• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RachelT

Another 'update on your application' email from Acorn.

I think I applied around 23 July.

Still, at least it's not a no... Yet!

Octopus28

Asking on behalf of my mate who isn’t on here! There isn’t a thread on it but does anyone know the T&C’s for a qualified driver at Chester TFW. Also what the training rate is going in as a qualified driver?

thanks for any help :)

Ghost_rider

No worries.

Good luck on your assessments too!

No doubt you'll be like me and go from being obsessed with preparation for your tests, to then doing the obligatory email refresh every 2 minutes after completing them! Haha.

Samhill66

i’ve just applied to be a trainee driver at Carmarthen for Transport for Wales, if I get the role; what sort of routes would I be doing and hours? thanks

DA1

All routes for Carmarthen can be found here under the TfW subheading:

Unsure about times so maybe someone else could answer.

Samhill66

All routes for Carmarthen can be found here under the TfW subheading:

Unsure about times so maybe someone else could answer.

great, thanks!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Established and detailed thread here

SouthernGate

I've had a little look through this thread and others, and I believe from what I'm reading that we're likely not going to hear anything about who has moved on to the interview stages (for Cardiff) or not been successful until around October or potentially November right?

Seeing the pasted message from the March recruitment drive, it was around 4 months until they were told who got interviews? Or was that unusually long because of COVID?

Sorry if this is a question that gets asked a ridiculous amount of times and no one can know the answer to, I am but a new 1-post member here!

Ghost_rider

Haha I know! It's crazy how many people apply!

Good luck to everyone doing their stage 1 assessments this week and to those who have already completed them.

Hopefully it won't be too long before finding out the results and then (hopefully) it's on to panicking about the assessments in Cardiff instead! :lol:

ILoveLamp

Probably will be 2021 until anyone does a assessment for the July applications going by the pace they are working at.
Dude, you definitely have a negative view on every aspect of the recruitment process judging by your recent posts! As we are still in a Covid 19 bubble, some people still working from home, many out of work therefore likely even larger number of applicants etc etc, I’d say it may take a while to sift through a few applications! If you have applied, and you get regular updates via email regardless of content then I’d say firstly, be happy you are being sent emails as you know you are in the system, and secondly, just wait until they move forward with the applications! Mentioning your negative feelings on here isn’t gonna speed up the process. The process seems a long one at the best of times, never mind the current climate.

Octopus28

During the interview stage all of the T&C's would be explained & ASLEFs website has some information. It's a 4 day week an averaged 35hr week, plus there's a commitment to work booked Sundays as overtime on a ratio that's depot specific. Which may change in the future if Sunday are part of the working week as planned by TFW.
If successful your mate would have to obviously learn traction & core routes, some time spent in the training centre then paired with an instructor. Is your mate is a pqa driver it gets a bit more complicated
Yeah most of that they already know thanks though! They didn’t really go into detail about money during the interview (which is understandable) It was purely just whether they do a training rate for qualified drivers like they do with new trainees or if they give you the full rate as training is only very short :) They start the start of November so thought I’d ask on here haha! Thank you for replying

Haru

Probably will be 2021 until anyone does a assessment for the July applications going by the pace they are working at.

I haven’t heard yet but I personally know of a July applicant that has been invited for stage 1 this month.

jezzer34

I find it a bit strange they have had this application open so long, not sure if it still is. But it gets to a point where you just have to many applications to manage it efficiently surely.
For example someone above mentioned 10k applications, unsure how accurate that is but wouldn't surprise me given how long the job has been advertised. I get they might find the ideal applicant but also can you properly assess and look into that many applications. i have had about 5 emails now saying something like everything is still under consideration etc. Just seems to me its been left open way to long.

TeaTrain

They may have 10k applicant from the start. But...

Depending on the TOC and order they do things

When you start with the application a computer will scan and sift through looking for relevant keywords and if that criteria is met. Ok some will fail there.

Congrats! Your invited to do online assessments. Complete the questionnaire and math test... Many will fail here.

Another more in depth questionnaire, or a telephone interview or both. Some will fail.

Already more than half will be gone by now. Then you factor in the actual assessment from OPC, interview and medical. By the time you get to the end not many people are left.

The reality is many many people apply to the role as it is always advertised in the media etc. They always mention the salary and how you don't need any qualifications. Which is why these job are so competitive. But what people don't realise is the sheer level of work and responsibility to get that key. The amount of times I have had a friend of a friend or someone tell me that all you do is push a lever.... I then invite them to do the tests if they think they know the job.

Of the 10k applicants only a fraction have the actual qualities. I guess what I am saying is that you have all found this website. Am active here and have showed willingness and determination that you want the role. That alone will make you go far. :)

Last edited:

Slipper

Hi all, just a quick question. I have an assessment soon at Cardiff. What's the best place for parking please?

Cheers