• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wobman

On Moderation
For Crewe yes. Indeed, can’t wait!
Great news get ready for your Brain to be fried with all the classroom work, the training centre staff in Chester are good though.
Remember there is never a stupid question, if you don't understand anything ask that question.

It's a new career and exciting times with new trains on there way aswell.

Llanelliturk

Word of warning to those about to hand your notices in at work....don't do it until you have a signed contract (not even sure if that helps protect you anymore ?)....I had an email yesterday confirming offer of a place on Cardiff course starting on 22nd Nov and today phone call withdrawing the job offer. I'm disillusioned with this whole process (initially applied almost 3 years ago) so I won't be following or posting on this forum anymore because I need time to digest it all ....good luck to you all......and before anyone says anything no I hadn't handed my notice in at work

Plodster

Word of warning to those about to hand your notices in at work....don't do it until you have a signed contract (not even sure if that helps protect you anymore ?)....I had an email yesterday confirming offer of a place on Cardiff course starting on 22nd Nov and today phone call withdrawing the job offer. I'm disillusioned with this whole process (initially applied almost 3 years ago) so I won't be following or posting on this forum anymore because I need time to digest it all ....good luck to you all......and before anyone says anything no I hadn't handed my notice in at work
Sorry to hear that!
Have they put you back into the pool and was there any sort of explanation mate?

Leospinks

Omg that's brutal :( I hope I don't get the same phonecall I'd be in bits :(

Amancanonlysee

This is not confirmed.
I can very much confirm this is true. Very true. Infact.

From what I have heard the next course for chester has been postponed and the trainees for said course have been allocated to crewe. No idea about future course. A few more people from the February course have now got a DI (albeit 2 at Shrewsbury and 2 at crewe) with no idea whats going to happen afterwards in terms of chester. There are only I believe 10 DI's at chester and like previously mentioned a few are tied up with 230s and the rest already have trainees.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
I can very much confirm this is true. Very true. Infact.

From what I have heard the next course for chester has been postponed and the trainees for said course have been allocated to crewe. No idea about future course. A few more people from the February course have now got a DI (albeit 2 at Shrewsbury and 2 at crewe) with no idea whats going to happen afterwards in terms of chester. There are only I believe 10 DI's at chester and like previously mentioned a few are tied up with 230s and the rest already have trainees.

The next course is and always has been planned for crewe.

So I suggest you check your sources. I have not "heard" this. I am getting it from the horses mouth and saddle bag. The slowdown in di's is in part to ricf restrictions. That's not going to get any easier but it's not slowing down recruitment.

There is another in January, and another in March for the north. The south have more courses.

Simotrfc

So I suggest you check your sources. I have not "heard" this. I am getting it from the horses mouth and saddle bag. The slowdown in di's is in part to ricf restrictions. That's not going to get any easier but it's not slowing down recruitment.

There is another in January, and another in March for the north. The south have more courses.
I presume then reading between the lines mate that anyone waiting for a start at Chester depot, could be waiting some time?

wobman

On Moderation
I presume then reading between the lines mate that anyone waiting for a start at Chester depot, could be waiting some time?
There's at least 8 trainee drivers for Chester sitting at home now waiting for DIs, it's a symptom of 2 DIs in the 230 secondment for 2 years now. DIs retiring and lots of secondments / lots of road learning with PQA drivers coupled with the covid delays and Chester recruiting more new drivers with it being a bigger depot. It's a perfect storm as they say unfortunately....

For anyone waiting for the medical as well who may be nervous, don't be. The Medigold chap at Chester was amazing, I hate medicals despite having numerous when in the military but it was the best medical I've ever had.

I got asked questions about if I smoke, if I drink alcohol and how much, any medication, surgery etc.

Then I had my blood pressure taken, height, weight then got hooked up to an ECG to check my heart. I then did a breathalyser and gave a urine sample followed by an eye test in which I had to read the smallest text I could off a card before moving onto the eye test chart. To finish I did a hearing test and he told me all was ok so he would send the results to a booking team who pass it onto HR.

Sparky9909

I got asked questions about if I smoke, if I drink alcohol and how much, any medication, surgery etc.

Then I had my blood pressure taken, height, weight then got hooked up to an ECG to check my heart. I then did a breathalyser and gave a urine sample followed by an eye test in which I had to read the smallest text I could off a card before moving onto the eye test chart. To finish I did a hearing test and he told me all was ok so he would send the results to a booking team who pass it onto HR.
Did it take long when you went for it and was there a certain bmi etc that had to be met

Simotrfc

There's at least 8 trainee drivers for Chester sitting at home now waiting for DIs, it's a symptom of 2 DIs in the 230 secondment for 2 years now. DIs retiring and lots of secondments / lots of road learning with PQA drivers coupled with the covid delays and Chester recruiting more new drivers with it being a bigger depot. It's a perfect storm as they say unfortunately....
Cheers mate. I’ll have until August 23 to get a place. Just got to live in hope

wobman

On Moderation
Cheers mate. I’ll have until August 23 to get a place. Just got to live in hope
All I can advise is if they offer a place at another depot take it and then transfer in the future. That's if you are worried about your pass lapsing or ring / email Hr to ask about your options.

That's good advice. I actually emailed around 2 weeks ago asking about any updates and said I had less then a year left on my pass. Then Tuesday I got an email about a last minute medical slot so don't know if my previous email helped.

wobman

On Moderation
That's good advice. I actually emailed around 2 weeks ago asking about any updates and said I had less then a year left on my pass. Then Tuesday I got an email about a last minute medical slot so don't know if my previous email helped.
It's best to give Hr a nudge sometimes, they are dealing with a huge recruitment drive at this time. Every depot is increasing its complement, so it's a lot of work and people can get forgotten about.

Amancanonlysee

Yep. From the horses mouth too. Namely the training centre. There was a set of 8 trainees originally planned for chester (how long ago i don't know) That has been changed to crewe now. Training for chester drivers has been halted until the backlog of trainees has eased. There are currently 6 trainees now at home.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Yep. From the horses mouth too. Namely the training centre. There was a set of 8 trainees originally planned for chester (how long ago i don't know) That has been changed to crewe now. Training for chester drivers has been halted until the backlog of trainees has eased. There are currently 6 trainees now at home.
Well I know all 4 of the driver trainers at the training centre, and that plan was changed months ago. So either you are mistaken or one of the 4 is feeding you duff info.

Training had not been eased, the next chester course is months off and always had been. There is a two penciled in for across the north in the new year. And that's from the main training schedule.

Sparky9909

Is this effecting the new trainees for cardiff and the valley lones

wobman

On Moderation
Is this effecting the new trainees for cardiff and the valley lones
TFW have 2 training centres Chester is for the North and mid Wales training and Cardiff for the south / valleys training. So any Chester problems only effect the north, this issue is specific to just Chester depot.

The original plan many months ago was a 8 drivers course just for Chester, this changed due to the Chester backlog. All TFW depots require more drivers so moving the training plan can easily be done. The backlog may be easing soon as the recent trainee drivers with DIs are starting their pass out phase, this will free up DIs to take trainees from sitting at home and get them in the drivers seat.