• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Yabba

What’s the score with it
Haven’t had a chance to look yet due to work
16 questions??

Yeah, lots of typing. I had difficulty with one section as my current role covers 3 different jobs and I had a character limit to explain why that would make me a suitable train driver. Was almost tempted "2 rite it in txt spek m8"

Looks like there is a 6-8 week wait after this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Plodster

Yeah, lots of typing. I had difficulty with one section as my current role covers 3 different jobs and I had a character limit to explain why that would make me a suitable train driver. Was almost tempted "2 rite it in txt spek m8"

Looks like there is a 6-8 week wait after this.
Good luck with it mate

Iwanjos

For this stage of the application process I would advise to copy and paste the questions to google Docs etc and write them there. The websites to fill in the application process are prone to freezing etc. If this happens there is a possibility you will lose everything you worked hard on!
For this stage of the application process I would advise to copy and paste the questions to google Docs etc and write them there. The websites to fill in the application process are prone to freezing etc. If this happens there is a possibility you will lose everything you worked hard on!
thanks for the reply, is there a time limit on the application form to complete, going to do some home work 1st before opening the link , dont want to make a pigs ear of it at this stage, have you done the acorn application form or does it just ask for the basic questions to find out what sort of individual you are

Symbols

Hi everyone, a newbie who is about to fill out the application form. Where can I find some general advice on this forum or specific to this app? Is there a thread with a bulk of advice somewhere?

Anon87

Evening all

Is there a time limit on the application form Acorn send out for completion? I’ve seen a few comments suggesting that there is an hour’s time limit but the only reference on the literature is that you should set aside an hour to complete it.. not a limit.

If anybody could clarify, that would be great!

Cheers

Manda2194

Evening all

Is there a time limit on the application form Acorn send out for completion? I’ve seen a few comments suggesting that there is an hour’s time limit but the only reference on the literature is that you should set aside an hour to complete it.. not a limit.

Cheers

I was on the last campaign and it had a countdown once you opened it from what I remember. it may have changed but an hour is more than enough. It was 10 questions and some were just tick boxes.

Anon87

I was on the last campaign and it had a countdown once you opened it from what I remember. it may have changed but an hour is more than enough. It was 10 questions and some were just tick boxes.
Hi Manda! Was it written questions or the situational judgement questions?

Plodster

I’ve had a look and there is no time limit
Some situational type questions and some free text tell us why you want the job and why you would make a good train driver type stuff

Anon87

I’ve had a look and there is no time limit
Some situational type questions and some free text tell us why you want the job and why you would make a good train driver type stuff

Just tells you to set aside an hour right? (As opposed to an hour’s time limit)

craigybagel

Established Member
Does anyone know what the pay structure is following the training period?

It's training salary until you drive your first train solo productively, and starting from that date you go onto 90% of the drivers salary for a period of 2 years, and then you go up to the full 100%. Currently 90% works out as a hair under 47k a year.

TrainGirl

Evening all

Cheers
I completed it yesterday and no time limit

Anon87

I completed it yesterday and no time limit
I’ve just finished it myself!

Does anyone know how Acorn are going to do the sift? There are going to be thousands of applicants so surely they’ll have an IT system that does the sift by searching for key words rather than a recruitment consultant going through every application? Would take years! :lol:

mstrwvr

Hello chaps.
My first post, just to say I've just completed the application form.
Something to watch out for: if you hit "enter" while writing an answer - to begin a new paragraph, for example - you automatically get moved on to the next question, and you can't go back. To start a new paragraph, you have to hit shift & enter instead. It makes this very clear on the page, but it's hard not to do it automatically, and one of my questions went in not fully completed. I was hoping you'd get chance to review your answers at the end, but you do not.
It says give yourself an hour, but I took closer to two, on account of all the dithering over my answers.
Good luck all....

Iwanjos

Hello chaps.
Something to watch out for: if you hit "enter" while writing an answer - to begin a new paragraph, for example - you automatically get moved on to the next question, and you can't go back. To start a new paragraph, you have to hit shift & enter instead. It makes this very clear on the page, but it's hard not to do it automatically, and one of my questions went in not fully completed. I was hoping you'd get chance to review your answers at the end, but you do not.
It says give yourself an hour, but I took closer to two, on account of all the dithering over my answers.
Good luck all....
thanks for the info m8 will be doing mine this afternoon, are they quite straight forward questions or a bit tricky m8

jezzer34

Hello chaps.
Good luck all....
you can go back, there is a arrow pointing up and down at the bottom right of the screen, if you press up it goes back to the previous question.

mstrwvr

thanks for the info m8 will be doing mine this afternoon, are they quite straight forward questions or a bit tricky m8

There are a coupld of longer questions - Why do you want to be a train driver?, What makes a good train driver? - that aren't tricky exactly, but you'll want to take your time over and make sure you give the best answer you can.

ArchangelA

There are a coupld of longer questions - Why do you want to be a train driver?, What makes a good train driver? - that aren't tricky exactly, but you'll want to take your time over and make sure you give the best answer you can.
It says the application form will take you up to an hour. It took me double that because of filling in all the questions to a detailed evidenced standard, so people should prepare for this if you have plenty of evidence to give them.

EACB

Afternoon ladies and gents

Just a quick one. I completed the 16 questions earlier but haven't had an email confirmation of my submission. Normally there is always some form of confirmation (be it inbox or spam) but this time nothing. Has anyone who's done the app had a confirmation email? Just to avoid having to contact Acorn down the line.
Thanks !

jag

I didn't get confirmation email, once completed if i remember correctly it states will be contacted within 4-6 weeks .

mstrwvr

I didn't get a confirmation email either. Maybe they'll come through on Monday morning when someone from Acorn switches their computer on...

LordCreed

Can you apply for more than one depot? Doesn't seem to be anything advising not to do so...

Plodster

Can you apply for more than one depot? Doesn't seem to be anything advising not to do so...
Yes the form has a section where you can tick the depots you are applying to
Only criteria is you must live within an hour of the depots you apply to

ArchangelA

Just a quick one. I completed the 16 questions earlier but haven't had an email confirmation of my submission. Normally there is always some form of confirmation (be it inbox or spam) but this time nothing. Has anyone who's done the app had a confirmation email? Just to avoid having to contact Acorn down the line.
Thanks !
Yeah I had one

Jon72

Thanks !
Hi
No i havent received a confirmation email yet, just the screen saying they would be in contact within 2-4 weeks i think it was.