yes I’ve been practicing the star method. What are the tests on the computer? I know the perception test where the picture flashes up and you have to click what you see, but what are the other ones?

thank you

Benje06

On top of the perception You’ll have One where you have to stare at a screen for 30 mins and click a button when you see the square in the middle change colour, and the other is the 2 hand co ordination test with 2 joysticks moving a ball around a track

BarberGirl

On top of the perception You’ll have One where you have to stare at a screen for 30 mins and click a button when you see the square in the middle change colour, and the other is the 2 hand co ordination test with 2 joysticks moving a ball around a track
Thank you so much. Hopefully being a gamer will help with the coordination test

Jim2019

Hi Everyone,

I’ve had an email requesting NI number. Does anyone happen to know what the next stage in the process will be? Interview or testing?

Cheers, Jim.

LeonO

Hi Everyone,

I’ve had an email requesting NI number. Does anyone happen to know what the next stage in the process will be? Interview or testing?

Cheers, Jim.

Next stage will be the paper tests, due to Covid.

Managers Interview is the last hurdle - I’m currently waiting for a date for this!

Lm2020

Hey Jim
When did you submit your application if you don’t mind me asking? Trying to get an idea of where they are up to as currently I just receive the fortnightly updates that my application is still under review, Thanks.