• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Saxon79

Well I've actually been emailed the link now from Acorn so will get that done this week. Anyone who has already completed it got any advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TeaTrain

Wow the confusion while trying to catch up on this thread! Seems as though Acorn may need to make the application process clearer.

Burt807

Well I've actually been emailed the link now from Acorn so will get that done this week. Anyone who has already completed it got any advice?
Yes mate, take your time, do the longer questions as a word doc then cut and paste, and don't confuse word count for character count. I did, and spent 30 fruitless minutes trying to cut and paste said document into one of the questions only to lose most of it, until I realised! Be concise and you'll nail it.

High speed

I've completed my application. I got an automatic response back saying they check the applications every 2 weeks.

dan_156

It seems they send the application form to everyone who submits a cv, I wonder why they don’t have it as the first step to begin with...

ArchangelA

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but does anyone know how long a new entrant trainee train driver would be on the training salary for (£28, 488). Are we talking months, or years?

Robbie88

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but does anyone know how long a new entrant trainee train driver would be on the training salary for (£28, 488). Are we talking months, or years?
Training usually lasts around a minimum of 9 months. Everyone will pass out at different times. As soon as you pass out you go up onto 90% of the full salary, this then rises to 100% after 2 years.

craigybagel

Established Member

As I just posted on the other thread

You'll be on that until you pass out as a qualified driver, at the end of your training. The length of time it takes varies depending on what depot you're based at, as it relies on you completing 265 hours of driving a train under the supervision of a DI, so it requires a DI to be available, and through various quirks of geography some depots spend more hours driving on average then others. It also relies on the the availability of a manager to spend a week passing you out. Other factors can come into play too, like whether you take any annual leave during the handling phase. I managed to pass out 9 months after I started training, and that was pretty normal for my depot, but at others it can take longer then a year. By industry standards though, regardless of your depot TfW are very good at getting trainees out as qualified productive drivers fairly quickly.

Once you do pass out, you go up to 90% of the full drivers pay, taking you up to just below £47,000. You'll be on this for 2 years from the day you pass out, and then you go up to the full 100%, which currently is just under £53,000.

Claire-r

I have applied for Cardiff as I know Cardiff very well and the valleys. I applied 4 days ago and have received an email yesterday saying my application is currently being looked at and under review. Just an update thanking me for applying. Luckily, I passed the psychometric assessment last April 2019. I failed the interview back then. I am happy to relocate back to Cardiff where I use to live. Fingers crossed I make it through to interview stage and meanwhile I’ll be do my research into the new Metro lines which are taking place.

Claire-r

For this stage of the application process I would advise to copy and paste the questions to google Docs etc and write them there. The websites to fill in the application process are prone to freezing etc. If this happens there is a possibility you will lose everything you worked hard on!
The application form took me 5 attempts but remained calm and eventually was relieved when I finished it and hit that submit button.

Dan61

ive had an email from TFW today which appeared in junk mail stating please confirm National insurance number, once recieved we will be in touch regarding next stage of the recruitment process

Island Dave

ive had an email from TFW today which appeared in junk mail stating please confirm National insurance number, once recieved we will be in touch regarding next stage of the recruitment process
Have you taken the assessments previously, maybe by confirming NI number they can check results maybe?

Claire-r

I have passed assessments just want to get to the interview and medical. I will check my junk mail today and make sure I have not missed anything.

Stigy

Established Member
Training usually lasts around a minimum of 9 months. Everyone will pass out at different times. As soon as you pass out you go up onto 90% of the full salary, this then rises to 100% after 2 years.
To add, I’d imagine it the process and training would be rather dragged out in the current climate too, what with all classroom training having been severely affected doe to Covid, and train handling stopped for a. Umber of months accross all TOCs.

Stoney

Can anybody tell me how long they waited from applying to when they received a yes or no for the next stage please?
I'm just after a rough idea as to when I should expect a response.
Thanks in advance.

Ghost_rider

What's the general opinion of people who have completed their stage 1 assessments and how they think it all went? I think I could've powered a small village from the nervous energy I was generating! Stressful doesn't cover it! :lol:

Burt807

I'm still waiting for a date to do mine. How did you find it, did the practice material prepare you for the actual tests?

Danevo98

Just finished the questionnaire, what’s the latest people have heard / furthest people have got so far and has COVID put it all on hold ?

craigybagel

Established Member
Yeh there's a huge backlog of existing trainees at various stages of the training process, plus covid training arrangements are being developed & trialed.
It's all a learning curve & will probably impact on further training as a result unfortunately
For what it's worth, a limited amount of handling hours with trainees has resumed this week. There is though still a massive backlog to get through and fewer DIs available then there was before Covid

Ghost_rider

I'm still waiting for a date to do mine. How did you find it, did the practice material prepare you for the actual tests?

The practice material is enough I'd say to get your mind in sync with the kind of tests you do on the day......I hope. I'm obviously not sure if I've passed and won't find out till late next week I think.

The group bourdon practice test on this site helped alot I felt. Going in cold without any practice would have been a nightmare I reckon.

Plm87

@Ghost_rider Hope you don't mind me asking but was it just paper tests? No MMI? Just doing the booklet and GBT don't want to be under prepared, I have mine Tuesday.
Good luck to you