• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Plodster

When you sit the tests, do you get the results ? or is it a simple pass/fail and they withhold the info.
You will get results in / around a week or so after Stage 1.
Stage 2 you will know shortly after finishing the tests. If you pass you will go on to do the MMI.
Fail any of them and you head home.

As @glasgowceltic1 says - no scores etc Just a Pass / Fail.

Leospinks

People waiting on courses.. we were told today that there's 144 new drivers starting within the next year so be patient guys. Exciting times

Welshman1

You will get results in / around a week or so after Stage 1.
Stage 2 you will know shortly after finishing the tests. If you pass you will go on to do the MMI.
Fail any of them and you head home.

As @glasgowceltic1 says - no scores etc Just a Pass / Fail.
Thank you for the prompt reply, i have got tests next week. I feel im doing very well on every tests, but the TRP1 is the one which going to catch me. I am a good learner and am able to retain information well, but under these pressurised conditions i just feel its not going to happen. I done the mock test with OPC and scored 10/15 so just below average. feeling anxious now

Simotrfc

People waiting on courses.. we were told today that there's 144 new drivers starting within the next year so be patient guys. Exciting times
This the hardest part of the whole process in my eyes, the wait! Part of me is made up I got through the DMI but seems so hollow with no idea of a start!

This the hardest part of the whole process in my eyes, the wait! Part of me is made up I got through the DMI but seems so hollow with no idea of a start!

Honestly I felt the same, the whole process went so quick I expected an instant start date but as the month's drew on I pretty much gave up. Now I start on the 17th January, it works itself out in the end but the wait is a killer.

wobman

On Moderation
Honestly I felt the same, the whole process went so quick I expected an instant start date but as the month's drew on I pretty much gave up. Now I start on the 17th January, it works itself out in the end but the wait is a killer.
You will have a mix of new and qualified drivers on your course at Chester, it's a very busy time next year for training traincrew. What depot in the north / England are you going to ??

Plodster

Good evening everyone, first time poster, avid reader! I’ll be joining you in Chester on the 18th, really looking forward to getting started and meeting you all via teams on the 17th.
Great stuff. Will be January before we know it!

Logger79

Another new member here, just want to thank everyone that has commented in here, been a great help in preparation. Had the email that I passed my DMI yesterday

Welshman1

Another new member here, just want to thank everyone that has commented in here, been a great help in preparation. Had the email that I passed my DMI yesterday
Well done mate, you must be chuffed. I am at the start of process 1st assessments tomorrow

Plodster

Good evening everyone, first time poster, avid reader! I’ll be joining you in Chester on the 18th, really looking forward to getting started and meeting you all via teams on the 17th.
Which depot are you in for and have you taken the offer of the hotel for the course?

Jordll52

Which depot are you in for and have you taken the offer of the hotel for the course?
Hi Plodster, yeah I’ve taken up the offer of the hotel, I’ll be based in Pwllheli. I think we have 8 on our course in total! Just want to say a big thank you to everyone who has shared info on here it has been invaluable.

Plodster

Hi Plodster, yeah I’ve taken up the offer of the hotel, I’ll be based in Pwllheli. I think we have 8 on our course in total! Just want to say a big thank you to everyone who has shared info on here it has been invaluable.
Ahh good stuff
I’m Anglesey so will see how the travelling goes early on but may well do some nights at the hotel as we go along.

Well done @Logger79 and best of luck @Welshman1

Yeah will see how I go with it
An hour by train for a coffee and some revision time
Will book in for the hotel when the pace ramps up if I need to
You travelling or hotel?

I'm going to use the hotel, I live 2 hours away so don't fancy the commute especially after being caught in an accident that shut the road on my way to the medical.

Managed to find a back way into Chester but don't want to risk that during the course.

wobman

On Moderation
It's a busy time in the training school, if you have a long commute I would recommend staying in the hotel. You get time ti revise and do your coursework without being distracted.
Plus you will find a busy train is not ideal for revision, sometimes you will be lucky to get a seat !