• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dragon Breath

Anyone else starting on Monday 26th October?

That’s great that they have not postponed your start date amidst this mini lockdown we are about to head into.

Keeping everything crossed that I hear something soon. I applied in March and was added to the talent pool in September for Cardiff.

I understand you were from an earlier pool, hoping that there’s not many left from that one and that they start picking people from the latest one soon!

RedRobin

That’s great that they have not postponed your start date amidst this mini lockdown we are about to head into.

Keeping everything crossed that I hear something soon. I applied in March and was added to the talent pool in September for Cardiff.

I understand you were from an earlier pool, hoping that there’s not many left from that one and that they start picking people from the latest one soon!

There is a November course starting 23rd November and that will wipe the talent pool from 2019 I believe. The new driver courses from 2021 will be from February 2020 talent pool

Dragon Breath

There is a November course starting 23rd November and that will wipe the talent pool from 2019 I believe. The new driver courses from 2021 will be from February 2020 talent pool
Thank you, that’s good to know. My current job is a contract and it finishes on 31st December so I’m hoping to be in one of the earlier batches.

What I’m hopeful of is that they don’t merge the Feb/Mar 2020 talent pool with the July/Aug/Sept 2020 one, because there may be quite a few talented souls in that one that would push some of the earlier applicants down the list!

RedRobin

Thank you, that’s good to know. My current job is a contract and it finishes on 31st December so I’m hoping to be in one of the earlier batches.

What I’m hopeful of is that they don’t merge the Feb/Mar 2020 talent pool with the July/Aug/Sept 2020 one, because there may be quite a few talented souls in that one that would push some of the earlier applicants down the list!

To my knowledge it goes by recruitment drive so if your Feb/March 2020 drive you will be first. Its usuly 4 internal/4 external so fingers cross you will be soon does no harm drop them an email December and explain your position they may bump you up quicker if you have little notice to give.

Dragon Breath

To my knowledge it goes by recruitment drive so if your Feb/March 2020 drive you will be first. Its usuly 4 internal/4 external so fingers cross you will be soon does no harm drop them an email December and explain your position they may bump you up quicker if you have little notice to give.

Thanks, good to know. Yeah I should learn in November if my current contract will definitely lapse or if I get extended. As soon as I learn more, I’ll drop them an email, probably at the end of November.

craigybagel

Established Member

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure none of this is guaranteed. Recruitment decide what order they want people in. It does tend to go in order of recruitment drive order but I don't believe this is definite. There is no distinction between internal and external that I'm aware of and certainly no pattern of 50:50 ratios on training courses. In any case, whilst recruitment can ask for certain internal staff to be on a certain course, it's subject to management of whatever grade the internal candidate works in releasing them which is by no means guaranteed. And they should already be aware of when external staff become available anyway as you're supposed to put your notice details on your application.

Talent pools are awful, but the advice I always give people is to not over think it too much. By all means message the recruitment team every so often to ask for updates, but other then that you need to accept that it's pretty much out of your hands. It's well worth the wait in the end, but until then try not to worry too much, it'll only drive you crazy.

Last edited:

Slipper

I asked this very same question. I was told by recruitment at the assessment day that you were called from the talent pool in the order you go into it, and not on performance on the tests/interviews. I was told the only exception to anyone 'jumping the queue' was for internal applicants, where there is the opportunity to fill their current vacancy and thus release them for driver training.

Of course, I may have been given the official answer, and reality may differ. I applied in March but didn't get through all the tests and interviews until mid-September. Really hoping for something towards the beginning of next year.

mikeymikey

I asked this very same question. I was told by recruitment at the assessment day that you were called from the talent pool in the order you go into it, and not on performance on the tests/interviews. I was told the only exception to anyone 'jumping the queue' was for internal applicants, where there is the opportunity to fill their current vacancy and thus release them for driver training.

Of course, I may have been given the official answer, and reality may differ. I applied in March but didn't get through all the tests and interviews until mid-September. Really hoping for something towards the beginning of next year.
Are you Slipper the ex Pilot?

RedRobin

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure none of this is guaranteed. Recruitment decide what order they want people in. It does tend to go in order of recruitment drive order but I don't believe this is definite. There is no distinction between internal and external that I'm aware of and certainly no pattern of 50:50 ratios on training courses. In any case, whilst recruitment can ask for certain internal staff to be on a certain course, it's subject to management of whatever grade the internal candidate works in releasing them which is by no means guaranteed. And they should already be aware of when external staff become available anyway as you're supposed to put your notice details on your application.

Talent pools are awful, but the advice I always give people is to not over think it too much. By all means message the recruitment team every so often to ask for updates, but other then that you need to accept that it's pretty much out of your hands. It's well worth the wait in the end, but until then try not to worry too much, it'll only drive you crazy.

While you are right about internals needing released and it can be difficult, 3 conductor courses by Easter next year should release some guards ready to be drivers. They aim to make it 50:50 but of course cant always be the case in October's course there is at least 3 Internals I gather.

Nothing is guaranteed of course things change rapidly in the railway but I have seen the courses go in order of recruitment drives. Judging by the courses past 2 years (including oct/nov) its went by date of assessments and I know the Internals very well so I'm confident I'm right could be different for externals but I dont think thats the case

craigybagel

Established Member
While you are right about internals needing released and it can be difficult, 3 conductor courses by Easter next year should release some guards ready to be drivers. They aim to make it 50:50 but of course cant always be the case in October's course there is at least 3 Internals I gather.

Nothing is guaranteed of course things change rapidly in the railway but I have seen the courses go in order of recruitment drives. Judging by the courses past 2 years (including oct/nov) its went by date of assessments and I know the Internals very well so I'm confident I'm right could be different for externals but I dont think thats the case

I was one of those internals over the past two years :lol: but I appreciate different people have different experiences with these things

My main point to those in the talent pool still stands though. You can drive yourself crazy trying to work out every little detail over when you may or may not get a start date, but at the end of the day there's very little you can actually do to change things. You've done the hard part - now you just need to be patient. Just because there's a new recruitment drive or a timetable changes or you know a guy who knows someone else at a certain depot who's just announced their retirement date, it doesn't change anything - it's not your actions that matter any more but those of the recruitment team, and trying to second guess them won't help your peace of mind in any way.

RedRobin

I was one of those internals over the past two years :lol: but I appreciate different people have different experiences with these things

My main point to those in the talent pool still stands though. You can drive yourself crazy trying to work out every little detail over when you may or may not get a start date, but at the end of the day there's very little you can actually do to change things. You've done the hard part - now you just need to be patient. Just because there's a new recruitment drive or a timetable changes or you know a guy who knows someone else at a certain depot who's just announced their retirement date, it doesn't change anything - it's not your actions that matter any more but those of the recruitment team, and trying to second guess them won't help your peace of mind in any way.

Whilst your input is sound advice highlights the need to be patient. We never know in these forums the people who work for TfW and have current up to date knowledge from HR

Boydy

Signed my contract yesterday, starting on the November course. Was placed in the pool in August but applied in 2019.

Leospinks

Congrats mate. I was placed into the talent pool in early September. Im really worried about the news yesterday about tfw being nationalised. Just hope there's enough driver jobs after that news. But this covid has put everything out of whack :(

craigybagel

Established Member
Whats the wage structure like as a trainee etc?

As an external trainee you start off on the trainee salary advertised on the Recruitment website ~ 28k AFAIK. You stay at this rate until the day after you pass out as a qualified driver and drive your first train by yourself, then you go up to 90% of full driver pay (currently just under 47k). 2 years after you pass out, you go up to 100%.

Trevormax

Well, I had my day 1st assessment back in September for Cardiff which I passed. I was asked to send a list of dates I am available for the 2nd day (computer and MMI) which I did. All dates available came and went and I was asked a few weeks back to send another list of dates, which I have, going up to mid November, and was told they would hopefully get me on a week later (last week). Sadly still no date for the 2nd day.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing as me? Obviously COVID and the multitude of lockdowns are causing massive delays, and I don't want to bug the recruiter with emails asking for an update. Just hoping it's all still going on and my application wont be cancelled.

I'm also hoping the Nationalisation wont cause issues or cancel the recruitment. Does anyone know if things will continue as normal for recruitment? I understand things like the new Metro are still going ahead, so hopefully wont affect recruitment.

Jonno271

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum and this is my first post. I found my way here whilst researching information for my recent driver application to TfW (Cardiff). What an excellent resource this forum is, lots to read up on.

It seems I was late to the party with my application, having submitted it end of August. I have had a few e-mail updates to say my application is under review with Transport for Wales, though they went quiet about a month ago. I'm hoping no news is good news and of course no doubt the virus and local lockdowns are slowing the sifting progress. Furthermore, REALLY hoping this weeks news doesn't draw recruitment to a close.

It's good to see/hear that other candidates are moving through the process, especially locally, it gives me some confidence that my application will progress.

Look forward to chatting with you all

Cheers, Jon

Shameless J

Good luck for today. Must be exciting to finally get started.

How many people are in your training group? And I’m assuming they would all be for the Cardiff depot?
Thanks pal!

It's the 3 day induction at the moment, so this part isn't just for drivers. I'll know more on Thursday when the training starts.

Is was told that this course was for drivers that would eventually be based in the Taffs Well depot.

RedRobin

Thanks pal!

It's the 3 day induction at the moment, so this part isn't just for drivers. I'll know more on Thursday when the training starts.

Is was told that this course was for drivers that would eventually be based in the Taffs Well depot.

2 great conductors joining you Thursday

JustJim93

Hi all! First time posting, congrats to everyone who have had there assessment days and passed! I'm just wondering if anybody who has applied for the Carmarthen depo has heard anything after the NI email? Thanks

Leemini

Hi guys found out today passed the MMI and computer tests. Super nervous for the DMI.. anyone else due to do theirs this month for Cardiff depot?
Congratulations. I sent a follow up email to laura. Think they are going to be starting in November, hopefully we'll hear back soon about dates. Nervous about the DMI hopefully it goes well for us all. Cardiff depot to