• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Anon87

As far as I am aware (having taken them twice between 5 years and passing both times to 'enhanced') if you passed to standard then you technically did not lose a life. However you will of lost a life towards that specific TOC.

If you fail the actual tests even to standard then of course you lose a life.
I’m with you.

So is ‘enhanced’ the requirement of higher marks? Not extra assessments?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TeaTrain

Indeed it's higher marks. For example if you needed to get 6 lines and was allowed 3 mistakes on group bourdon to pass to standard( not actual mark, I have no idea obviously) then I would require 10 lines with no mistakes to achieve enhanced.

Anon87

Indeed it's higher marks. For example if you needed to get 6 lines and was allowed 3 mistakes on group bourdon to pass to standard( not actual mark, I have no idea obviously) then I would require 10 lines with no mistakes to achieve enhanced.
And to make it even simpler, I guess all of the TOCs that use enhanced have their own pass rate!

TeaTrain

They do indeed! When they say enhanced they are talking about their own requirements.

When I applied for virgin a few years back they had extremely high requirements according to the OPC assessor. TOCS sometimes also put more tests in additional to the mandatory ones.

This is what I have gathered over the years anyway. And of the other more experienced members may know more though.

When TFW was still ATW I know that for the initial stage of sift the application form was computer tested which looked for certain keywords. It was then given a score based on criteria. The highest scoring people want through to the next round. Of course this company ACORN is new to me.

Raphaël N.

Evening people, foreigner applying here. I just submitted my CV a few minutes ago as I write those lines, and having sweeped through this thread, I noticed that there were mentions of a "countdown" in the questionnaire one is supposed to receive just a few hours/days after initial application. I would to know a more definite answer, is there, or is there not a countdown once you open the said questionnaire?

Flow1

Evening people, foreigner applying here. I just submitted my CV a few minutes ago as I write those lines, and having sweeped through this thread, I noticed that there were mentions of a "countdown" in the questionnaire one is supposed to receive just a few hours/days after initial application. I would to know a more definite answer, is there, or is there not a countdown once you open the said questionnaire?
No countdown, it says to allow yourself an hour to complete but you're not timed.

ILoveLamp

Are you not over an hour away?

TeaTrain

When it was ATW they allowed relocation. Not sure now of course TFW. Considering its mostly the same people, managers etc I can't see it changing. Especially for areas like Holyhead where there isn't always enough people who meet the criteria.

Raphaël N.

Are you not over an hour away?
Weeelll...As of currently I am, but I am ready to move very quickly shall I get a job in the UK, I have an EU citizenship and am thinking of using the EU Settlement Scheme.

When it was ATW they allowed relocation. Not sure now of course TFW. Considering its mostly the same people, managers etc I can't see it changing. Especially for areas like Holyhead where there isn't always enough people who meet the criteria.
That's my hope anyway. Of course this puts me at a disadvantage compared to the locals, but that's only fair for them. After all, I'm a foreigner applying to potentially one of *their* job. As I said up above, I am very flexible and ready to react and move for as soon as I get an offer, may it be from TfW or someone else. Given, I'm gonna be in a bit of hurry if I do get the post...But I won't gain anything from not trying.

TeaTrain

@RachelT Your going for one hell of an opportunity that's what! it's an extremely lengthy process but stick to it, persevere and keep going if unsuccessful this time. It's well worth the effort and not only is the job security excellent but working on the railway is a challenging, rewarding career. Good luck!

TeaTrain

Weeelll...As of currently I am, but I am ready to move very quickly shall I get a job in the UK, I have an EU citizenship and am thinking of using the EU Settlement Scheme.

That's my hope anyway. Of course this puts me at a disadvantage compared to the locals, but that's only fair for them. After all, I'm a foreigner applying to potentially one of *their* job. As I said up above, I am very flexible and ready to react and move for as soon as I get an offer, may it be from TfW or someone else. Given, I'm gonna be in a bit of hurry if I do get the post...But I won't gain anything from not trying.

It's not 'their' job though. It's whoever gets it. Each and every person has equal opportunity in this country to train, work or apply for a role. The people who moan about it being 'their' job should stop. It's old and they don't realise the amount of foreigners that do jobs most British people turn their nose at. Foreigners prop up this country in ways they probably don't even realise.

Anyway it's going off topic lol. Back to the application process. A little advice. They will ask and expect you to have plans ALREADY in place about your relocation. You perhaps already do which is great. But if you don't you should think about it now. I got asked anyway. Again it may be different now. The railway is always changing after all.

RachelT

@RachelT Your going for one hell of an opportunity that's what! it's an extremely lengthy process but stick to it, persevere and keep going if unsuccessful this time. It's well worth the effort and not only is the job security excellent but working on the railway is a challenging, rewarding career. Good luck!

Thank you! They've just sent the full application now. I'm nervously excited haha.
I've been told they've had thousands of applicants already

dan_156

With so many applicants it will come down to as always about your previous experience and how it relates to train driving, you can live 10 minutes away if your background is not suitable you won’t be invited. I assume the application form is filtered through a computer system to check key words and key industries they prefer people to come from or else it would take forever to do the shortlisting process. That’s the way it normally works.

TeaTrain

Yes as I previously mentioned this is how ATW used to do it. I would be surprised if they went back to old fashion sifting now. Some TOCS still do.

Yes @RachelT it is normal for these positions that for every 1 position there is several hundred/ thousand applications. It's a highly competitive role due to the job security and wage. However many think it's going to be a walk in the park or 'easy' money. Those people will fail. Because it's far from it.

TeaTrain

It doesn't matter what industry you come from but your right they do prefer certain ones like armed forces, police etc. People start from all walks of life though. As you said if you show relevant experience, no matter where it comes from you will do well.

RachelT

It doesn't matter what industry you come from but your right they do prefer certain ones like armed forces, police etc. People start from all walks of life though. As you said if you show relevant experience, no matter where it comes from you will do well.
How about the government?

With so many applicants it will come down to as always about your previous experience and how it relates to train driving, you can live 10 minutes away if your background is not suitable you won’t be invited. I assume the application form is filtered through a computer system to check key words and key industries they prefer people to come from or else it would take forever to do the shortlisting process. That’s the way it normally works.

Let’s hope they like IT consultants who talk about safety and customer service a lot then. :D

ILoveLamp

No TGV near you? Surely that would be nicer to drive..

TeaTrain

As in your a government worker? If you relate your work and processes to the relevancy and skills needed to be a Train Driver your ok. You can talk about life experiences too.

They want to see you understand what makes good customer service. Why safety is important and flexibility to the needs of the business.

MA8141

I’d probably disagree with the armed forces one etc, when leaving you find your skills aren’t really recognised. I know this isn’t the topic but I had been turned down every time with TfW even though I’m ex armed forces with plenty of relatable skills. I agree with the later of your post, relevant experience is a winner no matter where it comes from. Everyone has a chance so absolutely go for it !

xabi83

Had an email just, saying they are looking to shortlist and let people know either way as soon as possible.

Anon87

Had an email just, saying they are looking to shortlist and let people know either way as soon as possible.
Just had this too.

It is my understanding that a computer does this part of the sift (someone correct me if I’m wrong) - not actual people.

Last edited:

Boozle78

I’ve applied and just received the same email Good luck everyone!
I’m really surprised the adverts are still running though if they’ve had thousands of applications and historically they only run for a few days. Does anyone know if there’s many jobs they are recruiting for?

RachelT

I've just done the full application. It took me 3.5 hours. If that's not good enough then well, it's not meant to be is it

RachelT

As in your a government worker? If you relate your work and processes to the relevancy and skills needed to be a Train Driver your ok. You can talk about life experiences too.

They want to see you understand what makes good customer service. Why safety is important and flexibility to the needs of the business.
Civil servant then a teacher before that. I've done the best I can. What will be will be

TeaTrain

I’d probably disagree with the armed forces one etc, when leaving you find your skills aren’t really recognised. I know this isn’t the topic but I had been turned down every time with TfW even though I’m ex armed forces with plenty of relatable skills. I agree with the later of your post, relevant experience is a winner no matter where it comes from. Everyone has a chance so absolutely go for it !

Times must of changed from ATW to TFW then :( ATW always looked for armed forces etc along with other TOCS. Nearly all in my course as a guard was ex armed forces or police.

Good luck to all. It's great they are looking for people quickly!

PavanAcorn

Just had this too.

It is my understanding that a computer does this part of the sift (someone correct me if I’m wrong) - not actual people.

This email you received as part of our fortnightly updates is to confirm everything required has been received and processed through our technology, all ok so far, some individuals may receive requests for more information where necessary - your application is now pending review by one of the sifting team at TfW for shortlisting please bare with us as this process may take some time.

Raphaël N.

Anyway it's going off topic lol. Back to the application process. A little advice. They will ask and expect you to have plans ALREADY in place about your relocation. You perhaps already do which is great. But if you don't you should think about it now. I got asked anyway. Again it may be different now. The railway is always changing after all.

It's the beginning of a plan, which I'm going to look further into as weeks go by, don't you worry, but thanks for reminding me!

No TGV near you? Surely that would be nicer to drive..

Haha, you wish. The SNCF has a very archaic merit and prestige system in which it is required to have more than 12 years of experience within the SNCF to even think about applying for a TGV driving position. From my research, and from acquaintances in the company, this is very outdated though, as in reality the TGV isn't as difficult to drive as the SNCF would like you to think.

It may come to your wonder why I didn't choose to work in my "home country", though. I would say, there's several reasons, and I can also say that it's possible that I am considered as overqualified to SNCF standards, actually. Their goal is to give access to those who can't qualify in many areas, a lot, even if it means closing doors to others.